Pike vs Halberd 05/19/2009 05:56 PM CDT
Right now I'm backtraining halberd, but I'd like to know how a lot of you feel pike compares to halberd. Is it worth training both? Do you feel that pikes do as well as halberds do?

Right now I'm using a khuj and I absolutely love it. Are there any pikes which are comparable in damage? If so, where do you get them?

- Terra
Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/19/2009 08:21 PM CDT
I like halberds so much I had my OTE Halberd altered:

a blue-steel halberd with a wickedly curved blade

A long shaft of twisted driftwood leads to a razor-edged curved blade. The sides of the blue-steel blade are deeply etched with intricate crimson-stained symbols. At the base of the shaft is a skull-shaped counterweight carved out of ivory.

Never could get into pikes

Mind of Many
Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/20/2009 08:19 AM CDT
Pikes have been hard for me, I've found that training the HT has been alot faster and easier than trying to gain exp using pike combo's. Maybe Im just doing it wrong. I think that pikes in general could deal with getting some more impact damage for the heavier vairities, I think that would result in some heavier/stronger/better hits. Leth has the ngalio which is mod slice IIRC, but I couldnt find a combo to use which made the most use of it/netted me the most exp.

In the end I stick with short hunting spears for the weight and speed, and try to remember never to parry.

Anyone who has lost track of time when using a computer knows the propensity to dream, the urge to make dreams come true and the tendency to miss lunch.
~Tim Berners-Lee
Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/20/2009 10:01 AM CDT
Halberds have more defense-friendly combos than pikes, and generally do more damage. Some weapon classes need work.
Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/20/2009 10:18 AM CDT
I use both.

Pikes can do very good damage however to use the combo for good damage with a pike you have to give up a good amount of defence. I use:

Jab, Sweep, Thrust,Lunge

Very good damage with the jab, thrust and lunge however you open yoruself up on the lunge to getting hit as your defence drops a good bit. If you just using the pike to train for fun and not hunting with it at level it is a good viable weapon choice.

Definately whould not recommend pike for primary weapon choice.
Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/20/2009 12:44 PM CDT
I don't know what you mean by OTE halberd, but I really like that, a little better than mine actually. But, the khuj is still my favorite halberd so far.

a blackened steel khuj with a warped bone handle
The tip of the axe blade features a cap of sharpened damaska boar tusk, ready to mutilate and maim at the wielder's will. Molded from a pair of conjoined blight ogre femurs, the handle twists at sporadic intervals, its surface etched with stylized musical notes that trail down the shaft like falling stars. A single westanuryn stinger dangles from a braid of black goblin hide, occasionally forming a hairy spiral around the handle with forceful, robust movement.

- Terra
Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/20/2009 01:06 PM CDT
<<OTE halberd

Over the Edge halberd. Its a fest shop with some nifty weapons.

Fun Fact: The shop has the distinction of having the best weapons available in the Plat instance since they're better than player made at the moment.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/20/2009 01:19 PM CDT
>>Over The Edge

In case it wasn't clear, this shop is a Plat-only perk.

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/20/2009 08:45 PM CDT
And the fallen I believe, But yes, Over the Edge from Plat is the source of mine. Then altered last week.

Mind of Many
Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/20/2009 09:15 PM CDT
>And the fallen I believe, But yes, Over the Edge from Plat is the source of mine. Then altered last week.

No, we miss out on many normal merchants in TF. We definitely don't get the plat better-than-forged quality weapons.
Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/20/2009 09:31 PM CDT
<<We definitely don't get the plat better-than-forged quality weapons.

To clarify, they're not better than capped forged quality. They're better than the current limit of player forged quality in Plat. Low numbers of relatively less skilled crafters means very low supplies of relatively inferior crafted weapons compared to Prime/TF, so this merchant was created to compensate.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/20/2009 10:09 PM CDT
>To clarify, they're not better than capped forged quality. They're better than the current limit of player forged quality in Plat. Low numbers of relatively less skilled crafters means very low supplies of relatively inferior crafted weapons compared to Prime/TF, so this merchant was created to compensate.

Don't that merchant have weapons like short staff and light blunt which aren't forged?
Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/21/2009 09:58 AM CDT
>>To clarify, they're not better than capped forged quality. They're better than the current limit of player forged quality in Plat. Low numbers of relatively less skilled crafters means very low supplies of relatively inferior crafted weapons compared to Prime/TF, so this merchant was created to compensate.

Yep. OTE was designed to fall in between store-bought and capped forged quality weapons. Better-than-store-bought is the term used when it first appeared, I believe.

>>Don't that merchant have weapons like short staff and light blunt which aren't forged?

Yep again. Is it safe to post a link to the whole collection? I don't want to start complaints or give out secrets, but seems to me popst have been made here and there with apps from the store before? Someone let me know if it is allowed and wanted, and I'll post it.

Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/21/2009 11:35 AM CDT
Put it on Elanthipedia!

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian Extrordi...Well somewhat average
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/21/2009 12:27 PM CDT
>Put it on Elanthipedia!

Yeah, this.
Re: Pike vs Halberd 05/21/2009 05:21 PM CDT
>>Put it on Elanthipedia!

What a great idea. I'll try to get this done tonight, or tomorrow morning.