Pike/HT - Any good? 05/11/2009 06:04 AM CDT
Is this any good? It can go in backpacks and such too.

A javelin is a heavy thrown and pike melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
fair puncture damage
poor slice damage
poor impact damage

You are certain that the javelin is reasonably balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the javelin is somewhat flimsy, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the javelin weighs about 21 stones.
You are certain that the javelin is worth exactly 375 kronars.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.
Re: Pike/HT - Any good? 05/11/2009 09:40 AM CDT
I find javelins to be great as a pure training weapon. They allow you to get multiple hits on a target with a minimum RT. I also find that due to the lower puncture they have a tendancy to lodge less, which is also good for starting out with.

However once you start to get the stats and skills to go with heavier/more puncture, you will see more damage at some of the same RT numbers. I havnt used a javelin since I broke 150 in pike/HT. I get the same RT on both them and hunting spears, but spears are at mod puncture and only a few stones heavier.

Anyone who has lost track of time when using a computer knows the propensity to dream, the urge to make dreams come true and the tendency to miss lunch.
~Tim Berners-Lee
Re: Pike/HT - Any good? 05/11/2009 12:29 PM CDT
Those javelins would be nice to parry with, if they weren't made out of paper.

Assuming that's the shard javelin, it actually weighs 35 stones. It has pretty low damage stats for its weight. For 5 more stones, a golden tassled spear from theren is heavy/low/low fairly/fairly. I'm not really a fan, but if it works for you, it's fine.
Re: Pike/HT - Any good? 05/11/2009 04:43 PM CDT
> Assuming that's the shard javelin, it actually weighs 35 stones. It has pretty low damage stats for its weight. For 5 more stones, a golden tassled spear from theren is heavy/low/low fairly/fairly. I'm not really a fan, but if it works for you, it's fine.

It's forged. I've been deciding on a new weapon for my character. I think I've decided to go LE offhand/MB main hand. Pike combos just seem a bit terrible.

Although the idea of attacking from pole is very cool. Such a tough decision :(
Re: Pike/HT - Any good? 05/11/2009 04:49 PM CDT
>Although the idea of attacking from pole is very cool. Such a tough decision :(

If that's your motivation, I strongly suggest halberd or 2HE. Halberd is quite frequently overlooked, but I love it.
Re: Pike/HT - Any good? 05/11/2009 06:55 PM CDT
What do you use for Halberd weapon?

I have Wicked Halberd great impact 72 stones, looking for something a little better or a little bit lighter.
Re: Pike/HT - Any good? 05/11/2009 07:29 PM CDT
>I have Wicked Halberd great impact 72 stones, looking for something a little better or a little bit lighter.

That shop sells the heaviest version of every weapon.

I use the slender khuj (low/severe/heavy poorly/well 62 stones average strength) or the partisan/tzece (65 stones heavy/heavy/fair fairly/fairly fairly sturdy).

For a good starter weapon, either get the short hafted halberd or one of the halberds from Rossman's (moderate/moderate/fair fairly/fairly fairly sturdy 40 stones).

Another lighter weapon is the scythes that plague wraiths drop in P5 (fair/heavy/fair fairly/reasonably 50 stones)
Re: Pike/HT - Any good? 05/12/2009 08:00 AM CDT
Note, there are two versions of this one, this one is melee only, the other is pole ranged, but not stats aren't as good.

A short narrow-bladed halberd with a cambrinth-inlaid ironwood shaft is a halberd melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
heavy puncture damage
heavy slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the halberd is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the narrow-bladed halberd is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

Not sure on the weight, but it is pretty light 40-50 stones I think.

Lochaber axe is nice as well, but heavy.
Re: Pike/HT - Any good? 05/12/2009 08:13 AM CDT
Pike/HT I would just go for a short handled hunting spear.

Mod punc and aren't made of paper. Especially fun with bond weapon if your a pallie since it will lodge then rip itself out and come back to you <3.

As far as halberds are concerned, I love them one of the best weapons if you ask me, unfortunately their aren't any people around anymore who can forge them I think.

I use to a long time ago have a forged halberd, pole-hitting 40 stone and heavy/heavy/fair can't remember balance/strenght but they were fairly good.
Something like that, its been awhile.

Those things can be monsters :)

I just wish pikes and halberds were able to get severe/bone crushing puncture. At the very least a very good forged pike should be able to accomplish BC puncture.

Halberds in general are really balanced, they are also so in RL. Halberd-like weapons tended to have a powerful slice / thrusting attack at range and are superbly balanced.

[Space For Rent]
Re: Pike/HT - Any good? 05/12/2009 12:16 PM CDT
>Halberds in general are really balanced, they are also so in RL. Halberd-like weapons tended to have a powerful slice / thrusting attack at range and are superbly balanced.

I don't think I've seen a storebought halberd above fairly balanced. Not sure about forged with grinding for balance (because I can't yet), but what makes you say this?
Re: Pike/HT - Any good? 05/12/2009 12:48 PM CDT
He was referring to real life.
Re: Pike/HT - Any good? 05/12/2009 02:50 PM CDT
>He was referring to real life.

>Halberds in general are really balanced, they are also so in RL.
Re: Pike/HT - Any good? 05/12/2009 03:16 PM CDT
Maybe he wasn't.
Re: Pike/HT - Any good? 05/13/2009 04:21 AM CDT
perspective, In regards to two-handed weapons fairly is good balance, might have over exaggerated a bit in my enthusiasm :p

I've seen reasonably on them though. Can't remember which weapon it was or whether it was pike/halberd.

When it comes to two-handed weapons I'm use to the "dismal balance" so fairly is like a breath of fresh air.

[Space For Rent]
Re: Pike/HT - Any good? 05/13/2009 02:23 PM CDT
>When it comes to two-handed weapons I'm use to the "dismal balance" so fairly is like a breath of fresh air.

...if you use a claymore. Bastard swords are reasonably balanced.