Pike User Tips 06/16/2008 06:10 PM CDT
I have gone full circle in my weapon selection and thus have started using Pike again.

So any long term pike users with suggestions/tips?
Currently I use the Golden Tasseled Spear from Theren.

Can I use the Gold Lance to fulfill my blunt weapon quota?

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: Pike User Tips 06/16/2008 06:21 PM CDT
I never found a pike weapon I was happy with. I stopped training it at 158, but before I stopped I was using a golden tassled spear too.

The main problem with them is that if you parry at all the spear will quickly get destroyed. The short hunting spears from arthe dale are more sturdy, but do less damage. I tried a few other spears, but none really stood out. I hear there are decent fest ones, but we don't have those in TF.
Re: Pike User Tips 06/16/2008 06:25 PM CDT
<<The main problem with them is that if you parry at all the spear will quickly get destroyed.>>

JMF90, thanks for the response. So the main drawback (other then their horrible rating in your testing ;)) is the construction. I will check the weapon compendium to see if anything more sturdier is available.

Re: Pike User Tips 06/16/2008 11:09 PM CDT
You will want to get either one of these spears sold at Edword's Accoutrements:

a balanced boar spear chiseled with rampaging centaurs
a fire-gilded spear tethered with a dark blue pennon

Both are the same as the golden spear from Theren but have slightly better construction.

Ideally, you should look for the swappable pikes from To the Teeth. The ox-tongue spear apps. similar to the golden tassled spear from Theren, but weighs 55 stones and is moderately strong.

a short steel spear is 50512 Dokoras
The slender steel head widens into a trio of side blades before it meets the red oak shaft.

A short steel spear is a pike melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
moderate puncture damage
low slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the spear is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

A short steel spear is a short staff melee-ranged weapon.

fair puncture damage
poor slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the spear is fairly balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You believe that the steel spear is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

The steel spear is made with metal.
You are certain that the steel spear weighs exactly 35 stones.
You are certain that the steel spear is worth exactly 50512 dokoras, 70000 kronars, or 56000 lirums.

a short iron spear is 25256 Dokoras
A slender iron head is securely attached to the short oak shaft.

A short iron spear is a pike melee-ranged weapon.

moderate puncture damage
poor slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the spear is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

A short iron spear is a short staff melee-ranged weapon.

fair puncture damage
poor slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the spear is fairly balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are confident that the iron spear is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The iron spear is made with metal.
You are certain that the iron spear weighs exactly 30 stones.
You are certain that the iron spear is worth exactly 25256 dokoras, 35000 kronars, or 28000 lirums.

a short bone spear is 25256 Dokoras
This unusually straight length of bone ends in a sharp obsidian tip.

A short bone spear is a pike melee-ranged weapon.

fair puncture damage
poor slice damage
poor impact damage

A short bone spear is a short staff melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
poor slice damage
fair impact damage

You are confident that the bone spear is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the bone spear weighs exactly 25 stones.
You are certain that the bone spear is worth exactly 25256 dokoras, 35000 kronars, or 28000 lirums.

On the walnut bin you see a leaf-blade spear with an oaken haft and an ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haft.

a leaf-blade spear with an oaken haft is 42574 Dokoras
An iron butt balances the short wide blade, making either end of the oaken haft a potent weapon.

A leaf-blade spear with an oaken haft is a pike pole-ranged weapon.

moderate puncture damage
low slice damage
low impact damage

A leaf-blade spear with an oaken haft is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
poor slice damage
heavy impact damage

You believe that the leaf-blade spear is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

The leaf-blade spear is made with metal.
You are certain that the leaf-blade spear weighs exactly 45 stones.
You are certain that the leaf-blade spear is worth exactly 42574 dokoras, 59000 kronars, or 47200 lirums.

an ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haft is 42574 Dokoras
The length of the stout oak haft is set with black iron studs that contrast with the bright steel blade.

An ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haft is a pike pole-ranged weapon.

heavy puncture damage
low slice damage
low impact damage

An ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haft is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.

fair puncture damage
low slice damage
heavy impact damage

You estimate that the ox-tongue spear is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

The ox-tongue spear is made with metal.
You are certain that the ox-tongue spear weighs exactly 55 stones.
You are certain that the ox-tongue spear is worth exactly 42574 dokoras, 59000 kronars, or 47200 lirums.

-http://www.drfuturepast.com/DRealms/lists/simufest/tth.htm

Other than that, pikes sold in Crossing were changed some time ago and were chopped down to 60 stones.

If I were to spite my face, in my opinion, cutting off my nose would be a reasonably good start.
Re: Pike User Tips 06/16/2008 11:12 PM CDT
Also, the combo still sucks. Using a pole ranged pike I made a macro to retreat/lunge to make pikes somewhat effective without getting killed or severely beaten.

If I were to spite my face, in my opinion, cutting off my nose would be a reasonably good start.
Re: Pike User Tips 06/16/2008 11:22 PM CDT
Godkin, thanks for the weapon list. Glad to see some in the shops that will fit the bill.

<<Also, the combo still sucks.>>
With my routine I stay incred/overwhelm, is there an eventual point where it will turn around?

Re: Pike User Tips 06/17/2008 12:05 AM CDT
>With my routine I stay incred/overwhelm, is there an eventual point where it will turn around?

The problem isnt with balance/position, the problem is in the attacks themselves. When combat 2.0 was released, "thrust" received a greater defensive penalty, while "jab's" damage output was completely nerfed. Add to that the fact that "sweep" virtually does nothing and you end up with a sucktastic combo that does minimum damage stacked with defensive penalties.

The only way I can hunt is to (hopefully) stun opponents with a lunge shot before I can begin to do any real damage.

Re: Pike User Tips 06/17/2008 12:15 AM CDT
As a fellow pike user, I'm currently using a hunthsleg. I also happen to be one of the few suckers in the "Pike as my main weapon" group. Doesn't really to matter to me that much as a trader, I've got 65 ranks in it(my highest weapon skill) and over 100 defenses, gotta love weapons tert. I'm not a strong guy, and the 20 stone hunthsleg is perfect for me. Sadly, a 20 stone ME or 28 stone bastie far outperform it, and that was with 0 starting ranks when I came out here. But, I don't complain, because it makes me a unique snowflake. Go go pikes! Weee!

~Zaktraw
Re: Pike User Tips 06/17/2008 10:13 AM CDT
<<The problem isnt with balance/position, the problem is in the attacks themselves.>>
My combo is: Parry, Jab, Thrust, Lunge
I can't remember if I had Parry or not, I just made the combo the other day since the other one was too long, did low damage, and took too long to get to incred/overwhelm.

I am not sure if I have ever stunned anything with my spear.

<<As a fellow pike user, I'm currently using a hunthsleg>>
Where can these hunthsleg be obtained?

<<few suckers in the "Pike as my main weapon" group>>
Yeah, I am willing to be in this group as long as I can get a spear that won't fall apart.

<<the 20 stone hunthsleg is perfect for me.>>
I can only really use the heavier spears with Courage up.

Re: Pike User Tips 06/17/2008 10:44 AM CDT
I believe the hunthsleg is from one of the festivals, I picked it up fairly cheap at an auction as well as a couple others. Before it, I was using the lance from Steel Claw Clan(I think? Definitely that area) which was also light, plus had the bonus of being able to be used 1 handed(If I remember correctly)...

The irony of this is that I lost my hunthsleg last night in sprites. Apparently I was using it as an HT and left it on the ground. If anyone happened to pick it up, I'd be more than happy to give a reward for it's return. ><

~Zaktraw
Re: Pike User Tips 06/17/2008 10:47 AM CDT
>>The irony of this is that I lost my hunthsleg last night in sprites. Apparently I was using it as an HT and left it on the ground. If anyone happened to pick it up, I'd be more than happy to give a reward for it's return.

Ignore that, apparently it's not showing up in my inventory window but I do still have it...here's an app:

A short-hafted hunthsleg adorned with green and brown spidersilk streamers is a heavy thrown and pike melee-ranged weapon.

moderate puncture damage
low slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the hunthsleg is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the short-hafted hunthsleg is somewhat flimsy, and is in pristine condition.

You are confident that the short-hafted hunthsleg weighs about 20 stones.
You are certain that the short-hafted hunthsleg is worth exactly 8000 lirums, 10000 kronars, or 7216 dokoras.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

~Zaktraw
Re: Pike User Tips 06/17/2008 03:15 PM CDT
Of the common weapons I'd say the top 3 are Golden tassled spear (heavy puncture decent balance poor construction 40 stones) Silver tipped spear (Mod puncture pretty good construction 50 stones decent balance) Golden lance (heavy puncture One handed 60 stones poor balance). You can get the lance at scc the silver tipped spear in Shard and the golden tassled spears in Theren.

"Can I use the Gold Lance to fulfill my blunt weapon quota?"

The lance is a pike weapon not blunt

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Pike User Tips 06/17/2008 03:49 PM CDT
<<The lance is a pike weapon not blunt>>
True, but it has mod/fair impact damage.

Re: Pike User Tips 06/17/2008 09:19 PM CDT
>My combo is: Parry, Jab, Thrust, Lunge

The full combo is dodge, jab, sweep, thrust, feint, lunge. To make combos easier I use dodge, attack x3, feint, lunge.

>Where can these hunthsleg be obtained?

Those are the exactly the same as a short hunting spear from Arthe. I usually forget about them, but they are pretty good for 20 stones and easily replaceable.

>True, but it has mod/fair impact damage.

Impact does zero damage when using "puncture" type attacks.