Short Steel spear viability. 02/20/2008 06:00 PM CST
Question: Are the short steel spear from To the Teeth viable as an every day weapon? I love the concept for my gnome, and I suspect that the moderate puncture in pike mode might be workable. My biggest concern is that the fair puncture and impact in SS mode would make them useless past anything bigger than an eel. SO how about it. EIther as pike or SS, could my lil gnome use this as an at-level weapon?

A short steel spear is a pike melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
moderate puncture damage
low slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the spear is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

A short steel spear is a short staff melee-ranged weapon.

fair puncture damage
poor slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the spear is fairly balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the steel spear is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The steel spear is made with metal.
40 stones
You are certain that the steel spear is worth exactly 70000 kronars.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

--Player of many, master of none--
Re: Short Steel spear viability. 02/21/2008 12:53 AM CST
Anyone have a balanced boar spear they'd be willing to part with? I could even trade a short steel spear for it..
Re: Short Steel spear viability. 02/21/2008 05:30 AM CST
I believe I do, you can shoot me an IM at Craetosdr.
Re: Short Steel spear viability. 02/21/2008 06:09 AM CST
<<SO how about it. EIther as pike or SS, could my lil gnome use this as an at-level weapon?

I think the short steel spears are one of the best SS in the game. Storebought SS have just impact damage, the highest being moderate (one level above fair) I believe. But I would think fair/none/fair would equal if not be better than none/none/moderate. SS was just never made to be super powerful.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Short Steel spear viability. 02/21/2008 06:13 AM CST
>>I think the short steel spears are one of the best SS in the game.

Thank you for the reply. Now I just have to find one for sale. :)

Re: Short Steel spear viability. 02/21/2008 06:35 AM CST
This is purely opinion, but neither pike nor shot staff are viable weapon categories. In fact those two always make the top 5 most useless weapon types.

If spears are your thing, find something else to parry with and use a pike/HT spear and be HT prime. If you want to be SS prime... I salute your self inflicted pain :)

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Ambassador of the Ilithi Court, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, ... still a Ranger
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Short Steel spear viability. 02/21/2008 12:22 PM CST
>>>This is purely opinion, but neither pike nor shot staff are viable weapon categories. In fact those two always make the top 5 most useless weapon types.

Pike is at least trainable, you just have to over-train defenses to avoid getting wrecked every time you use your high-damage maneuvers.

Short staff is simply painful.
Prime: Malkien
Prime: (Necromancer Bob- coming to DR in '08!)
TF: Ganymede
Re: Short Steel spear viability. 02/21/2008 02:31 PM CST
Hmm. What guild? For instance - a WM, MM, or maybe even Bard with disabling spells might be able to do it. Or a trader, where a weapon is just a toy, that could work too. Any combat heavy-class would probably be setting up for failure.

However, IMO...RP ueber alles, so if that's the case...go nuts.
Re: Short Steel spear viability. 02/21/2008 07:02 PM CST
>>Hmm. What guild? For instance - a WM, MM, or maybe even Bard with disabling spells might be able to do it.

That's encouraging and makes sense. This would be a Gnome Moon Mage.

Re: Short Steel spear viability. 02/22/2008 01:25 PM CST
In that case, i would say go for it, especially since it's an idea you want to work with. It won't be easy and it will never be as effective as say a forged sabre; but at the same time, weapons tert, no weapon requirements, combined with the affinity (or complete lack thereof) of gnomes to straight melee combat, means that any weapon you choose is going to be severely hindered. At that point, the minor hindrance of picking one of the weapons that isn't in the top 5 won't make any difference.
Re: Short Steel spear viability. 02/27/2008 10:40 AM CST
I traded my short steel spear for this one. Note: I only train pikes, not short staff or quarter staff, so I didn't even look at those stats on either spear.

An ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haft is a pike pole-ranged weapon.

heavy puncture damage
low slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the spear is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

An ox-tongue spear with a stout iron-studded haft is a quarter staff pole-ranged weapon.

fair puncture damage
low slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the ox-tongue spear is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

The ox-tongue spear is made with metal.
You are certain that the ox-tongue spear weighs about 55 stones.
You are certain that the ox-tongue spear is worth exactly 59000 kronars.

I have been MUCH happier since. It's a tad heavy so if you don't have the stats to back it up I wouldn't recommend it. The short steel spear fit in my harness, where I have to wear the new one over my shoulder. To be fair, though, I trained pike just fine with the short steel spear. The new one hits a tad harder and looks better, that was the reason for my change. Good luck!

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria
"A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His words speak only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Short Steel spear viability. 04/04/2008 09:08 PM CDT
Where can I find one of these short steel spears?
Re: Short Steel spear viability. 04/05/2008 01:20 PM CDT
They were a fest item, so try traders.