Lunge Work-around 08/12/2007 09:26 AM CDT
So... I'm curious, but how do you all go about training the Pike skill when LUNGE gives such a horrible defensive penalty?

It seems whenever I use it, it's like a dice roll on if I'll get nailed right after it or not.

__
~Leilond, the one who is backtraining yet again and who is obsessed with power.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leilondsootherin.png
Re: Lunge Work-around 08/12/2007 11:11 AM CDT
Unless you're sure you're about to kill it, try feint lunge instead.

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Advisor of Ilithi

ReverendReene: It's not often I'm rendered speechless but you sure do it a lot.
Re: Lunge Work-around 08/12/2007 11:15 AM CDT
>>I'm curious, but how do you all go about training the Pike skill when LUNGE gives such a horrible defensive penalty?

To keep balance up without destroying your defenses, you can either skip the LUNGE step (skipping one step won't hurt the sequence too badly), or you can replace it with FEINT LUNGE. Doing a feinted lunge will give you the roundtime and balance gain of a lunge, with the damage and defensive adjustment of a feint. Then you can hold off and do an actual lunge at a more opportune moment to do full damage.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
Re: Lunge Work-around 08/12/2007 12:31 PM CDT
But I mean, what other damaging maneuvers do you do to actually train the Pike skill well? I would rather take lunge maneuver out altogether, since even if I kill the creature with LUNGE its buddy always gets a cheap shot in right as I'm in the 6 second RT.

__
~Leilond, the one who is backtraining yet again and who is obsessed with power.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leilondsootherin.png
Re: Lunge Work-around 08/12/2007 01:35 PM CDT
Don't have an issue personally using lunge with my spear/pike. Though I am wearing Relayer heavy plate with Divine Armor and Anti Stun up so these might factor into my not having any issues. My combo I use is Dodge, Jab, Sweep, Thrust, Feint, Lunge, Draw and Pummel. I'm sure there are better combos but that one works fine for me.