Small weapons and special metals questions 03/16/2015 12:41 PM CDT

With the new forging system are LE (daggers, ect.) still a waste of special metals?

Also what happened to force of impact with these? I've noticed a couple of forged steel on the table with horrible - dismal....is it not that important to damage anymore?

Thanks in advance
Re: Small weapons and special metals questions 03/16/2015 01:21 PM CDT
>With the new forging system are LE (daggers, ect.) still a waste of special metals?

It really depends.

For Thieves the use of an actual LE is supposed to give you a bonus to your backstabbing. Many still favor the ME instead because they typically have many more points of damage than what you can get with an LE even when using rare metals.

Recently, I had some haralun throwing daggers made for a friend and was really disappointed at how they appraised. If throwing daggers weren't "her thing" I would have melted them back down and used the metal for something else. However, they did appraise just a hair better than the crappy daggers she had already and I had promised her that I would do better than what she had, so she got them anyways.

So, that all said, if it's not your "thing" and you don't feel you need it for your guild; I think it's a far better use of rare metals to go with the ME template weapons instead. You'll get the most bang for your buck and you will get something that you will likely never replace.

>whisper card geva
Geva is unlikely to appreciate your gift.
Re: Small weapons and special metals questions 03/16/2015 01:30 PM CDT
Since Light edge and Medium edge both use the same skill now, there's no really compelling reason not to use the larger weapon type.

The improvement rare metals offer to weapons is as a percent (at least as I understand it), so LEs have fewer total points than MEs, which means the rare metal has less to bonus, so bonuses less.
Re: Small weapons and special metals questions 03/16/2015 01:50 PM CDT
As the others have said, outside of some specific cases or RP, there isn't a reason to put rare metals into a LE weapon. The appraisals are worse than steel ME weapons while rare metal ME weapons can be as good if not better than steel HE weapons.
Re: Small weapons and special metals questions 03/16/2015 04:31 PM CDT
Smaller weapons have a few things going for them...

Weapon stats have diminishing returns to counteract the %-based increase that using rare metals provides. Taking a weapon from good to very good slice results in a larger damage increase than going from severe to very severe. This also helps prevent run-away damage bonuses...

So from this I can say that while a smaller weapon may increase fewer points, those points are weighed more heavily than a larger weapon with more stats to begin with.

Weapon stats in 3.0 were allocated based on calculated DPS. Smaller weapons attack faster when averaged over a randomized sample of ATTACKs. Likewise they have a proportional amount of stats reduced.

Critter armor is half-or-less than what players wear. So lighter weapons can often have an advantage. At some point I'd like to add a "protection pierce" modifier to light weapons to help out against player armor. It is the flat damage reduction from protection (especially when adding in layered barriers) that makes them poorer choices for PvP.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Small weapons and special metals questions 02/10/2016 04:34 AM CST

<Eventually I'd like to add a protection pierce...>

Any developments on that front? I read some of the issues around light edged and medium regarding stilettos, rapiers and thrusting blades. Are stiletto more 'accurate'? Does that mean when I target a specific body part the smaller weapon has an advantage? It does seem with some very simple testing the medium blade hits much harder than light even at my low level (27) when backstabing, despite the small edge 'bonus'. Fatigue can be a little bit of an issue but not enough to negate the difference in damage.

Could targeting specific body parts with a smaller, more accurate, small edge make it superior - more critical hits, stuns, etc?

Just interested thanks in advance for any answers!
Re: Small weapons and special metals questions 02/10/2016 08:17 AM CST
The "accuracy" that was mentioned to you was in regards to backstab. Light edged does not suffer from the same penalty that medium edged does. Medium edge hits harder because well, it hits harder. There's more meat on the weapon to do damage with. Light edge stabbing is better when you are on the cutting edge of your skill... That little bump can be enough to get you a few hits and get confidence rolling. It's the same skill, but the difference in templates still exists, especially so in the old code like BS. (This next part is running off of old memory) When you pass that check your BS multiplier kicks in too, BS is used for "accuracy" as well as damage in later calcs.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.