Stab or slice? 03/19/2014 07:35 AM CDT
Does anyone have any particular recommendation for the attack type for small edge weapons now? I know for a long time the 'best advice' was to completely avoid stabbing weapons unless you were using backstab. Is this still the case in 3.0?

If I wanted to use a small edge, not a medium edge, and have, say, two generic forged steel weapons (let's say a leaf blade sword and a kythe), which would be better? Would this change if one of the weapons was haralun? If so, which one? What if they both were?
Re: Stab or slice? 03/19/2014 10:11 AM CDT
I don't know how it would come out in a detailed comparison but stabbers seem to be completely viable now. Prior to 3.0 i used to carry a ME slicer for regular melee attacking purposes, which i now replaced with a stiletto with similar properties (rare material) and never looked back.
Re: Stab or slice? 03/19/2014 07:27 PM CDT
Combat 3 rebalanced the verbs I think, so slice damage wasnt involved in every attack ever. Also helped blunts some.

Or I'm misremembering.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Stab or slice? 03/20/2014 06:00 PM CDT
Unless the critter you're hunting has some sort of resistances or you're a thief, there's not much difference between the two.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Stab or slice? 04/03/2014 09:18 PM CDT
>Does anyone have any particular recommendation for the attack type for small edge weapons now? I know for a long time the 'best advice' was to completely avoid stabbing weapons unless you were using backstab. Is this still the case in 3.0?

3.0 did really balance out puncture weapon's attacks (both offensive and defensively) so there's no reason to avoid them like the plague anymore but in 3.0 there is/was a bug that slice works just as well for backstab. Which actually caused the best backstabbing LE weapon to be a crafted rare (or better) metal dao, or anything else in that same weaponsmithing pattern (falcatas, koummyas, kythes, and obens).

I know this got fixed in test, but I'm not sure if it was rolled into prime/plat/tf.

Either way, in 3.1 it'll be:

For a non-thief, use whatever you want. For a thief, use any puncture weapon. The debate over, high balance vs medium balance + medium suited vs low balance + high suited, continues.

>If I wanted to use a small edge, not a medium edge, and have, say, two generic forged steel weapons (let's say a leaf blade sword and a kythe), which would be better? Would this change if one of the weapons was haralun? If so, which one? What if they both were?

Steel leaf blade vs Steel kythe: The kythe would be better for general attacking, but not backstabbing. The leaf blade would be better than the kythe for backstabbing, but not better than a pugio, stiletto, or telek, which are the highest puncture craftable LEs.

If I wanted to carry two LE's to do everything I would get a haralun (or better) pugio/stiletto/telek for puncture and backstabbing and then a haralun dao/falcata/koummyas/kythe/oben for specific ambushes and slicing. This is also kind of a nice way to have one weapon that's high balance and one weapon that's more suited to strength, if those are bases you're looking to also cover.

I personally use MEs... but I'm hopeful there is going to again come a day where the LE templates are more than just good RP and the occasional -1 rt.
Re: Stab or slice? 04/04/2014 06:47 AM CDT
That's some good advice. I personally carried a leaf blade sword for my thief, not because it was the most effective weapon, but because it was a 1-stop-shop and I'm extremely lazy, it was nice to be able to backstab, slash, etc. with just one weapon.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'