LE Learning Rates for Newbies 10/27/2008 11:15 PM CDT
So I've been using daggers and short swords off hand on my newbie, and LE rarely moves above pondering. I hit fine, just not hard. I know the higher the damage, the more exp, but it doesn't seem to really be very newbie-player friendly at this point.
Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 10/27/2008 11:37 PM CDT
Smaller weapon types are far less forgiving about flaws in balance and suitedness typical of junk items. If you want to learn better, get something like a jambiya or bring along a friend to teach you while you both work other skills.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 10/28/2008 10:52 AM CDT
As J'Lo said, get yourself a jambiya if you want to learn LE decently. Another option would be a katar, either from a shop or player forged.

Since you mentioned using it offhand, here's what I do with my LE/offhand weapon primary barbarian: hold a misericorde in your right hand to parry with (well balanced with fairly sturdy construction, 12 stones) and hold either a jambiya or katar in your left hand. The combo I prefer is lunge (or feint lunge), slice left, chop left (or feint chop left). Using the misericorde for optimum poky-ness and the jambiya/katar to cut with. This routine will keep you incredible/overwhelming, kills things pretty fast, and you'll learn LE and offhand both at a decent rate.

"Now won't you tell me if you like what you've just heard?
And if you think the point I'm driving at absurd,
Well there's no need to tell me how or tell me why,
But I need to know the reason not to try."
- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/01/2008 11:57 AM CDT
Those are both good and totally valid methods.

I do not think that they are as doable for someone entirely new to the game, or someone who doesn't want to have to rely on his other characters equipping his new one.
Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/11/2008 09:38 AM CST
>I do not think that they are as doable for someone entirely new to the game, or someone who doesn't want to have to rely on his other characters equipping his new one.

Not sure what you're using, but we can do decently well with a curved kythe (slicer LE) from Knife Clan:

Light Edged: 22 94.24% mind lock

Granted that's from swarming goblins and hogs. I'm sure I'd lock most any other weapon sooner. Also, Knife Clan is still sort of out of the way, and I doubt a new player would find it without a travel script. It'd be nice if more useful light edges were sold in the starting areas. Still, it's not too bad how it is now. Thankfully with tasks and Mags, anyone can afford a kythe with a little effort.

While we're on the topic, I'm not real big on the combos, I'm a magic user at heart. I've been using parry, feint, draw, slice, sweep, chop and it seems okay except sometimes the balance gets weird at the end. Any other ideas for slicer LE combo?
Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/11/2008 07:46 PM CST
For a slicer, I think you've got your sweep and slice backwards. Unless LE slicers are different from ME, HE, and 2HE slicers. I always use parry, feint, draw, sweep slice, (chop).
Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/12/2008 08:35 AM CST
>Unless LE slicers are different from ME, HE, and 2HE slicers.

They are. It's a different combo.

Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/12/2008 08:39 AM CST
>Unless LE slicers are different from ME, HE, and 2HE slicers.
They are. It's a different combo.

LE Jabbers are a different combo, all edged weapons have the same combo though
Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/12/2008 08:49 AM CST
>LE Jabbers are a different combo, all edged weapons have the same combo though

No, that's wrong.

Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/12/2008 08:51 AM CST
Not true. I use the same combo for ALL edged weapons and get the same incredibly balanced messaging. Jambiya, scimitar, and bastie. Parry, feint, draw, sweep, slice, chop, repeat.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/12/2008 09:00 AM CST
Feint
Draw +2
Sweep +2
Slice -1
Chop +2

Feint
Draw +2
Slice+2
Chop +2
Parry/Dodge +3

Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/12/2008 04:42 PM CST
Sorry, but I don't understand your math.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/12/2008 10:21 PM CST
Is there more to this chart? Looks nice.
Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/13/2008 08:16 AM CST
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls

Look at the Master Balance tab.

Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/13/2008 07:51 PM CST
>Not true. I use the same combo for ALL edged weapons and get the same incredibly balanced messaging. Jambiya, scimitar, and bastie. Parry, feint, draw, sweep, slice, chop, repeat.

You shouldnt use sweep with an LE. Knowing who was the coder for combat at the time I'm betting he thought you cant sweep an LE at someones legs since its "ridiculous" to think you can "step back and jab" (draw) with a pike.

Magic is not a crutch. Its just something Mages need to get through life.
Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/13/2008 09:43 PM CST
use feint sweep instead
Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/14/2008 08:25 AM CST
I guess being a Bard, I'm privy to never really losing balance (praise DEMA, Harmony), so I just use the ATTACK verb, as flavorless as that is. But I've found that as long as you have the right weapon, attack really does the job. Some of my favorite LE's, other than forged are:

jambiya (I have extra's if any new LE users need them)
serrated dao (from Muspar'i, I'm currently there and will grab some if anyone needs)
lion-claw throwing dagger (no extra's)
koummya from Leth (too pricey, and really not as effective as the jambiya)

and that's about it, as far as slicers go. A nice short sword or ironhill stiletto are perfectly fine beginning LE jabbers in my experience.
If you need me to pick you up some weapons, I'll probably be coming back from Muspar'i in the next week or so. So drop a post on here if you need a dao or jambiya.

- Terra
_______
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
>chant pyre
Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/17/2008 08:34 AM CST
>use feint sweep instead

The next maneuver after that will still reduce your balance.

Just don't sweep with an LE and you'll be fine.

The only edges you should use Sweep or Feint Sweep with are HE and 2HE. With ME you can use the standard combo and just skip the Sweep without losing balance.

Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 11/18/2008 07:47 AM CST
I am so glad my combo for LE and ME are the same.

Hide, backstab, skin/search, loot, wait, hide, backstab...

Leuc
Re: LE Learning Rates for Newbies 12/09/2008 11:48 AM CST
A bit late on this convo, I am LE primary and use feint draw sweep slice chop (sometimes parry at he beginning/end) and i do just fine.