LE Combos 07/04/2007 09:10 PM CDT
Anybody have a good combo using a knife (thrusting)? I can't seem to do much damage with it.

Thanks.
Re: LE Combos 07/04/2007 10:38 PM CDT
>Anybody have a good combo using a knife (thrusting)? I can't seem to do much damage with it.

If thief, backstab.

Else: use slicer.

Any thrusting weapon leaves quite a bit to be desired compared to a slicer weapon of the same type.

Yes, thrusters do have some benefit to use aside from backstab, and can be quite deadly. But the penalty to thrust/lunge is quite nasty. And will drain a really high percent of fatigue, for new characters (20-50 (Ok, 50 was a gnome)).
Re: LE Combos 07/04/2007 10:51 PM CDT
What would be a good slice LE? I'm a barbarian looking to craft blades in the far future.. and from what I've read ALL edged is required to forge a good edge.
Re: LE Combos 07/04/2007 10:57 PM CDT
Jambiya is a pretty good all around LE. Fair/Fair/Poor and Reasonably Balanced/Fairly Suited at 18 stones. Easy to get a hold of one too if I'm not mistaken.
Re: LE Combos 07/05/2007 12:09 AM CDT
Off a critter, if I'm not mistaken. I'll hafta snatch me one of those.
Re: LE Combos 07/05/2007 01:16 AM CDT
Any other good light edge slicers asides from the jambiya?

I'm looking to ditch the forged katar, dismal balance sucks for parry =/
Re: LE Combos 07/05/2007 07:03 AM CDT
I use a leaf-blade sword. The slice is a bit lower on a compare with a jamb, but since I haven't found anyone in plat that regularly hunts the under swamps I haven't gotten a jamb yet. In prime I prefer the jambiya to my mod slice katar, even for backtraining when dealing with critters that parry. If I'm going against squishy evasion only targets I'll take the katar.

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: LE Combos 07/05/2007 10:49 AM CDT
>>Anybody have a good combo using a knife (thrusting)? I can't seem to do much damage with it.

>If thief, backstab.

>Else: use slicer.

>Any thrusting weapon leaves quite a bit to be desired compared to a slicer weapon of the same type.

100% wrong; basically the exact opposite is true. The best LEs out there are jabbers, same with MEs in my opinion. As far as the original question regarding a LE thrusting combo, try this:

Parry: Feint, Lunge, Thrust, Jab, Thrust, Jab, repeat at Feint. Any more than 2 rotations of Thrust/Jab will unbalance you a bit - you'll stay nimbly balanced for the first 2. Parrying after that will put you at incredibly balanced, or just the follow-up feint will leave you nimbly balanced.

If you're in a multi situation and don't want the Lunge penalty, try this:

Parry: Feint, Feint Lunge, Thrust, Jab, Thrust, Jab, repeat at Feint. Only use the Lunge if you're incredibly balanced or you're fairly sure it'll land the killing blow.

If you're in a Spar or the Pit, use Feint Lunge until you can time your lunge to follow your opponent's Sweep.

If you want a quick kill or stun on a critter that charges, wait for the charge and then Lunge.

If you're advancing on a critter try Feint from pole. You'll like the results. Follow it up with a Lunge and the critter should be dead or severely stunned.

If you use stealth, try advancing on a critter while hidden and Feinting from pole. It does almost as much damage as backstab. Try specifying an area to attack also (back, chest, abdomen) and following up with a Lunge attack to that same area.

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."
Re: LE Combos 07/05/2007 07:19 PM CDT
>100% wrong

>Yes, thrusters do have some benefit to use aside from backstab, and can be quite deadly. But the penalty to thrust/lunge is quite nasty. And will drain a really high percent of fatigue, for new characters (20-50 (Ok, 50 was a gnome)).

As I said, it does come down to opinion. I dislike thrusting weapon mechanics, for several reasons which I described. You do like them, for reasons you listed.

I have never cared for the complicated setup to use a jab weapon over slice/impact 'take out weapon and attack'. If you like set up, good for you!

I also have never done any CvC, ergo jabbers are useless to me.

Please try to read the full post, and not cherry pick the first thing that makes you want to run off screaming about how I'm putting down jabbers for no reason.
Re: LE Combos 07/05/2007 09:56 PM CDT
I use an outcast katar and parry with it and do just fine, I might get hit a tad more then other people but we have to put those empaths to work somehow.
Re: LE Combos 07/06/2007 12:52 AM CDT
>Please try to read the full post, and not cherry pick the first thing that makes you want to run off screaming about how I'm putting down jabbers for no reason.

I read your whole post and responded.

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."