A bit of added functionality for LE 06/22/2007 11:22 AM CDT
I think that it'd add a lot of functionality to training LE if ranks of LE factored in when using a skinning knife.

For every x ranks of LE, Y guild should get z extra skinning ranks.

Rangers obviously should have the biggest advantage. For every 10 ranks LE, a Ranger gets 1 rank skinning bonus. Perhaps even for every 20 ranks LE, they get an extra bonus rank if arranging, so 60 ranks LE would equal 6 ranks added unarranged, and 6 + (60/20) = 9 ranks if trying to skin arranged.

Other survival primary guilds ( I think this is only Thief, right?) get 1 rank skinning bonus for every 20 ranks LE.

Survival secondary guilds get 1 rank skinning bonus for every 25 ranks LE, and Surival tertiary guilds get 1 rank skinning bonus for every 30 ranks LE.

Please?

Cross posted in Abilities, Skills, and Magic folder.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: A bit of added functionality for LE 06/22/2007 03:30 PM CDT
<<I think that it'd add a lot of functionality to training LE if ranks of LE factored in when using a skinning knife.

This seems like a really far stretch.

I would not like to see any LE ranks aiding/hurting skinning in any way. The skinning skill itself should determine how well you skin. Perhaps agility, reflex, and weapon type should (already do?) be calculated, but because you use a katar to kill stuff all day does not mean that you should be able to skin something better with your skinning knife... the two acts are completely different.

Just my thoughts.

"...you do not deserve Ability X just because another guild received it." -Armifer

"Sabbra Caddabra" your skill/title/ability is now mine.
Re: A bit of added functionality for LE 06/22/2007 03:47 PM CDT
I agree with MARKM02, if we say LE ranks should factor into skinning, then it needs to factor into carving branches, longbows, beads, anything else we do that uses a "Light Edged weapon"

Jaedren says, "Alas, no Khri Ronco (Set it and forget it!). Woe."
Re: A bit of added functionality for LE 06/22/2007 03:56 PM CDT
Really, because a better command of a knife in a fight would definitely translate to at least a LITTLE better command of that knife for other purposes (read: 1:x ratio, where x is determined by how high of a priority your guild places survival [skinning] knowledge).

Furthermore, why can't LE get a little something? Read this folder, general consensus is that it needs SOMETHING. I just came up with a suggestion, that, while it may be a bit of a stretch, is NOT a -far- stretch. Although the two acts are completely different, if done with the same instrument, there IS at least a little correlation.

MarkM, as a survival prime (Ranger, if I'm not mistakened) what do you use to skin? A halberd? 2HE? I'm not saying anything with a sharp blade should see a bonus, but when you appraise a skinning knife (a knife that is, by name, designed to skin things) it appraises as a light-edged weapon. At least a little applied knowledge should go into the calculation.

Re: A bit of added functionality for LE 06/22/2007 04:00 PM CDT
Okay then, DEARMANK, then I think LE should be factored into those abilities as well, as long as there's something, like mech, to bonus it to.

I won't keep trying to fight this uphill battle. It was an ill-received idea. I'm just frustrated that I've got to stay in a hunting area for ages if I want to be able to make money off of anything other than just coin/gem droppers, or box droppers when I'm going to have to get someone to pop them for me.

I've even tried to go slow, and I still end up outpacing my skinning. It sucks. And before anyone tries to make this about me being a WM and whining, I'm sure that there are plenty of Paladins who share my frustration.

Re: A bit of added functionality for LE 06/22/2007 04:01 PM CDT
>Really, because a better command of a knife in a fight would definitely translate to at least a LITTLE better command of that knife for other purposes

I wholly disagree that LE should factor into carving anything, skinning anything, etc. In all non-combat circumstances, you are making precise cuts, marks, notches, or what have you. Skill in light edged is knowing how to use a blade to hit your opponent, and where. When you're carving, you're not trying to inflict wounds on something that you're trained LE against (unless you fight trees, I guess). You're guaranteed a hit on the stick you're carving or the carcass you're skinning.

LE needs bonuses, but giving bonuses to non-combat things seems a lot less sensible than actually boosting LE's power through combat feats.

-Durnil
Re: A bit of added functionality for LE 06/22/2007 04:04 PM CDT
IIRC, a GM at a VegasCon elluded that knives from Knife clan gave a carving/skinning bonus. Think about it...your garden variety skinning knife from Knife clans is 500K...put on a nice hilt and it'll cost you close to a gold. Is it a huge bonus...probably not, but still some type edge (pun intended).

Regards,

Kalkomar Axebiter
Grimis Stok
Re: A bit of added functionality for LE 06/22/2007 04:05 PM CDT
>I've even tried to go slow, and I still end up outpacing my skinning. It sucks. And before anyone tries to make this about me being a WM and whining, I'm sure that there are plenty of Paladins who share my frustration.

Tert skills in general, Ax. Boxes share the same problem. You can learn skinning from skinnable creatures by scraping skins, and it teaches pretty dang well. Skinnable creatures are skinnable a lot more often than box-droppers drop boxes, so skins aren't less common than boxes by any means.

Self-sufficient survivalists we are not, by default. We can break that mold, but it requires diligence and lots of effort and time.

-Durnil
Re: A bit of added functionality for LE 06/22/2007 04:21 PM CDT
<<MarkM, as a survival prime (Ranger, if I'm not mistakened) what do you use to skin? A halberd? 2HE?

The answer depends.
If I'm skinning to get anything remotely resembling experience I use a halberd.
If I'm skinning to actually skin something, I use my skinning knife.

<<I'm not saying anything with a sharp blade should see a bonus, but when you appraise a skinning knife (a knife that is, by name, designed to skin things) it appraises as a light-edged weapon. At least a little applied knowledge should go into the calculation.

How about since a skinning knife makes skinning easier and it's an LE weapon type then you can attack easier with an LE if you have really good skinning!
What about my carving knife too? Ooo, I have great mech lore from carving bows I should be able to stab people better with all my LE weapons.
Hell, I make all those bows... how about I can shoot my bow better based on my mech lore while we're at it... using applied knowledge.
Nah, I don't think so.

I do think LE needs serious love... I know from experience. I had an LE prime character before and it's rough. I just don't think this skinning boost is the way to go. I understand your reasoning, but I still think it's reaching.

"...you do not deserve Ability X just because another guild received it." -Armifer

"Sabbra Caddabra" your skill/title/ability is now mine.
Re: A bit of added functionality for LE 06/22/2007 11:09 PM CDT
I believe I recall reading a long time ago, that whatever weapon/weapon skill your using to skin is factored into the skinning process a very tiny amount.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: A bit of added functionality for LE 06/23/2007 12:41 PM CDT
Like worr said, there is already a factor as requiested by OP. It's just not flexible per guild, its static for everyone.

at 0 ranks in any weapon, you can't skin as best as you want.

at 10 ranks in any blade, you can skin a little better.

I believe it takes 20 ranks of me to use a medium sized blade.

I believe it takes 40 ranks of HE to use one that big, then it might be 30 for he and 40 for 2he

I know it takes at least 40 ranks to use a halbard.

no blunt/edgeless weapons can be used, period.

This opinion brought to you by soylent green. Results will very from person to person.
Re: A bit of added functionality for LE 06/23/2007 04:01 PM CDT
Hmmm wow, never heard it divided up like that.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: A bit of added functionality for LE 06/23/2007 07:05 PM CDT
well it's what I experienced, of corse I haven't had those blades bellow those numbers in quite some time.

This opinion brought to you by soylent green. Results will very from person to person.