How do you learn light edge? 06/14/2007 08:09 PM CDT
When the critters keep knocking the blade out of your hand?
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/14/2007 08:38 PM CDT
By not using a Katar? ::chortles::

Or raising agility/reflex. Best bet is to get a Dirge Short sword, or in your case since your in prime, get a forged short sword. Or liberate a leaf-blade sword, or an oben, or a jambiya. I've never had any kind of light edged weapon knocked out of my hand. Ever, since I started playing back in 96. But again, I've never used a katar. I bet thats whats happening with you. Your using one of them things?

~Dalkin~
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/14/2007 09:09 PM CDT
I never drop my katar.

-Sephos
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/14/2007 09:31 PM CDT
This issue seems to be heavily related to weapon balance, which is part of what Dalkin is saying, as katars tend to be less balanced than other choices of LE blades. I'm personally a fan of the jambiya, but I don't really train LE so I can't offer too much advice on it.

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/14/2007 09:40 PM CDT

You are certain that the katar is dismally balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

Strength : 30 Reflex : 24
Agility : 23

No reason I should be getting anything knocked out my claw by anything short of a grand maul.

But I'll definitely acquire though I can't personally liberate a leaf.
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/14/2007 10:07 PM CDT
>>You are certain that the katar is dismally balanced

Thats the reason right there. The balance is horrid. Your going to need more than 23 in agility/reflex to overcome that.

Try using a leaf-blade sword, or jambiya from a shadowbeast I think it is?

You are certain that the jambiya is reasonably balanced

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced

Those won't get knocked out of your hand with the agility/reflex that you have.

~Dalkin~
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/14/2007 10:10 PM CDT
If the katar is not working for you and you can't get a jambiya, take a look at the oben from Fiona's in Shard. I got one of those for a little char, and it works nicely for training LE.

Ryeka and the brood

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/14/2007 10:11 PM CDT
I don't like the swords because it uses 'sword' Id much rather have an island 'short sword' just because the name is unique.
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/15/2007 07:54 AM CDT
dont forget the Kythe from knife clan, I used that when i first joined and it worked out well. I later upgraded to the oben then once i could use a katar I upgraded to that.

A curved kythe is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.
The curved kythe is well suited for backstabbing.

You are certain that it could do:
poor puncture damage
fair slice damage
poor impact damage

You are certain that the kythe is reasonably balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the curved kythe is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The curved kythe is made with metal.
You wonder if the curved kythe might weigh a few stones.
You are certain that the curved kythe is worth exactly 375 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/15/2007 09:21 AM CDT
Use a jambiya or a briquet of you can get your hands on one. They've gotten a little pricey, recently... upwards of 125 plat. Jambiya's your best bet, though. High end Fair slice and puncture, reasonably balanced, fairly suited, fairly sturdy. You'll never have that knocked out of your hand.

... and train your agility.

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/15/2007 03:01 PM CDT
I still use a jambiya at approx 400 ranks of LE. Expect to get one-shotted/open rolled a lot once you start training in Orc Raiders and beyond using a katar. :(

-Galren Moonskin

Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/15/2007 03:52 PM CDT
<<I still use a jambiya at approx 400 ranks of LE. Expect to get one-shotted/open rolled a lot once you start training in Orc Raiders and beyond using a katar. :(

I don't get one-shotted by raiders when I use my katar.

...then again, I also don't train defenses when I am holding it...

-Sephos
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/15/2007 05:15 PM CDT
Is a beasty weapon really better than a sword?
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/15/2007 06:02 PM CDT
Just for reference:

An ivory-hilted jambiya is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
fair puncture damage
fair slice damage
poor impact damage

You are certain that the jambiya is reasonably balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The ivory-hilted jambiya is made with metal.
You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya weighs exactly 18 stones.
You are certain that the ivory-hilted jambiya is worth exactly 400 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/15/2007 07:24 PM CDT
>Expect to get one-shotted/open rolled a lot once you start training in Orc Raiders and beyond using a katar.

I get one-shotted/open rolled often enough in an evasion/shield stance in raiders. At some point it just happens. 460 evasion, 420 shield, 70 reflex, capped LC armor and capped seer's sense to boost evasion.
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/15/2007 07:36 PM CDT
The heavy rusty iron knife thingy that ogres drop isn't half bad for those with high strength. Terrible, awful balance, but it hits like a truck for a LE, so it's great if you use shield rather than parry.

-Durnil
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/16/2007 07:24 AM CDT
I like jambiyas more than leaf-blade swords for my thief, as the slice for jambiyas is higher than puncture. On leaf blade swords, the 'attack, attack' defaults to jab rather than slice.
Re: How do you learn light edge? 06/16/2007 07:27 AM CDT
how silly of me to forget.

I finally had to liberate a shaman short sword after failing to creatively redistribute a leaf blade, even a stilletto.

<Now I have another question>-in the theif folder though.