Short halfted Hal vs reg Hal 05/30/2010 07:33 PM CDT
Is the only diffrence that a short halfted one can fit in my rucksack and my reg hal needs to be worn or is there other material diffrences?
Re: Short halfted Hal vs reg Hal 05/30/2010 11:15 PM CDT
Check the range, I believe the short-hafted are melee range vs. pole.
Re: Short halfted Hal vs reg Hal 06/01/2010 12:04 AM CDT
Short-hafted aren't as strong.

Regular halberd is h/h/f if I remember right.

Short-hafted is m/m/f.

Re: Short halfted Hal vs reg Hal 06/01/2010 12:06 AM CDT
>>ESHRA: Check the range, I believe the short-hafted are melee range vs. pole.

Correct. And the short-hafted halberds cannot be worn via weapon strap.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Short halfted Hal vs reg Hal 06/03/2010 06:16 PM CDT
<<Regular halberd is h/h/f if I remember right.

<<Short-hafted is m/m/f.

I'm not sure what exactly people are referring to as a "Regular Halberd" and a "short-hafted halberd". I'm assuming a Regular Halberd is a Crossing Halberd and the "short-hafted halberd" is the "sturdy short-hafted halberd" from Theren Keep. If so, I posted the appraisals below, along with a few other popular halberds for comparison purposes.

It's easy to see that the Crossing Halberd is over-weight and underpowered compared to the other halberds out there. If you're training halberd as a young character, you probably want to go to Theren ASAP and grab a short-hafted halberd, as it does a bit more damage but weights 35% less than the Crossing one. The short-hafted one is also constructed slightly better.

An even better choice would be to get your hands on a Guild Fest short narrow-bladed halberd, as it weighs the same as the Theren one, but does noticeably more damage. It also fits in a backpack like the Theren one.

Even though the Khuj and Lochaber Axe have very high slice and impact damage, I think it'd be more beneficial to stick with the 40 stone halberds until you can train the RT on the 62-stone halberds down to min RT, as you will be able to swing it faster and become less tired than you would be swinging the heavier ones.

That's just my two cents.

According to my notes:

Location Description Damage Bal*/*Suit Weight Const
Crossing Halberd m/m/l f/f 62 stones Average
Theren Keep Sturdy Short-hafted Halberd m/m/f f/f 40 stones Fairly Sturdy
GuildFest Short narrow-bladed halberd with a cambrinth-inlaid ironwood shaft h/h/f f/f 40 stones Fairly Sturdy
Boar Clan Wicked Halberd h/h/f f/f 72 stones Average
Critter Severely Curved Steel Scythe f/h/f f/r 50 stones Fairly Sturdy
Steelclaw Slender Khuj l/s/h p/w 62 stones Average
Ratha Lochaber Axe p/g/s p/r 62 stones Average