Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/09/2010 08:17 AM CST
Has anyone used this with any success? I just returned to Elanthia after about a year haitus and have an 11th circle War Mage. My weapon skills were a mishmash of all kinds of stuff and I decided I want to try and main halberd for a while.

I'd like to use the wicked halberd from Boar Clan but am afraid to make the journey being so low level if it's not worth it.
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/09/2010 10:01 AM CST
It's a safe trip if you want to try it out, but it's probably to heavy for a younger character to wield efficiently.

I'd recommend using the Slender Khuj in SCC instead if you want something more powerful than the Crossing halberd, shorter trip and 10 stones lighter.
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/09/2010 10:12 AM CST
I saw that the khuj is a favorite and may go with that for now. There's something about a weapon with a description saying it looks like it carries all kinds of hurt with it though.

Thanks!
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/09/2010 10:32 AM CST
I don't really think the wicked halberd is a good weapon compared to other options.

It will cost you 444 TDPs to raise your Strength from 99 to 100.
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/09/2010 11:33 AM CST
Though if you love the description, why not try it out for awhile? Sometimes its fun to have a fun weapon.
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/09/2010 12:41 PM CST
I still plan on picking it up eventually. Considering my current skills and apprehension to travel, though, I'll probably stick with someone less fun for now.
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/09/2010 07:02 PM CST
<<Though if you love the description, why not try it out for awhile? Sometimes its fun to have a fun weapon.>>

Absolutely agree. The heavy iron chain from ratha probably isn't the greatest HB, but I like the idea of swinging around a heavy iron chain ala steve reeves and bashing things to death.

Halberd wasn't in my weapon to train list, but the other day I got a severely curved steel scythe with a twisted ironwood haft off a vile plague wraith. I guess it's a trophy for me in a way since it was the first time I'd been there, and I like working against undead monsters. The description of it being like a grim reaper scythe appeals to me so I'm wearing and starting to work it bit. It's a fairly decent weapon actually, not overpowering, but at 50 stones might be a good match for you.

A severely curved steel scythe with a twisted ironwood haft is a halberd pole-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
fair puncture damage
heavy slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the scythe is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the steel scythe is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The steel scythe is made with metal.
You are certain that the steel scythe weighs exactly 50 stones.
You are certain that the steel scythe is worth exactly 202 dokoras.

I'm on that side of the world quite a bit. If you'd ever like to give one a shot I could try to get one for you.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate fraction
Halberds: 9 54.73% clear (0/34)

Fear my halberd ranks!
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/09/2010 09:09 PM CST
That'd be great. Sounds like a good 'halberd' to start with. Lighter and fairly heavy hitting.
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/09/2010 10:12 PM CST
On my way back from apes I picked a scythe up for you. I shuttle from shard to the crossing every day. Let me know when and where is a good time for you.
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/10/2010 08:04 AM CST
>>I still plan on picking it up eventually. Considering my current skills and apprehension to travel, though, I'll probably stick with someone less fun for now.

Make sure you start training heavy on the stamina side.....it will definately help. RT is already capped at 6 seconds so there is no rush with strength. Stamina on the other hand is a must for heavier weapons.

Right now with 50/50 strength stamina using an 80 stone pike I cannot just keep swinging it over and over without wearing myself out too much without some sort of stamina booster. If I was strength heavy it would be even worse. So currently I am working on getting my stamina higher than my strength.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/10/2010 08:56 AM CST
I believe strength also serves to reduce stamina drain. But overall, stamina is more important, yes.

You lick the dirt and discover that it tastes like dirt.
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/11/2010 08:32 AM CST
My halberd progression was short-hafted (40 stone), wraith scythe (50 stone), axe/khuj (62 stones). I can't wait to see what the creation rewrite gives us when it comes to halberds. Halberd is by far my favorite melee weapon.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/12/2010 02:04 PM CST
My only worry about the forging rewrite is that I love both the Khuj and the Loch Axe. I just hope the forging rewrite allows us to see something more than 'bastard sword' halbard equivelents.
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/12/2010 03:06 PM CST
>I love both the Khuj and the Loch Axe.

Agreed.

Interestingly enough, I find halberd is now my best weapon. With 576 halberd and 594 twohanded edged, halberd consistently lands good hits in adult armadillos, while even bastard swords and greatswords struggle to do damage. I'd say it's just the impact damage, but an 102 stone greatsword does great impact damage.

You lick the dirt and discover that it tastes like dirt.
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/13/2010 05:35 AM CST
Thanks to Kaxis I now have a scythe from the plague wraiths, and I went ahead and made the trip to Boar Clan (where I got stuck in Archer's Ford going both ways, yikes) to get the wicked halberd.

I love them both equally - if only I could dual wield these puppies!
Re: Wicked Halberd from Boar Clan 01/13/2010 01:14 PM CST
>I love them both equally - if only I could dual wield these puppies!

I'd like to see that.