Primary Weapon? 09/15/2009 10:12 PM CDT
Thoughts on Halberd as a primary weapon? Working on a new non combat prime guild and currenting working Halberd (over the edge halberd), Light Edge and heavy thrown.

Long term is having Halberd my primary over medium, heavy or 2he a bad idea? Not terribly experianced with them.

Thanks
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/15/2009 10:15 PM CDT
That's what I'm doing with my s'kra cleric right now.

Very happy with my khuj.

The only problem I see in the future potentially is a lack of a good parry weapon.

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/15/2009 10:25 PM CDT
Halberd is Fairly Balanced(as is my light edge). Should I be shooting for something much higher for parry?

Thanks again!
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/16/2009 04:44 AM CDT
I'm using halberd prime over in Plat, ended up giving away my OTE halberd and stuck with the khuj. I'd not recommend serious parry duty with any halberd, but the balance on that one is pretty high end fairly, can't get much (any) better than that currently.
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/16/2009 08:33 AM CDT
Halberd really starts to shine once you can toss around the Khuj with 1/2/3 roundtime. Just train shield when you're using that, and parry when you're using LE. You should throw brawling and offhand in there also, no reason not to.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/16/2009 08:41 AM CDT
Thanks for the thoughts.

Still trying to decide a ranged. Currently using HT, but LX and LT all have me interested. If it wasnt for the shield issues (i'm a shield lover) I would be all over short bow.

Mind of Many
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/16/2009 08:45 AM CDT
My cleric (shield>parry despite skill set) does LX/LT(offhand). Chucking blades while waiting for full aim = awesome.

Hanryu uses HX/Sbow for his ranged weapons mostly because I like the thought of HX for him but I needed something faster that was also snipe/dual load friendly. Playing both, I like the LX/LT combo better.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/18/2009 05:02 PM CDT
I am a Warmage.

I'm training halberd with a group of weapons as my 5th-10th weapons. I've found it is very easy to train, and does great damage. Weight is a bit of an issue, but same could be said for any non-player made weapon.

Your big hope for making halberd a better option than 2HE would be the introduction of player made halberds. (Or if they exist already, better mixes/more forgers,) I'm not saying that would definitely fix it, but it's about the only chance you have of matching the top mixes of 2HE

Altogether, I really like Halberd. Pole range is good. EXP gain is on par with melee or better. Damage of currently available units is good enough.
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/18/2009 05:16 PM CDT
IIRC, there are player made halberds. Not a great variety of them, as tips cannot be ground. I personally am not 100% on any of the apps, but there are those that are I'm sure.

I haven't tried a halberd tip in awhile, I do javelins and MEs mostly

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/18/2009 07:46 PM CDT
It's not the mix. Any good sword mix will make a good Halberd. Density will determine weight. The trick is getting enough Halbred, Pike, HT and Mech Lore to capp them. Not many have over 315 in all of those skills. Over 400 would be better.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/19/2009 05:31 PM CDT
>> Not many have over 315 in all of those skills. Over 400 would be better.

Can non-barbs achieve this? I'm training mech and halberd pretty heavily. It would be pretty cool if I could eventually forge them.
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/19/2009 05:33 PM CDT
<<Can non-barbs achieve this? I'm training mech and halberd pretty heavily. It would be pretty cool if I could eventually forge them.>>

Yes, it's possible for anyone to forge a halberd.

- Simon
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/19/2009 07:41 PM CDT
Some of the best player made halberds were made by Beliel, a warmage. I believe with halberds, as with pikes you can't grind the tips so in this particuliar case the barbarian bonus for making weapons does not apply. At least I don't think the barbarians bonus affects the quality of the weapon after pounding, only if they can grind at all and how many times.
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/19/2009 08:28 PM CDT
This is correct.. I'm in that bittersweet spot with ME that I can cap the weapon, but can't grind it to fit the barbarian mold for weapons that go on tables and get sold game-wide. FYI, non-barbs can also grind, just takes a LOT more skill.

What it comes down to: after you reach a point where you can cap a weapon type, you basically have to gain another hundred or so weapon ranks of that type to get one grind. To cap a weapon barb-style, you need to be able to grind seven (?) times for an average blade.

In other words, for a barb to cap they need about 250 forge factor (FF), for a non barb to cap they probably 2-3 times that. FYI I do fairly well selling my capped MEs... the only real difference between mine and a barb-grade ME is slightly less puncture/slice and slightly more impact. The last fact I can live with, the fact that I'd need to literally triple my ME skill to grind a 26 stone heavy puncture sabre, not so much. Hopefully this is the kind of thing that will change with the mech split.

Segmere

Re: Primary Weapon? 09/19/2009 08:31 PM CDT
Double post!

Yeah I definitely went off on my own tangent in that first post. Non-barbs can cap stave type weapons much much much earlier; yes this is because tips can't be ground (i.e. barb-grade staves don't exist as of today).

Segmere

Re: Primary Weapon? 09/19/2009 09:45 PM CDT
>The trick is getting enough Halbred, Pike, HT and Mech Lore to capp them.

I wasn't aware HT contributed to the Halberd FF.
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/19/2009 09:49 PM CDT
I thought it was just halberd, halbred, and pike.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/20/2009 05:28 AM CDT
Since some of the pikes/halbred are HT as well, you need HT for them. I am not sure it figures in ALL the halbred patterns, but I know it factors into some.
______
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/20/2009 07:37 AM CDT
I've never heard of thrown factoring into any weapon smithing. I do know that Beliel was training QS and SS because he was convinced that they factored into the Halberd and Pike FF.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/20/2009 02:54 PM CDT
>I've never heard of thrown factoring into any weapon smithing. I do know that Beliel was training QS and SS because he was convinced that they factored into the Halberd and Pike FF.

This wouldn't surprise me, personally.
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/20/2009 05:58 PM CDT
Everything I've heard says it's Pike, Halberd, Quarter Staff, and Short Staff as a "unit."

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapon Combo Balance List
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance.xls
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/20/2009 05:59 PM CDT
Wow... that's terrible.

No wonder no one forges them.

GG Khuj?

Dartenian says, "The thing that makes Dragon Dance king is that it pretty much bonuses every single that can possibly be buffed for combat. Including at least two things that don't even exist."
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/21/2009 04:52 AM CDT
From POUND HELP you get... , spear, javelin, lance, dart, throwing dagger. Now, dart and throwing dagger should have LT as part of the skill and javelin and spear (?) HT. Is HT in all pike/halbreds, not sure, but it is in atleast Javalins.
______
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/21/2009 08:46 AM CDT
I personally am hoping that the khuj pattern becomes forgable in the new system. That said, one of Halberds virtues now is that it has good combos for slice and puncture, slice, or puncture with decent weapons options for all three setups. As it stands currently though, whether good or bad, the best performing halberd appears to be the khuj, which pretty much negates my desire for crafted or merchant halberds.

Course if someone wanted to release a merchant khuj with moderate or better construction and just enough more balance for it to be pushed up to fairly with Rutilor's Edge I'd be on that in a heartbeat.
Re: Primary Weapon? 09/22/2009 12:10 AM CDT
Parry is indeed a big issue with any halberd in existence. Too easy to damage so don't plan on doing much parrying.

As for making it your primary weapon - I say go for it. I am a couple of ranks away from making halberd my primary weapon now (519 atm - need 522 to make it my primary). I get plenty of grisly one shot kills with either the Khuj or Lochaber Axe.

Forging wise, I can make a heavy/heavy/low halberd at a variety of weights. Main problem with those is they are melee range only and use a different combo than my preferred halberds (khuj or axe).

Vagle
Re: Primary Weapon? 10/16/2009 03:29 PM CDT
Anyone have an extra Khuj they would sell me up around the Haven/Rossman/Theren Area? I could actually run to crossing rather quickly as well.

Character is Codiax.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Primary Weapon? 10/20/2009 08:17 AM CDT
Ok I got a Khuj, is there a container that will hold it or does everyone just use a weapon strap?

thanks

Re: Primary Weapon? 10/20/2009 11:42 AM CDT
I use a weapon strap.
Re: Primary Weapon? 10/20/2009 12:27 PM CDT
Some of the old weapon harnesses and old elpazi sheaths work, but be prepared to pay a lot.

I suggest the straped rucksack from Boar Clan.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Primary Weapon? 10/21/2009 02:01 PM CDT
<<I suggest the straped rucksack from Boar Clan.

Love those things.

Madigan

"le rage du paladine" Korsik
Re: Primary Weapon? 10/21/2009 09:54 PM CDT
>Love those things.

Agreed. Hopefully we'll see some new versions of these things at the next fest.
Re: Primary Weapon? 10/21/2009 10:52 PM CDT

<<I suggest the straped rucksack from Boar Clan.

I actually have one of those in my vault but I don't use it.....

I am trying to remember why I don't use it, but I am pretty sure it was because it only held 12 boxes? and my current pack holds like 24 or 30 or something...can't remember exactly but more.

Re: Primary Weapon? 10/22/2009 08:32 AM CDT
My only complaint about the strapped rucksacks is that you can't access the straps at melee. If I could do that I'd be a happy camper!

~Hunter Hanryu