Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 12:56 AM CDT
Hey all,

I just picked up a slender Khuj and I am LOVING it. It is amazing.

I had a couple quick questions. Is there any benefit to using my khuj from pole-arm? Besides the fact that the enemy can't hit me back. I'm talking flanking bonuses/to hit bonsues/damage bonuses. Also, is there any penalities to hit/damage etc?

And, is there any benefit to using a "melee" halberd vs a "polearm" halberd? These terms are derived from the appraisal of the weapon.

Thanks!
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 04:28 AM CDT
I haven't played a melee centric guild in a while, but as far as I know, if your not a barbarian or paladin their are no benefits to hitting from pole, then from hitting from melee aside from the fact that they can't hit you back.

Pole-ranged weapons however tend to be heavier(a lot) and have overall better stats. They have the highest damage potential compared to other weapons of the same class.

[Space For Rent]
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 07:55 AM CDT
>>Pole-ranged weapons however tend to be heavier(a lot) and have overall better stats. They have the highest damage potential compared to other weapons of the same class.

This. A few times I toyed with the trollkin halberds. I don't like the weight and RT, and storing it can be a challenge, but some of those hits were positively yummy!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 02:38 PM CDT
Trollkin Halbs have nothing on the Khuj's damage output. The less sturdy folks may die from exhaustion but it will be gloriously bloody until then.

Everyone like's weapon straps, and fairly easy to tan if you have a particular skin you like. Or you can use a store bought strap from Raven's Point, Shard or Ratha.
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 02:54 PM CDT
I've noticed no benefit from hitting at pole range other than the potential to get in a good first and second hit before the enemy reaches you, which is a pretty obvious perk for a pole range weapon.

I also love the khuj, I loved it so much I got one Satfiki altered. However, what do you all think the khuj looks like? What sort of halberd weapon does it most resemble? I was killing myself over this trying to come up with a design for it, but luckily when I went in..Satfiki demanded full design control and that was fine by me! For the curious, here is how it turned out:

TAP: a blackened steel khuj with a warped bone handle
LOOK: The tip of the axe blade features a cap of sharpened damaska boar tusk, ready to mutilate and maim at the wielder's will. Molded from a pair of conjoined blight ogre femurs, the handle twists at sporadic intervals, its surface etched with stylized musical notes that trail down the shaft like falling stars. A single westanuryn stinger dangles from a braid of black goblin hide, occasionally forming a hairy spiral around the handle with forceful, robust movement.

- Terra
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 04:55 PM CDT
The main benefit that I am aware is that you can ambush from pole range. If your stealths are such that you can successfully ambush from melee, then this might not matter, but for the rest of us, this can help with stealth learning.
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 05:08 PM CDT
>>Trollkin Halbs have nothing on the Khuj's damage output. The less sturdy folks may die from exhaustion but it will be gloriously bloody until then.

Oh, I know. I just used them to test because they were available and free. ;)

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 05:53 PM CDT
http://parleferetparleverbe.free.fr/images/Armes/polearm-familly.jpg

I've picture the Khuj as a Naginata or a Fauchard.

Or I suppose since it has impact, it could be the far right picture. the Martreu de Lucerne, but that doesn't have as much slice.

Oh, and this pic is from Comic Con, those nerds are always right!
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 06:26 PM CDT
The only benefits to pole-ranged weapons that I've noticed, aside from being able to attack/ambush at pole, are the (generally) higher overall stats and the fun of wielding a really big weapon. Other than that, the weight is usually a hassle, some (greatswords especially since you can't use a strap) are difficult to store, and it's common to accidentally charge from pole instead of just attacking from pole, which when combined with the heavy weight of most pole weapons can be... really not good.

I hear that pole-ranged charging with pole-ranged weapons may be fixed with the combat updates, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Your mind hears XXXXX thinking, "what time to barghest come out"
Your mind hears XXXXX thinking "oh do they swarm"
Your mind hears XXXXX thinking, "is hulking big"
* XXXXX was just struck down!

You chortle softly at some secret joke.
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 06:38 PM CDT
So whats the best halberd available from stores these days? (In plat, so don't have the option of going to the tent)

Thanks,

Mind of Many
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 06:45 PM CDT
I like the khuj, although it isn't the greatest for parrying.
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 07:02 PM CDT
Pardon my ignorance but where is it sold?

Thanks,

Mind of Many
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 07:09 PM CDT
>Pardon my ignorance but where is it sold?

Struan's Weapons and Shields
Steelclaw Clan
18040 Dokoras
low/severe/heavy poorly/well average strength 62 stones

The only downside is that it isn't great to parry with.
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 07:11 PM CDT
Much Thanks
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/13/2009 08:17 PM CDT
>> The only benefits to pole-ranged weapons that I've noticed, aside from being able to attack/ambush at pole, are the (generally) higher overall stats and the fun of wielding a really big weapon. Other than that, the weight is usually a hassle, some (greatswords especially since you can't use a strap) are difficult to store, and it's common to accidentally charge from pole instead of just attacking from pole, which when combined with the heavy weight of most pole weapons can be... really not good.

Uh this. I couldn't figure out how i was randomly getting exhausted and falling over. I would watch combat and never go below winded. Then I noticed charging from pole once I reach pole range.

But it didn't happen all the time. So instead i just tossed a retreat in once i hit pole range. Never have that problem again.

Words are things, and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think.

- Lord Byron
Re: Pole range- Any benefit? 05/14/2009 10:50 AM CDT
>>Martreu de Lucerne

There are Lucerne hammers in the Haven blunt shop.

~Thilan