Halberds vs Raiders 01/28/2009 08:20 PM CST
Recently I decided to move back into hunting Raiders full-time. Over the past week I have had several deaths happen at really odd points.

For example, one death occurred just as I was starting to hunt. I had literally just gotten into a room, had a raider spawn, engaged it and then promptly had myself cut in half. Every death I've had happened while wielding my halberd of choice, the slender Khuj. When I switch to my other weapons - the raiders never land a single blow. Looking at my base stats and skills, I can't understand what is wrong with my hunting style - and I am curious to know if there is some bug in the system that allows mobs that are of a certain skill level and above to completely bypass my defenses.

Skills & Info:

Defensive skills:

Parry: 493
Evasion: 483
Multi: 396
Light Chain: 434 (forged light hauberk & chain balaclava)
Heavy Chain: 300 (forged gloves)

Offensive skills:

Halberds: 414
Medium Blunt: 414
Two-Handed Edge: 414
Heavy Edge: 437
Medium Edge: 470

Stats:

Reflex: 53
Strength: 48
Agility: 40

Stance:

Evasion: 88%
Parry: 100%

Burden: None

I for one don't use shield - and shield won't do any good while wielding the Khuj - so that won't fix this problem.

So - aside from completely waiting until I outclass raiders - what suggestions do you folks have? Also - from a GM perspective - any hints on what I can do to avoid these mystical hits while hunting with my Khuj? I'd understand if these hits landed while I'm using other weapons - but to re-iterate my original point - these hits only happen while I'm using my Khuj.

Thanks,

Vagle
Re: Halberds vs Raiders 01/28/2009 08:27 PM CST
mind listing the appraisal on your weapon?

might be a weapon balance issue
Re: Halberds vs Raiders 01/28/2009 08:46 PM CST
Likely weapon balance:

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Weapon:Slender_khuj

Balance: Poorly

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Halberds vs Raiders 01/29/2009 09:41 AM CST
"Recently I decided to move back into hunting Raiders full-time."

ah. I got a little excited there for a moment.

-Serc

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"
Re: Halberds vs Raiders 01/29/2009 10:37 AM CST
>I for one don't use shield - and shield won't do any good while wielding the Khuj - so that won't fix this problem.

You can still use a small shield (or larger depending on guild) while using a two-handed weapon. I use the exact same khuj myself, and I definitely don't rely on parry while using it because of its balance.

My guess would be that you're starting to see open rolls. Try highlighting this text so you'll know when it happens in the future:

as its opponent hesitates unexpectedly
but unintentionally
happening to do the right thing
leaning in an unexpected good direction
light happens to reflect into its opponent's eyes
managing somehow to improve its position
moving in an unexpected way
opponent is distracted
opponent slips slightly
opponent stumbles
stumbling into a better position
switching momentum at the last minute
tripping into a better position
while unintentionally
with bizarre luck

If your shield skill isn't on par with your parry skill, you might be out of luck. Best advice then is to get to be friendly with the clerics.
Re: Halberds vs Raiders 01/31/2009 06:21 AM CST
I changed my stance from 88 evasion / 100 parry to 100 evasion / 88 parry. Haven't died yet since making that change.

Vagle