Halberd training so far... 06/13/2008 07:53 PM CDT
So far, I've tried the slender khuj, the lochamber axe, the curved scythe, and the forged (capped?) halberd.

I can honestly say at my level of skill (18 str, stam, agil, 19 disc, nearly 100 ranks in halberd) the Khuj and Axe leave the rest in the dust by far.

Why am I so angry? Have I told you about my ex-wives?
Re: Halberd training so far... 06/13/2008 08:25 PM CDT
>I can honestly say at my level of skill (18 str, stam, agil, 19 disc, nearly 100 ranks in halberd) the Khuj and Axe leave the rest in the dust by far.

Unless of course you can get your hands on one of those 37 stone Rayje forged ones. They rock until you got enough strenght to wield a 60 stone one. At that point the Awa (Rakash halberd) or the swapable Partisan rock more.
Re: Halberd training so far... 06/13/2008 10:56 PM CDT
Hmm, I might be interested in trying that, if it's better than the axe and khuj. The sad thing is that as great as both of these halberd are, my 36 stone bastard sword is simply a better weapon on every regard.

But then again, my whole stat training has been to keep 'em all equal (except charisma) so a weapon that is well balanced, utilized strength, and has a few nice edges is really going to do the best for my fighting style (I never get past winded until I try to run out of blood wolves wearing 7 full bundles)

Re: Halberd training so far... 06/14/2008 01:25 AM CDT
Love my Khuj...

Maybe there are better halbards but I still find it amazing what I can do with my khuj with the ranks I have.

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: Halberd training so far... 06/14/2008 07:01 AM CDT
I've yet to find a forged halberd that outperfoms the khuj/axe at similar weights. The lack of impact damage on forged halberds will always leave them lacking in my opinion.

I've posted this before, but my recommended progression is short-hafted, wraith scythe, khuj/axe.

The khuj is a touch better than the axe, technically, but I have no idea what a khuj is, and lochaber axe just sounds damn cool, which has to count for something.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, Ranger
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Halberd training so far... 06/14/2008 02:16 PM CDT
Aye, it was your post that inspired me to try the axe and khuj. Yes, it's the lack of impact damage that makes the forged halberds nothing more than katars with a long roundtime. I experimented with one for awhile, and found it slowed the time it takes for me to kill things by average by nearly two times. Even though neither the axe or khuj have good piece, a standard dodge, jab setup makes slice and bash just about remove anything at my level.

I really like the axe quite a bit, mostly due to the impact damage. It is, as you said, very much like a good two handed blunt with an edge on it.

Now if a forged halberd could have decent balance and suitability as well as impact, it might be able to compete.

Re: Halberd training so far... 06/14/2008 06:22 PM CDT
>Now if a forged halberd could have decent balance and suitability as well as impact, it might be able to compete.

The current forging template simply wont allow anything that good.

Forged halberds (37 stone) are good for beginners or for those who want a balanced pole-ranged weapon, but once you get the strength there are better store/festival weapons. Same goes for pikes, except that there are no decent store bought ones, only festival.

If I were to spite my face, in my opinion, cutting off my nose would be a reasonably good start.
Re: Halberd training so far... 06/15/2008 10:19 AM CDT
<<I've posted this before, but my recommended progression is short-hafted, wraith scythe, khuj/axe.

I'd include the halbred from Boar Clan in the middle and the partisan at the end of that list.

short-hafted, wraith scythe/halbred from Boar Clan, khuj/axe/partisan

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Halberd training so far... 06/15/2008 05:04 PM CDT
Someone mentioned the ava (Rakash halberd). Are they really that good?

--Player of many, master of none--
Re: Halberd training so far... 06/15/2008 11:04 PM CDT

>Someone mentioned the ava (Rakash halberd). Are they really that good?

Those are pretty much a clone of the tzece from Leth.

>I'd include the halbred from Boar Clan in the middle and the partisan at the end of that list.

A heavier clone and a swappable clone of the Tzece.

If I were to spite my face, in my opinion, cutting off my nose would be a reasonably good start.
Re: Halberd training so far... 06/17/2008 03:37 AM CDT
What's the best attack combo for a khuj?
Re: Halberd training so far... 06/17/2008 05:33 AM CDT
I use parry/thrust/sweep/chop/pummel/slice. Works great for me so far, though I only have modest skill with halberds.

--Player of many, master of none--
Re: Halberd training so far... 06/17/2008 09:32 PM CDT
I use dodge, feint, draw, slice, thrust (can skip), sweep, chop, and go back to dodge or draw (both are balance positive)

Re: Halberd training so far... 06/18/2008 12:28 PM CDT
>What's the best attack combo for a khuj?

I use Dodge, Feint, Draw, Trhust, Sweep, Chop, Jab repeat.
Re: Halberd training so far... 09/22/2008 10:55 PM CDT
I've tried all of the halberds available and really find using anything but a Lochaber Axe or Khuj to be a waste of time. I also favor the Axe over the Khuj but the Axe is such a pain to keep repaired... not to mention the cost of repairing an Axe. You can buy a brand new Khuj for the cost of repairing an Axe.

30 more lessons until I break 400 in Halberds - then I may try my hand at forging em too.

Vagle
Re: Halberd training so far... 09/23/2008 12:06 AM CDT
I was using a forged halberd for awhile because I couldn't handle the weight of the khuj. I recently switched and I love it. Killing caracals in one shot with 250 halberd.