A severely curved steel scythe... 02/29/2008 10:57 AM CST
Well, being a typical moon mage I get to be poor at physical offense, which allows me to play around with weapons. So now I'm looking to get into Halberds.

I'd really like to get my hands on a severely curved steel scythe - from plague wraiths I think - though to be honest I hate that entire area, badly, and I don't want to travel there only to find out I can't touch the creatures.

So I'm asking whether anyone might be able to grab me one of those fine weapons. I'd be glad to pay you a fee for your trouble or make... stuff... that moon makes make.
Re: A severely curved steel scythe... 02/29/2008 11:59 AM CST
Everyone uses these, they're so last year now. WHAT you need is a partisan or something equally unique and amazing.

Anyways if you want one I guess I could get one for a small fee.

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~
Re: A severely curved steel scythe... 03/01/2008 01:54 AM CST
All the better, this way I'll feel like a part of a community by jumping on the bandwagon.

So it'd be great if you could pick one up for me sometime.
Re: A severely curved steel scythe... 03/01/2008 07:49 AM CST
I took Ciressa who trades in Riverhaven a bunch last night. I forget how hard undead is to kill without a blessed weapon.

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~
Re: A severely curved steel scythe... 03/01/2008 10:18 AM CST
>I'd really like to get my hands on a severely curved steel scythe - from plague wraiths I think - though to be honest I hate that entire area, badly, and I don't want to travel there only to find out I can't touch the creatures.

Start off with a short hafted halberd from Theren and work your way up.

I've got these rubber models in my office with all the reproductive organs of both sexes that I keep locked up in separate cabinets to avoid a scandal.
Re: A severely curved steel scythe... 03/01/2008 10:26 AM CST
Short-hafteds are terrible in comparison. If you can find a scythe, use it. Some traders sell em cheap.
Re: A severely curved steel scythe... 03/01/2008 03:27 PM CST
"Short-hafteds are terrible in comparison. If you can find a scythe, use it. Some traders sell em cheap. "

I disagree. In my opinion, unless you have the strength for a Khuj the short halberd is one of the top picks.

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: A severely curved steel scythe... 03/02/2008 01:28 AM CST
Here are a couple comparisons between the halberd and scythe(as far as I know the blued-steel halberd is the exact same as the store bought version)

compare scyth to halb
You are certain that the steel scythe is a little weaker than the blued-steel halberd.
You are certain that the steel scythe is about as balanced as the blued-steel halberd.
You are certain that the steel scythe is more suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the blued-steel halberd.
You are certain that the steel scythe does less puncture damage than the blued-steel halberd.
You are certain that the steel scythe does a little more slice damage than the blued-steel halberd.
You are certain that the steel scythe does about as much impact damage as the blued-steel halberd.
You are confident that the steel scythe weighs somewhat more than the blued-steel halberd.
[Roundtime: 8 seconds]
>
Ossett just arrived.
>
Ossett just went north.
>compare halberd with scythe
You are certain that the blued-steel halberd is a little stronger than the steel scythe.
You are certain that the blued-steel halberd is about as balanced as the steel scythe.
You are certain that the blued-steel halberd is less suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the steel scythe.
You are certain that the blued-steel halberd does more puncture damage than the steel scythe.
You are certain that the blued-steel halberd does a little less slice damage than the steel scythe.
You are certain that the blued-steel halberd does about as much impact damage as the steel scythe.
You are certain that the blued-steel halberd weighs a little less than the steel scythe.
[Roundtime: 8 seconds]
>

The halberd is 10 stones lighter so easier to swing and the damage is rather close

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: A severely curved steel scythe... 03/02/2008 08:50 AM CST
With the new RT/fatigue changes, i don't believe there's ever a reason to use anything except the khuj personally. Starting at 0 ranks, the khuj is a powerhouse. Comparing mod/mod/low/fairly/fairly (i think that's a short-hafted), to low/severe/heavy/poorly/well (might be dismal) is like comparing apples and bananas, not to mention it takes almost as much in combined stats to lower RT on a 40 stone fairly/fairly weapon as a 62 stone well-suiter. Since most people wear arm-worn shields these days, the parry hit shouldn't bother you.

My advice - get a khuj asap. If you're going to use a scythe for RP reasons, rock on since RP > all.
Re: A severely curved steel scythe... 03/02/2008 09:26 AM CST
>With the new RT/fatigue changes, i don't believe there's ever a reason to use anything except the khuj personally. Starting at 0 ranks, the khuj is a powerhouse. Comparing mod/mod/low/fairly/fairly (i think that's a short-hafted), to low/severe/heavy/poorly/well (might be dismal) is like comparing apples and bananas, not to mention it takes almost as much in combined stats to lower RT on a 40 stone fairly/fairly weapon as a 62 stone well-suiter. Since most people wear arm-worn shields these days, the parry hit shouldn't bother you.

One word: Versatility.

Short hafted halberd is lighter, has better balance, is more durable, is less fatiguing, and has puncture. Its easy to change combos to thrust and lunge.

I've got these rubber models in my office with all the reproductive organs of both sexes that I keep locked up in separate cabinets to avoid a scandal.