Is armor necessary? 08/14/2020 12:26 PM CDT
Good Morning,

Returning player here. Been gone 10 years or so and been back about 2 months ish. Having fun so far! Good to see old friends/faces and to meet new ones.

I seem fixated on armor now for some reason and have been experimenting with different clown suits. Eventually settling on the favored ring helm, plate mask, brig gloves and light body.

I’m a warmie so tert armor.

That being said it doesn’t seem like any set up I use allows me to hunt wound free anymore like in the old days. I’m attributing that to penalties on top of penalties on top of more penalties.

You probably get where I’m going here...

If all armor just penalizes us then would it be better to simply not wear armor? The reasoning here is to remove ALL penalties to evasion. Keep the parry stick and shield, but remove all other hindrances.

I haven’t tried this yet (will later tonight), but I’m curious if anyone has tried this and if so what were the results?

Clearly I’d lose out on TDPs, but other than that if I’m able to dodge without any penalties then...

Thanks for reading and for any feedback.

Gyren Shandrel
Re: Is armor necessary? 08/14/2020 01:39 PM CDT
Armor and shields are absolutely necessary. Are you hunting with no encumbrance? Are you hunting with buffs up? Is your armor in good repair? Are you using a low hindrance small shield?

Light armor is not great compared to heavier armor classes. You will see better results wearing a clown suit based around a lumium or HCS ring torso armor.

Forgetting the clown suit and going with a 2 armor setup with ring (chain torso) and swapping out your accessories (leg/hand armor) for the other 2 armors would be even better because you'd be reducing your armor mixing penalty and gaining tdps for more reflexes and discipline to stat support your defenses. This means slightly less convenience because you're only wearing 2 armor types at a time and you'll have to switch them but the difference in overall hindrance is noticeable.

Also check out https://elanthipedia.play.net/Armor_and_shield_player_guide if you haven't already. Numbers people in Discord could also go into further detail.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Is armor necessary? 08/14/2020 02:11 PM CDT
In the current combat system, you will take hits, and you will occasionally be wounded. If you are on the low end of defensive skill for the thing you are fighting, it will happen more often. If you are on the high end, it will still happen.
Re: Is armor necessary? 08/14/2020 05:10 PM CDT

Thank you guys for the response. I’m starting to think maybe my problem is just not enough skill with the armor’s. I’ll just keep plugging away and see if the additional ranks make a difference.
Re: Is armor necessary? 08/15/2020 06:29 AM CDT

Welcome back!

By the way, you might want to heavily train shield too: That is much more important as a defense than it was once upon a time.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Is armor necessary? 08/15/2020 11:27 AM CDT

What Ryeka said. I second this. I have all my stances set so that I am always learning a bit of shield. Don't ever lock it, but I keep learning it all the time I'm in melee combat. I'm a ranger so I lock my stealth first then go to melee.

Bluefalcon
Re: Is armor necessary? 08/15/2020 02:40 PM CDT
>I’m starting to think maybe my problem is just not enough skill with the armor’s.

I also returned around 4 months ago +/- after about a 17 year absence, so I can relate. Anyways, could definitely be low skill with the armor. I naturally started my trader on light armor for the stealth. Upon reaching mid 30s in circle I decided to switch to chain. I was fighting Snow Beast and the low armor skill didn't matter because they couldn't hit me hardly anyways with my other defenses. Then I made a mistake interrupting a skinning script I think which left me with my weapon in my sheath while my stance happen to be set to 100% Parry. Now they COULD hit me. OOPS. And since I had low armor skill, those hits HURT. I couldn't realize why I was getting hurt, couldn't retreat from the stuns, and was dead in 2 minutes.

ALSO, I had a different character get the crap beat out of him by something that was not a problem previously and after I got away realized my encumbrance was "Overburdened". Since then have realized encumbrance is a huge factor not only in evasion but in retreating. (Watch the size of that growing bundle) Had my Trader using Regalia to train the heavier armors as well, couldn't retreat, dropped the armor and retreated.
Re: Is armor necessary? 08/17/2020 02:23 PM CDT
If you don't wear any armor, you will die most likely. Here is some basic food for thought from the GMs:

Protection: An armor's protection reduces incoming damage by a flat amount, making it ideal for dealing with light hits. While it may not reduce damage by as much as absorption (the other stat), protection tends to be the stat that reduces damage to 0.
Protection is heavily modified by a skill contest of your armor factor versus the attacker's offensive factor. (Armor factor is armor skill and a few other modifiers. Offensive factor is weapon skill and some other modifiers.) With low armor skill (compared to the attacker), your armor loses all of its protection.

Absorption: An armor's absorption reduces damage by a percentage, making it ideal for mitigating large hits. However, absorption generally won't reduce damage to 0. (That's what protection does.) In player-made armor, absorption generally correlates with the density of the material used.
Unlike protection, absorption is not severely penalized by lack of armor skill. It is only modified slightly by a skill contest of your armor factor versus the attacker's offensive factor.

Damage armor skill check only applies to protection. Absorption is static.
The incoming damage has its value reduced by the armor's protection modified by skill. The remainder is then reduced by a % based on absorption.
Armor low-caps at 10% and high caps at 120%. So having low armor skill is disastrously bad for protection.
Protection is only half the picture. For some armors absorption is the more important stat. This was done to prevent low-skill from completely sabotaging a player, and to add importance to the armor skill.
Armor as a skillset gets a negative wrap. But it really does matter. It is just difficult to present that as a meaningful way to folks.
Hindrance affects defenses. Lower defenses could mean a little more incoming damage up to the cap.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0