Combat Stances 05/18/2019 09:26 PM CDT

I would like to revisit the commandments of defences in DR (please be prepared for satire.)

1) Thou shalt love thy shield because any guild that is armor tertiary shalt be considered inferior by the combat system.
2) Evasion shalt be an inferior defence as any guild that liveth combat will not be armuor tertiary therefore hating evasion will not harm the combat guilds.
3) Though shalt hate parry because only inferior guilds relieth on parry over evasion and shield
4) Parry shalt be the only defence that is entirely useless in one circumstance (specifically against ranged combat), so that every guild can eschew training parry
5) When a guild chooseth shield or evasion they shalt be able to convert any ineffective ranks to parry so that 'combat guilds' are not inconvenienced
6) When a character chooseth parry instead of evasion or shield they shalt not be able to convert their stance to shield or evasion
70 When a character chooseth to use parry in favour of any other defense they shalt be f**keth
Re: Combat Stances 05/18/2019 10:52 PM CDT
Agreed that parry should work versus ranged. Want to give something to dual wielding or LE weapons? Make them the best at it among parry weapons. Maybe parry sticks don’t work though. Give rangers and barbs a quirk for it to make it a bit better (like allowing rangers to parry ranged with a stick bow so we can finally drop “all rangers need shields” meta). Maybe make a difference between ranged defense from shield and parry versus mundane weapons and TM. Just ideas that popped into my head.

Unfortunately, wasn’t there recently work put in so that your shield works against ranged even if you’re all stanced parry? That suggests to me a more fulsome revisit is unlikely.

Hope not ever to see Heaven. I have come to lead you to the
other shore; into eternal darkness; into fire and into ice. —Inferno