Weapon Changes on EXP? 02/15/2018 05:26 PM CST
Just wondering if there have been any changes in the background to the way weapon experience works.

I've had a nice loop working well for me for a few months now, which usually means I can lock up my 6 weapons with everything else I do in around 4 hours of hunting. These last couple of weeks, it's just not happening. Everything else is moving just as it used to, but weapons are stalling, and in that 4 hour window, I'm seeing them reaching 15/34 at best.

I thought it could have been reaching the cap on critters, but its not just the one character I'm seeing this on, I see the same on another one which hunts at a far lower level, the same looping training isn't having the same effect as it was before.

For reference, I'm landing good hits, all weapons are repaired, critters are swarming well, it just seemed to happen on both around the same time.

Ball park 950 ranks in lava drakes, and ball park 450 ranks in black goblins (was celps but switched due to the poor weapon training)
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 02/16/2018 04:51 PM CST

As additional reference, I've spoken to a few people who are seeing something similar. The one thing in common seems to be that anyone seeing it is hunting critters which don't hold weapons.

On my character that was struggling to move weapon learning in celps, I stepped down to stompers and weapons are flying again
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 02/19/2018 11:29 AM CST
I'm seeing the same issue in Black Marble Gargoyles. Was training great, and suddenly became mediocre even though I'm nowhere near their cap (highest weapon 413; BMG cap around 540).
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 02/20/2018 12:46 AM CST

I've noticed this as well in Wyverns. I am on the very low side of their range however weapons are hardly moving these past few days, and now it's suddenly a struggle to get them moving. Can someone check in on what could be causing this, or explain what was changed?
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 02/26/2018 08:09 PM CST

Moving my post over,

Throwing my hat in here too - my routine went from keeping 9 weapons locked in wyverns,to not being able to move past 3-5 in the same period of time, and it started a couple of weeks ago.

So, a few more people on the discord have mentioned this too. If something changed behind the scenes, can we please get a heads up as to what's going on? Lowest backtrain weapon is 550, highest backtrain is 750, 900 masteries, and stormbulls, malchata, sky giants, and juvie wyverns aren't training, where ~3 wks ago, I was able to lock all backtrain weapons in maybe two runs of 20m a piece, in juvie wyverns. Enough people are talking about this issue that I'm convinced it isn't just some random script weirdness.
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/05/2018 04:57 PM CST

BUMP! Reference this and the slow moving weapons thread and no title thread.

This has been going on for 20+ days now - Any chance we can get some GM input into what's going off in the background please? Is this intentional, or has something broken in another system that's had an impact on the way weapons train?
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/06/2018 09:21 AM CST
I'll add in my voice and some numbers as well. I train in Juvi Wyverns, Young Wyverns and Zombie Maulers, all of these results are taking the skill from 0/34 (Clear) to 33/34 using feint,gouge, lob or full aim unless otherwise noted. Also a hunt is thrown in every 80-90 seconds.

Mastery Skills - Melee (851), Missle (826)

Juvi Wyverns:
Small Edge (766) Time - 7:59, Killed 2.

Young Wyverns:
Small Blunt (412) Time - 16:33 , Killed 15. *Trained using Hide/Blindside instead of feint
Polearm (605) Time - 7:30, Killed 6.
Bow (593) Time - 9:59, Killed 5.
Light Thrown (712) Time - 7:36, Killed 8.
Heavy Thrown (521) Time - 7:08, Killed 9.
Brawling (528) Time - 5:22, Killed 3.

The issue I see is that Small Blunt time in Young Wyverns. Maybe the recent Stealth/Backstab changes are to blame?
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/06/2018 06:07 PM CST
Howdy folks. To the best of my knowledge we've not touched the experience system (as it relates to combat) in quite a few years. The most recent combat changes were to support Thief abilities, and before that it was to support the new Flare mechanics. Neither of which was intended or should have affected experience.

Would it be possible to APPRAISE CAREFUL the enemies and post how tough the system believes they are for you to be hunting? That'd give me something to go on and might reveal that it is the Wyverns that changed and not combat per say. In my own testing with Wyverns I've noticed a broad range of circles they can spawn between.

In the meantime I'll put some test cases through and see if I can eyeball any weirdness.

Thanks!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/06/2018 10:05 PM CST
I looked at Black Marble Gargoyles and Wyverns. Didn't see anything obviously wrong with the math being generated.

Gargs have low 300ish defenses. I was getting 100% experience with low 300ish ranks. I was getting 40% experience at low 500ish ranks, or about 3 learning levels per kill. This matched what was expected based on the comments and theorycrafting of the mechanics.

Wyverns worked similarly. The one I picked had mid-700s in skill. I received 100% experience at mid-700s skill. At low 1000ish ranks I was getting about 40% per kill. So I'm just not seeing a problem with this test setup.

If folks still believe there is a problem, I'd be inclined to look elsewhere such as if ranks are pulsing down more often or for more bits.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/07/2018 09:41 AM CST

>>Wyverns worked similarly. The one I picked had mid-700s in skill. I received 100% experience at mid-700s skill. At low 1000ish ranks I was getting about 40% per kill. So I'm just not seeing a problem with this test setup.

I think you tested it backwards. The problem people are experiencing is that they're getting 100% experience at mid-700s skill, but 50% experience with 400-500 rank skills in wyverns
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/07/2018 09:54 AM CST
I don't know if this is intended or not, but this -feels- very slow to me. I can't yet move up to juvie wyverns consistently because their unblockable special attack sets me on fire every few minutes. Also when training heavy thrown in juvies I spend more time missing than hitting even when the critter is webbed and slept with dead fall. If I had to complain about something it's not that I'm getting 3 mindstates/kill it's that it takes about 2 minute to kill something.

Data below:

SkilsAverageEXP StartTime (min)KillsAverageEXP EndMindstates/minuteMindstates/Kill
Ranged026.71671612.751.913.1875
Melee0.33333318.2510111.753.2

You are certain that the young wyvern is healthy.
You are certain that the young wyvern is slightly fatigued.
You are certain that it is somewhat weaker than you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less agile than you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less disciplined than you are.
You are certain that it is somewhat less quick to react than you are.
You are certain that it is about as conditioned as you are.

Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a lumium round sipar and a loimic scythe enameled with reaper spiders across the upper curve of the blade, you are certain that the young wyvern is definitely less skilled.
--POLEARMS--
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a loimic scythe enameled with reaper spiders across the upper curve of the blade, you are certain that the young wyvern is something that you'd kill quickly.
If you attacked with a loimic scythe enameled with reaper spiders across the upper curve of the blade, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a lumium round sipar and a fused-shut steel lunchbox painted with screaming faces, you are certain that the young wyvern is definitely less skilled.
--LIGHT THROWN--
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a fused-shut steel lunchbox painted with screaming faces, you are certain that the young wyvern is a somewhat skilled opponent.
If you threw the lunchbox at the enemy you are certain that it would train acceptably.
--LARGE EDGE AND HEAVY THROWN--
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a lumium round sipar and a hurling axe, you are certain that the young wyvern is definitely less skilled.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a hurling axe, you are certain that the young wyvern is a very easy opponent.
If you attacked with a hurling axe, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you threw the axe at the enemy you are certain that it would train rather well.
--BOWS--
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a lumium round sipar and a copperwood battle bow, you are certain that the young wyvern is definitely less skilled.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a copperwood battle bow, you are certain that the young wyvern is a harmless opponent.
If you attacked with a copperwood battle bow, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
--CROSSBOWS--
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a lumium round sipar and a light lelori forester's crossbow, you are certain that the young wyvern is definitely less skilled.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a light lelori forester's crossbow, you are certain that the young wyvern is something that you'd kill quickly.
If you attacked with a light lelori forester's crossbow, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.

If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train somewhat poorly.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train acceptably.
If you targeted and cast a spell at the enemy, you are certain that it would train rather well.
If you attempted to debilitate the enemy, you are certain that it would train acceptably.

Shield Usage857 61% (34/34) +0.18
Light Armor848 52% (34/34) +0.18
Chain Armor769 83% (34/34) +0.20
Brigandine757 53% (34/34) +0.21
Plate Armor767 37% (30/34) +0.20
Defending865 21% (34/34) +0.17
Parry Ability819 19% (32/34) +0.19
Large Edged758 62% (8/34) +0.13
Bow735 68% (13/34) +0.14
Crossbow735 66% (13/34) +0.16
Polearms756 00% (8/34) +0.14
Light Thrown562 62% (12/34) +0.23
Heavy Thrown479 76% (11/34) +0.25
Brawling739 39% (5/34) +0.13
Offhand Weapon623 37% (32/34) +0.22
Melee Mastery777 31% (15/34) +0.17
Missile Mastery774 60% (34/34) +0.20
Life Magic959 25% (29/34) +0.11
Attunement940 83% (22/34) +0.13
Arcana797 98% (30/34) +0.17
Targeted Magic607 79% (6/34) +0.18
Augmentation875 85% (28/34) +0.11
Debilitation779 66% (33/34) +0.14
Utility729 62% (23/34) +0.13
Warding635 10% (14/34) +0.08
Sorcery376 98% (5/34) +0.31
Evasion928 68% (1/34) +0.06
Perception1178 10% (34/34) +0.23
Stealth997 82% (28/34) +0.17
Skinning1064 67% (34/34) +0.17
Scouting982 03% (9/34) +0.09
Scholarship587 80% (3/34) +0.04
Appraisal844 11% (20/34) +0.12
Tactics721 09% (20/34) +0.13

~Hunter Hanryu
>You know how map makers use to be "Here be dragons"? Old DR code is like that. Except instead of dragons there are Lovecraftian horrors made out of well-intentioned psuedo-code.~Raesh
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/07/2018 11:07 AM CST
Before this started I was backtraining weapons in young wyverns, and set end conditions of a 15m timer and/or backtraining weapons (le, 2he, sb, lb, 2hb, bows, crossbow, lt, offhand) reaching 32/34 field xp. After 2-3 loops through, I would begin leaving my hunts early as all backtrained weapons were locked, meaning my backtrain weapon loop was only typically 5-8m depending. About a month or so ago, it stopped training to the point that after 15m of my weapon routine, I'd fine myself hovering around 3-5 or so field xp in those skills. I've tried 4 different creatures all within weapon+mastery ranges, and gotten similar results.

This pattern weapons not getting beyond 3-5 or so field xp in the backtraining weapon routine after 15m is true of Storm Bulls, Young Wyverns, Juvenile Wyverns, and Malchata. Here are the appraisals on those critters with one of my backtrain weapons, noting that all but Bows in that list above are within about 5 ranks of one another. Note the appraisals do wiggle, and I see probably as much as +/- 4 or 5 levels on the critter defensive abilities, which I think is to be expected. This is an approximate average.

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a steel bar mace, you are certain that the juvenile wyvern is a somewhat skilled opponent.
If you attacked with a steel bar mace, you are certain that the enemy would train very well, provided you can land a blow.
(My combat parser does not indicate that I miss much with these guys.)

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a steel bar mace, you are certain that the young wyvern is an easy opponent.
If you attacked with a steel bar mace, you are certain that the enemy would train rather well.

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a steel bar mace, you are certain that the storm bull is a harmless opponent.
If you attacked with a steel bar mace, you are certain that the enemy would train rather well.

Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a steel bar mace, you are certain that the s'sugi malchata is a simple opponent.
If you attacked with a steel bar mace, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.

I'm not sure what's going on, but something definitely appears to have changed, as I (and others!) saw a very abrupt reduction in weapons learning.
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/07/2018 11:10 AM CST
Obviously not Kodius, but did you see any change in the damage you were dealing while backtraining? Any change in hitting at all?

I logged my PC on and was able to do my usual routine without any obvious change, which included some backtraining, though it didn’t include Wyverns in particular.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/07/2018 11:35 AM CST

>did you see any change in the damage you were dealing while backtraining? Any change in hitting at all?

None, though I don't have extensive testing from before/after, as much as not recalling any significant changes in what my parser was reporting.

I just did another loop with young wyverns ('train rather well') and after about 20m my field xp was hovering around 8-10, which is the highest I've seen weapons get to in a while.
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/07/2018 02:23 PM CST

LAVA DRAKE EXAMPLE:

You are certain that the lava drake is healthy.
You are certain that the lava drake is slightly fatigued.
You are certain that it is about as strong as you are.
You are certain that it is about as agile as you are.
You are certain that it is rather less disciplined than you are.
You are certain that it is not quite as quick to react as you are.
You are certain that it is about as conditioned as you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a small diamond-hide shield sealed with protective wax and a kertig sterak axe with a darkly glittering haft, you are certain that the lava drake is a solid opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a kertig sterak axe with a darkly glittering haft, you are certain that the lava drake is a simple opponent.
If you attacked with a kertig sterak axe with a darkly glittering haft, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you threw the axe at the enemy you are certain that it would train somewhat poorly.
If you defended by parrying attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you defended by evading attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you defended by blocking attacks, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.
If you attempted to beguile the enemy with tactics, you are certain that it would train rather well.
If you targeted and cast a spell at the enemy, you are certain that it would train acceptably.
If you attempted to debilitate the enemy, you are certain that it would train somewhat poorly.
The drake appears immune to fire.

Melee Mastery - 1178.87
Missile Mastery - 1152.67
Brawling - 979.11
Heavy Thrown - 973.14
Staves - 969.82
Light Thrown - 965.52
Large Edged - 962.79
Twohanded Blunt - 958.68
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/07/2018 03:02 PM CST
How long does it take you to lock those 6 weapons Somni?

~Hunter Hanryu
>You know how map makers use to be "Here be dragons"? Old DR code is like that. Except instead of dragons there are Lovecraftian horrors made out of well-intentioned psuedo-code.~Raesh
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/07/2018 03:38 PM CST

About 4 hours to lock up those 6 in my routine (which is full of other stuff)

Before the change, it was 7 weapons in the loop, and pretty much on the dot I had them all over my target of 30/34 in 4 hours. The whole thing was structured to 4 hours as thats what I have on week nights, so the whole script was setup around time
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/07/2018 06:37 PM CST
>About 4 hours to lock up those 6 in my routine

It used to take me ~3.5 hours to lock 4 ranged and 3 melee weapons (more since the strangeness), so that sounds comparable.

As a general question, under normal circumstance is that standard? Are players happy with that kind of time to lock? Are GMs happy with 3-4 hours to lock 7 weapons?

I'm not, but I'm curious if I'm the only one that thinks that 30 minutes per weapon is way to long. I don't want to spend that much time in combat, but I also really want to lock all 7 weapons. I really want to train 9 weapons, but I dropped 2HB and 2HE when I returned last year due to the time to lock already being super long.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/07/2018 07:27 PM CST

Personally, I think the driver to keeping 7+ weapons locked 24/7 should be reconsidered. As that's unlikely to change at this point, I would agree that all skills should be looked at it. They should all be faster.

> I really want to train 9 weapons, but I dropped 2HB and 2HE when I returned last year due to the time to lock already being super long.

You should probably keep one of those. Drop SB, LB, or LE instead.
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/08/2018 06:51 AM CST
>You should probably keep one of those. Drop SB, LB, or LE instead.

I know I probably should, but for RP purposes Hanryu would use the axe and scythe. While I've always trained him as a jack of all trades, the weapon focus has been on multi-use "hunter/woodsman/farmer's tools". Right now it's only crossbow that I have a hard time justifying keeping.

>Personally, I think the driver to keeping 7+ weapons locked 24/7 should be reconsidered.

I don't want to keep them locked 24/7, I want to lock them and get out to go do other stuff that fits Han's personality (armorer, swimming, foraging, etc). I know it's my own failing for "needing" to see that 30/34 in his weapons instead of just being happy with the ~12/34 I'm getting now in a few hours and getting out. But again, it used to be vaguely possible to get that in 4 hours. Furthermore, back in 2011 I trained a LOT more weapons and locked them all and it didn't take nearly this long. I know that was pre3.0 but I used to train 15 weapons which I cut in half because of lock time when I re-upped my sub a year ago. I'm sure combat3.0 is a dramatic improvement and I've got my rose colored glasses on, but I miss begin able to kill things quickly and learn from well from doing do.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/08/2018 10:01 AM CST

>Personally, I think the driver to keeping 7+ weapons locked 24/7 should be reconsidered

This is true, but not really the issue at hand. The issue at hand is that about a month ago, there appears to have been some kind of change to the way weapon XP is handled, and it now appears much harder to train weapons.
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/09/2018 02:07 PM CST

So... bump? Anyone look at this?
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 03/09/2018 06:04 PM CST
Two GM's have posted that they are looking into this issue, please be patient while they continue to investigate.

Additionally please do not bump threads.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 04/15/2018 04:23 PM CDT

Did this ever get addressed? Its been two months since the original post. Did we ever find what caused the issue and fix it?

Personally I changed my training to counter it, so couldn't say if I've noticed any difference in that time

Thanks
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 05/04/2018 05:19 PM CDT

Guessing this never got addressed/fixed before the great blackout of 2018? :(
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 05/04/2018 08:21 PM CDT

I believe it was stated it was being looked into, however it still hasn’t been returned to how it was before whatever changed.
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 08/10/2018 12:58 PM CDT

Bump? It's been 6 months since this was raised, could we get an update if anyone ever found out what had happened? Or if it's even being looked into anymore?

Thanks
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 05/08/2020 05:51 PM CDT
I've gone from being able to lock all weapons on my weapon tert to not being able to get them past 4/34. Weapon secondary caps at the same 4/34 even if I never leave combat. Harder mobs teach exactly the same as evenly matched mobs given the same rate on damaging hits. Nothing helps. More damage, mobs parrying attacks, potshots vs fully aimed attacks, there's just no way to break the barrier outside of attack speed increasing skills locked to thieves, rangers, and barbarians unless you have mastery skills significantly higher than your weapon skills.

I'm gaining roughly 30% more xp over time in tertiary skills than I am with secondary weapon skills now because of this nerf. It seems like a pointed effort to discourage training just one or two weapons, or you just sandbag forever.

Things have been changing around a lot this year with regards to this topic.
Can we get a response on the issue please? Why has this change been made?
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 05/08/2020 06:04 PM CDT
I can confirm I get less exp pushing myself against harder mobs like blademasters vs just cruising in moths.
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 05/08/2020 06:32 PM CDT
So I'm safe staying in Rats?
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 05/09/2020 11:35 AM CDT
It's only present at the higher critters on the ladder, very weird.
Re: Weapon Changes on EXP? 05/10/2020 05:58 PM CDT
It is definitely not only on the high end of the ladder. It's at all ranks.