Parry and Shield 09/02/2016 10:56 AM CDT
A couple of questions about the above skill sets:

1) I know parry teaches and depends somewhat on the balance of the weapon used to parry with. Exactly how detrimental, if at all, is it if Parry is say...100 ranks ahead of the weapon skill itself?

2) Is it possible completely forego Parry in favor of Shield? This is strictly from a defense standpoint and not just TDPs.
Re: Parry and Shield 09/02/2016 11:14 AM CDT
Parry does appear to have some extra utility when defending at melee against 4 opponents, but you will likely never hunt in a dangerous enough environment for this to matter.

You might regret ignoring parry if it is ever made to be a viable defense in the future (such as when shield became viable). IE train parry to defend against possible development changes in the next decade, not from actual combat.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Parry and Shield 09/02/2016 11:23 AM CDT

There's really no reason NOT to train parry. You can even train it by just stancing a few points into it and wearing a parry stick. When you do get hit, and you will occasionally no matter what, you'll learn a little.
Re: Parry and Shield 09/02/2016 11:27 AM CDT

> 2) Is it possible completely forego Parry in favor of Shield? This is strictly from a defense standpoint and not just TDPs.

Yes, it's possible. No, it's not recommended. TDPs, as you mentioned being the big one. Being the better defense against most mobs in the game being another. Being at the same learning rate as at least one of your other defenses is another, well for everyone but traders, but even they have to wait on weapons eventually. So why not just learn it? If you're concerned about survivability then reduce your offensive skills and put some of that into defense, and reduce the parry stance to 15-20 or so. It'll learn slower, but it'll still learn.
Re: Parry and Shield 09/02/2016 11:29 AM CDT
<<Exactly how detrimental, if at all, is it if Parry is say...100 ranks ahead of the weapon skill itself?>>

It has some effect, but not that big of one. My parry and shield ranks are pretty close to each other but my skill in the weapon with which I parry lags behind by like 35% or something (~260ish ranks or so I think), and I don't notice a difference in performance between parrying or blocking.

<<Is it possible completely forego Parry in favor of Shield? This is strictly from a defense standpoint and not just TDPs.>>

You could probably get away with it; most attacks that can be parried can also be blocked. I can only think of one exception to that ever, and it was an event creature's special attack that you're pretty unlikely to encounter (and even then it could be shut down altogether by a particular Cleric spell that was easy enough to ask for). As the others have said though, I still wouldn't advise neglecting parry entirely unless your character's roleplay demands it or something.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Parry and Shield 09/02/2016 12:11 PM CDT
Thanks for the replies, currently parry is my higher defense but being an empath, weapons aren't exactly my strong suit/focus. So the second question was more or less contingent on the first: So long as have low weapon ranks doesn't affect parry that much, then I'll keep on using it. And it's not like it's a huge bother to have a parry stick strapped to my arm...
Re: Parry and Shield 09/02/2016 06:24 PM CDT
As a barbarian I look forward to parry one day being shield and evasions equal....

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html