Armor terts in Brigandine or HP 07/28/2016 11:53 PM CDT
Hello,

Returning player here. I've spent a lot of time catching up on updates even easing myself back to the game through an F2P account (this is my actual subscriber account).

I came across this post from GM Kodius about armor 3.0 that has me worried and I need help interpreting it:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:HP_on_Armor_Terts_-_12/02/2012_-_13:58

"Heh, hinderance can potentially inflict a 90% defensive penalty. This means instead of being hit 1% of the time or less, you'd be hit >90% of the time. Extra damage absoption or no, this will be a BAD THING for armor terts wearing hindering HP."

Does this mean that for armor tert characters, in ADDITION to already learning at 1/3~1/4th the rate, even if i invested the triple~quadruple time to hit equal ranks - not only am I still not as effective as a paladin in HP, i take MORE damage than I would in a robe - all the while already having less armor-based abilities/magic?

Why the triple whammy?
Re: Armor terts in Brigandine or HP 07/29/2016 03:21 AM CDT
depends on your guild.

for warrior mages, they can do it no sweat.

was training light armors up until about blood wolves, but with the mixing penalty I found training multiple armors and stealth a bit difficult, so I snagged some weighted damite plate (not light plate, not heavy plate but middle plate). I ordered it in all single pieces to reduce hinderance, as well as training chain and brig.

closing in on circle 100 it hasn't been terribly problematic, but I run the core of war mage defenses with YS and run aoe TM cyclics to bolster my defenses. my hinderance is higher than I would like, but wearing mostly brig or plate is doable in a pve scenario.

brigadine seems good for warrior mages and is relatively popular (though many dislike it)

my rationale for wearing plate is this: if someone can see me hide, which is a probability since I am survival tert, that stealth does little to nothing for me.(I can still hide in pvp in plate)

but a heavier armor will at least do "something" for me, regardless of being outclassed,in the form of absorptions.

so...go for it! after wearing heavy armor those chain sets will seem like tissue paper.

-Munch-
Re: Armor terts in Brigandine or HP 07/29/2016 05:54 AM CDT
You can use plate as an armor tert in the sense that it won't make your character unviable after a point or anything. But you'll do better in chain or brig.

Mazrian
Re: Armor terts in Brigandine or HP 07/29/2016 08:48 AM CDT
>>Ehhhhhh. Last time this came up a few high rank players (over 1000 anyway) said that eventually the penalties from heavier armors do start to outweight the benefits of increased armor stats.

That's what Mazrian said.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Armor terts in Brigandine or HP 07/29/2016 09:42 AM CDT

'Ehhhhhhh' is read as 'no not really.', doubt, or not so polite disagreement. Your post read weirdly because it came across as...

>You're wrong, let me agree with everything you said in more detail.
Re: Armor terts in Brigandine or HP 07/29/2016 09:42 AM CDT

>>Ehhhhhh. Last time this came up a few high rank players (over 1000 anyway) said that eventually the penalties from heavier armors do start to outweight the benefits of increased armor stats. Basically given the same char with equal ranks they were seeing less overall damage per unit time in lighter armor across the spectrum.

>>Some even went so far as to say they saw less overall damage with significantly less ranks in the lighter armor.

>>Also, I always forget, but isn't there an offense penalty to wearing heavier armors?

This is mostly true. I think it has to do with the penalty being % based so it gets harsher the higher up the critter ladder (and skill ladder) you go. I still wear a mix purely for training, but even in full armor, chain feels like the best compromise overall from damage taken vs protection for an armor tert.
Re: Armor terts in Brigandine or HP 07/29/2016 09:58 AM CDT
>>Also, I always forget, but isn't there an offense penalty to wearing heavier armors?

No.
Re: Armor terts in Brigandine or HP 07/29/2016 01:13 PM CDT
I've been trying plate armor on a tert for awhile now, and my impresion is that it's just as viable as my WM who wears leather. You'll take noticeably more damage than if you were in chain... but you're not going to care unless your idea of fun is spending several hours in combat uninterrupted.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Armor terts in Brigandine or HP 07/29/2016 02:24 PM CDT
there might be scaling issues with hinderance down the road.
but up to 500 ranks at least, plate is working, with mixing penalties, on an armor/survival tert.

i'll keep trudging up the ladder, when I come to the point where it is too difficult to move up in plate, i'll ragepost to let you know where that spot is.

-Munch-
Re: Armor terts in Brigandine or HP 07/29/2016 03:05 PM CDT
besides, plate is cooler than wearing pajamas. many super awesome heroes gets decked out in plate for their big battles.

beowulf was decked out to fight the dragon
thorin oakenshield got decked out to fight the orcs
skeletor got decked out at the end of MoTU to fight he-man
iron man just wears hp all the time,

plate is just way cooler than the other armors because it was the pinnacle of technology and wealth for it's time.

regardless of skill sets and game mechanics, i put plate on my character because I think it's cool.

-Munch-
Re: Armor terts in Brigandine or HP 08/01/2016 06:57 AM CDT
I think it's pretty reasonable to train up to it. My Cleric is in all chain and swaps all armors, and around 400-500 armor average may switch to all brig swapping all armors. I don't know how people manage with the clown suits as armor terts though.

>Don't most players generally consider combat on a 1-2+ hours time frame?

It depends on the guild? My barb has almost no reason to step out of combat, while my necro is currently grinding tert survivals.