Pole or 2he? 04/23/2016 07:01 AM CDT
I'm curious as to what people feel is better in PvE specifically. 2HE seems to edge out pole at higher levels.

This is on a thief, I'm looking to add an extra 2-handed weapon to my lineup. Obviously I already train small edge, and that'll be my go-to for PvP. Most of my weapons are already light/fast and have good balance, so I thought I'd add something heavy with good strength stats instead.

Currently train se/sb/lt/brawling/crossbow/staff, and then either working 2he or pole in.
Re: Pole or 2he? 04/23/2016 10:32 AM CDT
2HE primary here and I prefer polearm. 2HE has higher potential damage, but the damage variety of polearms and better overall balance sways my vote. Since I have weapons secondary, I'm not crazy about those very heavy poorly balanced 2HEs anyway. I like polearms so much that I've made it my warmage's main weapon. It's a good complement to just about every weapon.

I could use just the two weapons below and feel confident I'm ready for any situation, and the skefne (spear) doubles as a heavy thrown weapon.

A haralun duraka skefne is a heavy thrown and pike melee-ranged weapon.
A haralun duraka skefne trains the heavy thrown and polearm skills.

You are certain that it could do:
very severe (14/26) puncture damage
fair (5/26) slice damage
moderate (7/26) impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The duraka skefne is inadequately designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the skefne is fairly (5/14) balanced and is well (9/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the duraka skefne is very strong against damage (14/18), and is in good condition (80-89%).

The duraka skefne is made with metal.
You are certain that the duraka skefne weighs exactly 75 stones.
You are certain that the duraka skefne is worth exactly 344132 Kronars.
Roundtime: 5 seconds.

A haralun awgravet ava is a halberd pole-ranged weapon.
A haralun awgravet ava trains the polearm skill.

You are certain that it could do:
very great (12/26) puncture damage
very great (12/26) slice damage
somewhat moderate (6/26) impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The awgravet ava is inadequately designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the ava is inadequately (4/14) balanced and is well (9/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the awgravet ava is very strong against damage (14/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The awgravet ava is made with metal.
You are certain that the awgravet ava weighs exactly 75 stones.
You are certain that the awgravet ava is worth exactly 376412 Kronars.
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Re: Pole or 2he? 04/23/2016 10:35 AM CDT
Forgot to mention that you can also use a one-hander polearm (javelin), so it can really do pretty much everything. You can use it to offhand throw while aiming a crossbow even, although offhand backstab's probably more fun.
Re: Pole or 2he? 04/23/2016 11:25 AM CDT
I agree with Warb, I prefer polearm for all the reasons he stated.

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: Pole or 2he? 04/23/2016 01:45 PM CDT
Same advice here. Go for polearms for all the reasons Warb stated.
Re: Pole or 2he? 04/23/2016 08:20 PM CDT
As much as I enjoy 2HE, if I had to chose one or the other, Pole wins.

I do still train 2HE, but I didn't have a swappable HE/2HE weapon, I probably wouldn't.

Anabasis
Re: Pole or 2he? 04/24/2016 08:32 PM CDT
Charging with polearm is sick. I like 2HE for most PVE mass killing. PVP however usually your better off having a more balanced weapon that has higher punct damage stats and can take advantage of damage on jabbing.
Re: Pole or 2he? 04/26/2016 08:58 AM CDT
+1 to polearms.

Maybe if i wasn't such a typical thief and had more points in strength i would get better results with 2HE but it seems like all those monster stats are reduced to nothing due to low balance.

On the other hand if you have the ranks to back it up, 2HE seems to be pretty good for mowing down lowbies during invasions or hunting near skill caps but there's definitely room for improvement with polearms if it wasn't for that charge issue from pole range (if that ever gets fixed or changed).
Re: Pole or 2he? 04/26/2016 09:50 AM CDT
Yeah, fortunately, the difference between these two isn't like the difference between "large" weapons and their "2-hand" and "small" cousins. I can't think of a good reason to recommend a large weapon to anyone. With 2HE, I can still say, "Well... You can obliterate things with the heaviest 2HE weapons faster than you can with a big halberd if you're a barb or underhunting."

I think the best way to pick between 2HE and polearms is to just go to Squanto's epedia page (https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Squanto%27s_rare_metal_weapons) and judge for yourself how Squantacular polearms. Just glance over the 2HE section, then scroll down to polearms and keep scrolling... It's a long list. Oh, and right beneath it is another of my 3.0 favorite weapon types for the most agile among us.
Re: Pole or 2he? 04/26/2016 04:17 PM CDT
Huh, 2HE is my favorite way to take things down quickly, outside stealth, with my thief. I love polearms almost as much, but for sure, if I can't hide but I can be at melee, I'mma greataxe some guys some questions. Maybe I'd change my opinion if I had different weapons? I mainly use my haralun spear for HT, not for polearmin', though my ranks are about even.
Re: Pole or 2he? 04/26/2016 04:27 PM CDT
There isn't a huge difference between a greataxe and a khuj. I'm more of a halberd fan, though.

Spears are great HT weapons, but they're not great pikes. Lances are great pikes, but poor HT weaps.
Re: Pole or 2he? 04/26/2016 04:54 PM CDT
I'll put a khuj or a halberd on my wishlist. =)