Armor hindrance floors 04/08/2016 01:12 PM CDT
This is something I have been mulling about recently. Does anyone know exactly how hindrance reduction due to ranks works, as far as the floors go? I was searching around Elanthipedia and couldn't find much more than armor prime does the best, secondary does alright, and tertiary does the worst.

I guess my first question is, is it entirely based off of skillset placement now? Or are there some guild specific differences based on armor type?

My next question, is the floor a % reduction base, or a hard limit floor? That is, say I am an armor secondary wearing plate armor... Will I be able to reduce lumium light plate to the same minimum hindrance with enough skill, as I would get while wearing some damite heavy plate? Or would it be more like a percentage reduction in hindrance, where even though they use the same skill, the damite heavy plate is much heavier and hindering, so its hindrance even at the minimum will be more than some lumium light plate? If that all makes sense.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Armor hindrance floors 04/08/2016 01:41 PM CDT
>>I guess my first question is, is it entirely based off of skillset placement now? Or are there some guild specific differences based on armor type?

It's entirely based off of skill placement.

>>My next question, is the floor a % reduction base, or a hard limit floor?

It's a percentage reduction. As an Armor tert, with enough ranks to hit minimum hinderance, I can get it down to insignificant in full zenganne/silk/some other materials, but it goes up to the light range if I wear anything heavier. So even once you have hit minimum hinderance from ranks there is still reason to wear lighter/less hindering armor if that matters to you.
Re: Armor hindrance floors 06/09/2016 10:01 AM CDT
Apologies for some minor thread necro, but my question seemed to fit this one relatively well. I'm coming back after a long break and was wondering...besides tdp's, what is the point of getting higher armor ranks, once you hit the hinderance reduction cap? Does it do anything else? I couldn't find any past posts or e-pedia articles that answered this.
Re: Armor hindrance floors 06/09/2016 11:31 AM CDT

The answer I remember is that as you gain evasion ranks you need more armor ranks to maintain that minimum hindrance.

Also, I think that more armor ranks means that you get more damage reduction from the protection stats of your armor. Less sure about this one; I think there was a lot of discussion around it near the combat 3.0 release.
Re: Armor hindrance floors 06/09/2016 11:40 AM CDT
The protective value of your armor can be heavily modified depending on how your armor skill compares to your opponent's offence.

> Protection: An armor's protection reduces incoming damage by a flat amount, making it ideal for dealing with light hits. While it may not reduce damage by as much as absorption (the other stat), protection tends to be the stat that reduces damage to 0.
> Protection is heavily modified by a skill contest of your armor factor versus the attacker's offensive factor. (Armor factor is armor skill and a few other modifiers. Offensive factor is weapon skill and some other modifiers.) With low armor skill (compared to the attacker), your armor loses all of its protection.

> Absorption: An armor's absorption reduces damage by a percentage, making it ideal for mitigating large hits. However, absorption generally won't reduce damage to 0. (That's what protection does.) In player-made armor, absorption generally correlates with the density of the material used.
> Unlike protection, absorption is not severely penalized by lack of armor skill. It is only modified slightly by a skill contest of your armor factor versus the attacker's offensive factor.

> https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide#Armor_Protection_and_Absorption
Re: Armor hindrance floors 06/09/2016 01:15 PM CDT
Thank you for the replies. Answered my questions perfectly. Seems I just wasn't looking in the right places.