Appraisal 11/02/2016 12:25 PM CDT
I'm under the impression that the appraisal values for ranged weapons (and crossbows in particular) don't necessarily reflect their performance very well. Is there a way to know if a particular crossbow is good? I was considering some of the heavy crossbows at Basimah's, but then I compared the appraisal of the pole/ht weapons there, to the spear in Crossing, and was concerned that this shop might just sell outdated stuff with interesting looks. Should I just get player made common material stuff, instead of something from the festival, or is there something roughly the same or better quality as that, but with a better look available?
Re: Appraisal 11/02/2016 01:20 PM CDT
As a general (but not 100%) rule, if an item appraises as "average construction" it's typically a 2.0 item.

"Rather reinforced against damage" is typically 3.0/T4 (90 hardness), "highly protected against damage" is typically 3.0/T5 (95 hardness, glaes/kertig/haralun/damite/etc), and "extremely resistant to damage" is typically 3.0/T6 (99 hardness aka tyrium).

There are always exceptions (I don't think ammo follows these rules at all, and a GM could theoretically make a T10 item with no durability if they wanted), but more often than not in your standard festival shop or quest incidental/end prize situations, I find this system to work.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Appraisal 11/04/2016 08:03 AM CDT
<< ranged weapons (and crossbows in particular) don't necessarily reflect their performance very well

This is true, appraisal does not give you any info about load times and there's no way you can compare without knowing that. I'm not entirely sure but crossbow round times should now range from roughly 4 to > 15? seconds. This kind of disparity in round times can add up to a notable difference in dps, with all things considered.

On the side note, didn't we have load times in appraisals in the test realm before crafting was released?

These two lines did not make it to live? Or wth is that anyway - extremely low draw strength?

>appr my cross
A laminated oak and horn crossbow with a blued steel cranequin is a light crossbow type weapon.
A laminated oak and horn crossbow with a blued steel cranequin trains the crossbow skill.

The oak and horn crossbow is reasonably designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the crossbow is well balanced and is very well suited for adding attack power from its draw strength.
The crossbow appears set for a draw strength that is extremely low for a bow of this type.
The crossbow does not appear to have an adjustable draw strength.

You are certain that the oak and horn crossbow is appreciably susceptible to damage, and is in pristine condition.

It appears that the oak and horn crossbow can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the oak and horn crossbow weighs exactly 75 stones.
You are certain that the oak and horn crossbow is worth exactly 13530 Dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

<< and was concerned that this shop might just sell outdated stuff with interesting looks

I'm fairly sure that appraisals were updated across the board and applied to all existing crossbows. At least my old museum crossbow now has different appraisal values after crafting was released.