Learning Rates 09/25/2016 08:40 PM CDT
Disappointed to see that even with the introduction of player-made bolts and crossbows, learning rates for crossbows are still difficult.

I was racking my brain trying to suggest feats or new features to improve rates, but I think the simple matter is that crossbows (and slings for that matter) could use an experience modifier that act as a a boost.

Top-of-the-line rare wood/metal bolts, top-of-the-line crossbows, rare quest/auction repeaters, I've tried them all and experience simply isn't up to snuff with melee, thrown, and bows.
Re: Learning Rates 09/25/2016 08:59 PM CDT
I've been considering training crossbows since I got that stonebow from Duskruin, but the ease with which I can mindlock thrown and other weapons has kept me from fooling with it. I can see the advantages xbows might have in PvP, but since I don't really do that I can't find a reason to train them over HT or something.
Re: Learning Rates 09/25/2016 09:18 PM CDT
Thats funny to hear, as a class who cannot buff ranged or dual load I find it's Throwns > Crossbows > Bows > Slings when it comes to gaining EXP, and Crossbow being hilariously ahead damage wise.

My warmie has similar results, just omits slings.

Samsaren
Re: Learning Rates 09/25/2016 09:42 PM CDT
I find crossbows and bows to be almost analogous, only with crossbows having considerably higher roundtime. With no buffs and omitting dual load, each shot fills one mindstate.
Re: Learning Rates 09/25/2016 10:33 PM CDT

Weird, crossbow always trained great for me, 2-3 mind states per shot, even with store bought ammo. I just checked my logs for one character back training crossbows and one training primary and they both got 3+ mind states in two shots with 5 second load bows and store ammo.
Re: Learning Rates 09/25/2016 11:01 PM CDT
I'd want to look at your ranks compared to what you are killing, you might be hitting their soft cap.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Learning Rates 09/26/2016 12:01 AM CDT
Well with stonebows specifically I believe its a dearth of decent ammo that keeps learning lower. I'm not gonna drop 900 plat right now for a senci shard.

Does anyone train stonebows regularly with quartzite shards? I'd like to try those, but going from capped basilisk arrows on a short bow to a 5/6 RT load on the stonebow doesn't seem worth it from a training point of view.
Re: Learning Rates 09/26/2016 05:22 AM CDT

Use an arbalest to train and the stonebow for RP if that's your thing. Long load time but way more mindstates per shot.
Re: Learning Rates 09/26/2016 06:10 AM CDT

>>Thats funny to hear, as a class who cannot buff ranged or dual load I find it's Throwns > Crossbows > Bows > Slings when it comes to gaining EXP, and Crossbow being hilariously ahead damage wise.

This has been exactly my experience as well.
Re: Learning Rates 09/26/2016 07:18 AM CDT
the new xbow crafting really makes it easier/quicker. I was training with an 11 base load HX repeater, but reloading. i had a lelori foresters made and have 5/6 sec roundtimes now and it's much easier. I did have to focus on xbow starting out to make sure I kept it viable with my melee weapons since it is the only physical ranged weapon I train.

little things like weaving and brawling with offhand make it easier as well

xbow used to be the go-to ranged for alot of people when snapshooting was more of a thing. force of impact used to knockdown, and other things that it doesn't seem to anymore. I think chaining xbow shots can still work, albeit alot slower than it used to which kind of defeats the purpose of doing it at all, eventually i'll try it at wyvern trials just to get proficient.

xbows used to go loaded into backpacks, but with the introduction of new harnesses and ties you can up the number of loaded crossbows on your person to pretty good numbers again.

-Munch-