Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/20/2016 08:02 AM CDT
I posted this on reddit and got some informative responses but wanted to repeat it here. Played a long time ago, read through the changes on the wiki. It will go against the meta but I want to make a character that is the best crossbow user I can. What guild is the best for that? What gear, stats, and abilities do I want at level 1, level 10, level 50? I'm coming in without any resources, so I'll start with store stuff and work my way up to crafted.

Don't care about other stuff. Just want to build a crossbow dude. Because I like crossbows. And it sounds fun.
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/20/2016 09:30 PM CDT
I saw this thread on reddit but I don't think I replied there so here are my thoughts.

Thief -- You'll get great stealth abilities that will help you have that aim time to strike with the crossbow. You'll get to snipe and use sniper's crossbows (which give a small bonus I hear). You'll only have to train 2 weapons to circle. However, you will have to train some masochistic skills such as Thievery, and you'll be locked out of the magic system, which you shouldn't underestimate. Many Thieves are killer in PVP but I've also heard many be pretty sad about lack of magic.

Barbarian -- You'll be flat out the best, skill-wise, with Crossbows, due to being weapons primary plus having Eagle Form, which boosts Crossbows. Plus you'll be pretty beastly in other regards in combat, and probably great in PVP. However, you'll have to train 4 weapons total (and probably want more to take advantage of your primary skillset), you won't be as good at stealth as Thief or Ranger, and you'll again be locked out of magic.

Ranger -- You'll get decent stealth abilities, though not as good as Thief. You'll be able to snipe and use stealth to build up your shots. You will have access to magic and all that entails (which can be a lot if you're willing to try sorcery), including a spell that will boost your Crossbow skill. Like Thief, only 2 weapons required to circle so you can focus on Crossbow. You won't be as good in PVP as Thief or Barbarian.

If you want to get really crazy with it, you could also try Warrior Mage or Bard, as they are both weapons secondary and have access to Tailwind, a ranged weapons booster. However both would be magic heavy and are not great at stealth.

- Navesi
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/21/2016 06:15 AM CDT
Almost 24 hours in and only one response is disheartening. I haven't found time to play yet, but Reddit was all over this post, so I was expecting the official forums to be even bigger :(
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/21/2016 07:29 AM CDT
A lot of people who post here also frequent the reddit page, so it may be that they've already weighed in.

That or everybody just agrees with me. ;)

- Navesi
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/21/2016 08:40 AM CDT
Seeing a barb or ranger using a crossbow over a bow is always strange to me. Dual load makes crossbows a less optimal choice in any situation I can think of.

The only thing in DR that sets apart people in different guilds, for the most part, is special abilities and skill set placement, and I'm not really aware of any special abilities for crossbows. In other words, any guild that can buff crossbows is almost equally good with them. If you're really dead set on being the best with a mundane weapon, go barb, but I wouldn't go barb just for crossbow proficiency (see note re: dual load).

Pretty much every guild is good with a crossbow except weapons tert guilds and secondary guilds that can't buff it. My recommendation:

If you care about all weapons, not just XB, the choice is barb; just don't expect to use it as a primary ranged weapon forever.

If you just want to be really good with a crossbow as your primary ranged weapon, go thief. It fits the theme better than ranger, in my mind, and I've always enjoyed sniping with a crossbow on my thief.

If you want to be able to annihilate anything at range with crossbows and magic, warrior mage is the perfect choice. They're built to kill stuff better than anyone at any range.
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/21/2016 09:22 AM CDT
That's insigte no-one on reddit shared! Someone did suggest going Paladin for the shield.
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/21/2016 11:22 AM CDT
>>That's insigte no-one on reddit shared! Someone did suggest going Paladin for the shield.

Paladins lack a native ranged buff, or an agility buff. If you're looking to maximize crossbow power, its not the way to go.

Samsaren
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/21/2016 12:11 PM CDT

My suggestion is choose the guild and race that best suits your personality/play style and not the one with the best mechanics. If you build a character solely based on mechanical benefits it will ultimately be unfulfilling. Almost any race/guild combination (barring empaths) could be successful as a crossbow user...its the other aspects that will make or break the experience for you.
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/21/2016 03:16 PM CDT
<<Almost any race/guild combination (barring empaths) could be successful as a crossbow user

Just to follow this aside for a bit.... Absolution allows Empaths to be successful with ranged weapons now. And even shock, while still a very significant penalty in many respects, isn't as completely debilitating a choice as it once was. It depends on how successful is being defined. If successful means able to use it with a decent level of effectiveness then Empaths meet that requirement since they now have the tools they need to be able to use it. If it means able to use it more effectively than average then Empaths don't meet that since they don't have any advantages at all with it.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/21/2016 04:40 PM CDT
Barbarian is the way to go. Racial selection is actually more important than guild (though the Thief, Barb, Ranger suggestions hit the top three). If you are all about weapons and don't care about magic or other tertiary stuff then barbarian is the easiest to circle and gain weapon skills in. Paladin has easier circling requirements but many are out of combat. Ranger and thief survival requirements are painful if you just want to be the best at crossbow too. So, barbarian and go with a race that has pumped up agility. For me, I chose a Gnome to go with. Heck you can always train bow, light thrown, small blunt/edged etc. which is what you'd probably do as a Ranger or thief.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/21/2016 04:42 PM CDT
>My suggestion is choose the guild and race that best suits your personality/play style and not the one with the best mechanics. If you build a character solely based on mechanical benefits it will ultimately be unfulfilling. Almost any race/guild combination (barring empaths) could be successful as a crossbow user...its the other aspects that will make or break the experience for you.

That's good advice, but I'd add a caveat for folks that aren't very familiar with the game. You can make most things work in DR up to HLC ranks by just training more, but you have to be willing to put the time in to make it work, and it's a LONG time to make it work.

If crossbows are your favorite weapon in the game or mundane ranged combat makes you giddy, you should probably stay away from guilds like Moon Mage or Paladin. Otherwise, you may find yourself regretting your choice 500 ranks in when you realize how much better others are at using crossbows and quit when you consider how long it'll take to start over, like other people have posted about here in the past.

If you know and you're willing to make concessions to try a guild that really seems like it'd suit you, then that's always the best option.
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/29/2016 06:22 AM CDT
I read this post when it was fresh but it did make me think it would be fun to do.

I've narrowed my personal choices down to thief or barbarian for a flavor build like this. I know a bit about thieves (but not as much as I should) but almost nothing about barbarians.

Seems like barb is a poor choice because they're significantly better off using a stick bow and dual loading; plus lack of snipe. Other than that I'd say they wash pretty close. Barb has a lot more stand and fight power, thief is basically 'I hid and snipe'.
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/29/2016 09:47 AM CDT
I'll throw WM And Cleric hats in for great xbow guild as well.

Sure you cant snipe, but you can poach. What you do get, however, are disables that make you hit much harder (IP, Sick). WM also comes with a ranged buff spell (Tailwind)
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/29/2016 09:53 AM CDT

> Sure you cant snipe, but you can poach. What you do get, however, are disables that make you hit much harder (IP, Sick). WM also comes with a ranged buff spell (Tailwind)

+ the removal of SOI. In fact, I'd say that a warrior mage or bard could be the best at crossbows now.

Imobilize/stun + shove + tailwind + rage + pulsing balance hits. Unfortunately, you can't resonance the crossbow or bolts, so I'd guess you can't ignite them either. Still, it's a potent suite.
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/29/2016 09:56 AM CDT

Yes only downside would be TW's outdoor only limitation. Indoor hunting would be without the 20% buff.
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/29/2016 10:30 AM CDT
I would suggest Thief or WM/Bard (with TW + Rage) personally. If you care at all about min/maxing and playing to a guild's strengths then you are gimping yourself using a xbow over a stick bow on a Barb. Knowing your character history a bit I would suggest going the WM/Bard route for something new and access to magic.

>>Yes only downside would be TW's outdoor only limitation. Indoor hunting would be without the 20% buff.

It's castable indoors now. I believe it's just more difficult, or results in a lower potency. I haven't really tested that part.

> obser sky
That's a bit hard to do while inside.

> prep tw
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.

You trace an angular sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Tailwind spell.

> cast
You gesture.
Controlling the wind in such a tight space seems to be far more difficult.
The wind begins to shift until it blows gently from behind your back.
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/29/2016 12:47 PM CDT
with a little sorcery your war mage can cast that ranger spell that buffs ranged weapons too.

-Munch-
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/29/2016 01:17 PM CDT
>>with a little sorcery your war mage can cast that ranger spell that buffs ranged weapons too.

Why on earth would you?

Samsaren
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/29/2016 01:18 PM CDT
<<Why on earth would you?

Because earth is opposed to air, of course.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/29/2016 03:43 PM CDT
Hey abs! aka car crash graham.

I dunno, do they not stack?

-Munch-
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/30/2016 09:51 AM CDT
>I dunno, do they not stack?

No.

Samsaren
Re: Best crossbow build/guild/gear/stats 07/31/2016 05:40 AM CDT

thats a good reason not to then.
-Munch-