Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 05:30 AM CDT
I don't know what it is like at higher ranks, but are crossbows supposed to be so insanely powerful at low ranks? My storebought light crossbow with storebought bolts 2 shots rats (18/23 + 23/23) with 0 ranks at full aim and each shot moves learning 3.5/34 mindstates.

To compare, the best I get with my jagged scythe from Beyond the Barrier is 10/23 to 13/23 and less than a mindstate of learning per hit at zero ranks. Granted I can get in about 2-3 hits in the same time it takes to load a shot on the crossbow depending on fatigue, but the crossbow is still outperforming a tier 5 weapon by a long shot, nevermind the other storebought weapons I have which aren't even in the same ballpark. STR 10, AGI 14.

I'm going to assume it evens out at higher ranks, since I haven't seen a big discussion about this?
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 09:04 AM CDT
Do you have any stats/mastery skills/etc that might supporting the extra oomph you're seeing? Or was this with a straight up new character?

Nikpack
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 09:13 AM CDT
<<Do you have any stats/mastery skills/etc that might supporting the extra oomph you're seeing? Or was this with a straight up new character?

Straight up new character. Circle 1, no abilities known/used. Even melee and missile mastery were at minimum rank, although I didn't check at the time for some reason so I'm unsure if that was 0 or not. I had spent about a day working non-combats before entering combat, so most of those were in the 15 to 25 range, but that shouldn't make a difference.
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 09:35 AM CDT
I don't notice my crossbow moving exceptionally fast at 100th circle or 176th circle, might just be a quirk of early learning, that probably is better left alone, especially since it doesn't make a huge difference at those levels.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 10:28 AM CDT
Anecdote:

I train my high 70s HX on first level brocket deer (using full aim) and it jumps two to three but usually two mind states per shot. But between the 12 second load and the 12 second aim time I feel like slitting my wrist training it.
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 10:36 AM CDT
And on your damage point, with full aim my HX which hits like a damn truck.
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 11:53 AM CDT

Use a theren arbalest and it jumps lik 4-7 mind states if in a good learning range for critter

[00:15] Chatter[Uzmam] Damian just wants to beat up dancers, what a bully
[00:15] Chatter[Morpion] Wait for them outside the club at 3 am?
[00:15] Chatter[Damian] i enjoy making them scream with pure terror
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 12:16 PM CDT
>Use a theren arbalest and it jumps lik 4-7 mind states if in a good learning range for critter

Are they wearable AND/OR can have straps attached to them to make them wearable?
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 02:44 PM CDT
Yeah, hunting at-level with a forester's LX, I can usually pop around 3 mindstates with each hit. Even with that, however, I'm pretty sure it still takes longer to lock up than most of my other weapons.

As far as the damage output is concerned, I seem to find that crossbows hit exceptionally well against critters, but aren't as potent against other characters. In both circumstances this is using the same forester's crossbow with standard crossbow bolts. I suspect this is likely because I normally hunt shieldless 4-legged creatures, and in most PvP fights I've got the additional task of trying to get past my opponent's shield. I suppose I could also try a bigger crossbow and some better ammo.

Life is short, and so am I.
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 05:29 PM CDT
I don't believe so. You cant stow loaded either. But mindlock a skill in 8-9 shots easy. Whats the difference with wearing or stowing anyways? I just use to train or weaponmaster titles. Not a primary weapon. But there are also RT reductions earlier then normal HX. So hand loading and that helps

arbalest type

First Reduction:
##26 Strength
##Strength + Agility = 40
##151 ranks

Second Reduction:
##36 Strength
##Strength + Agility = 60
##251 ranks

Third Reduction:
##46 Strength
##Strength + Agility = 80
##351 ranks

Fourth Reduction:
##56 Strength
##Strength + Agility = 100
##451 ranks

[00:15] Chatter[Uzmam] Damian just wants to beat up dancers, what a bully
[00:15] Chatter[Morpion] Wait for them outside the club at 3 am?
[00:15] Chatter[Damian] i enjoy making them scream with pure terror
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 05:33 PM CDT
>Whats the difference with wearing or stowing anyways?

One being what you mentioned earlier, not being able to stow loaded. The second being as box picker/collector my backpack gets full I try to limit what I put in it.
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 06:26 PM CDT
Try a stonebow and senci/diamondique shards Noop. 4 second from backpack load. 3 if ranger or barbarian, at least for EXP purposes. Crossbow in PvP is pretty bad.
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 10:11 PM CDT
<<Yeah, hunting at-level with a forester's LX, I can usually pop around 3 mindstates with each hit. Even with that, however, I'm pretty sure it still takes longer to lock up than most of my other weapons.

That sounds like it evens out as skill increases then. In rats I'm able to lock it in less than a third of the time and with about 5 times the number of kills. Guess it's just a quirk of the way aim + ammo scales.
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 11:22 PM CDT
Try thrown for DPS early on if you want to see something strange. Crossbow hits brutal hard, but it takes 20 minutes to load. Clock it vs lighter HT weapon via lob right out the gate. A stonebow and senci shard comes the closest to parity, and it's really not even ballpark parity vs a steel javelin.
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/16/2014 11:51 PM CDT
My other character 3 months ago did both LT and HT from zero ranks and while I noticed they both killed and locked relatively fast compared to melee weapons it wasn't anything close to what I'm seeing with the crossbow. That said, I was just using THROW not LOB. I haven't really experimented with maneuvers yet except for once just to see how the mechanics behaved. It seems like some of them are worth using? Which others besides LOB are useful?
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/17/2014 06:50 PM CDT
Are you counting load time and aim time in your "kill as fast" measurement or just number of attacks/shots to kill? Before switching to a stonebow, I was getting 18 seconds to load (arbalest) and another 8-10 or so to aim. Lob is about 2-3 seconds with my light javelin, so I figure I get 11-14 lobs for ONE fully aimed arbalest shot, and I'm killing the creature in far fewer than 11-14 lobs.

LOB is definitely the best thrown move, in my opinion (at least on my low guys), because it's fast and it allows you to use forged puncture/slice thrown weapons without the lodge. I haven't been using maneuvers on my low guys.
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/18/2014 03:39 AM CDT
<<Are you counting load time and aim time in your "kill as fast" measurement or just number of attacks/shots to kill?

Overall time per kill. In the time it takes me to lock crossbow (which only takes me about 12 shots) I usually get 6 kills. This takes about 5 minutes - 10 second load time, 10 second aim, plus a bit of script baggage like lootchecking, etc for about 30seconds per shot. In the time it takes me lock Polearms with the scythe I usually get about the same number of kills but it takes about 10 minutes. Slings takes about 15 minutes to lock with about 4 kills. SB is even worse, usually only resulting in a single kill or two over the course of around 15 minutes to lock. So in terms of kills/minute: Xbow=~1, Polearm=~.5, Slings=~.33, and SB=~.1

Ironically, however, this has actually resulted in Crossbow gaining ranks slower due to the way I train because it's locking much, much faster. I train each weapon to locked and then move to the next in cycle and what is happening is Xbow is getting fewer pulses during the time it takes to lock which has had a noticeable impact over time. About a two rank difference at 20 ranks compared to the slower locking weapons.

<<LOB is definitely the best thrown move, in my opinion (at least on my low guys), because it's fast and it allows you to use forged puncture/slice thrown weapons without the lodge. I haven't been using maneuvers on my low guys.

I will definitely be looking into this, especially for the slower to lock and kill weapons.
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/18/2014 08:35 AM CDT
When you get past 20 ranks and have the stats to reduce weapon Roundtime you'll notice basically every melee and thrown weapon blow past Crossbow in terms of Time To Lock. If you're cycling to desired mind state, the order in which you begin and end your cycle also matters where the rank disparity comes from. I've run Crossbow as the first weapon in my cycle and it's one of my characters highest weapons (This is partially because it takes the longest to get to my desired mind state there for I spend more time on this before other weapons get off Clear) by 18 ranks (around 1000 ranks in my weapons.)

On one of my other characters with a lot less ranks, I have other weapons which are higher because they're first in my cycle, and take less to get to my desired mind states. I'd be willing to bet, if I dont utilize a ramp up phase for EXP, Crossbow will eventually pull ahead.
Re: Crossbows at low ranks 07/18/2014 08:44 AM CDT
I'm only at 160 ranks and I don't even bother locking my Crossbow. It's so slow compared to every other weapon I train both in terms of time spent locking and damage done. The only reason I train it at all is because the riot crossbow from Aftermath fits my character's theme, so I wear it. I load it up with 14 bolts and blow through them when I first start hunting, which usually gets me to 26 or 27/34 and then just lock my other skills and let the Crossbow drain without bothering with it again during that hunting session.