best way to learn crossbow 05/08/2013 01:29 PM CDT

I don't want to wad through 100 posts, so whats the best way to learn crossbow now? stonebow or regular xbow
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/08/2013 01:40 PM CDT
>>whats the best way to learn crossbow now? stonebow or regular xbow

I just went from 0 to 34/34 in a little over 8 minutes with fully aimed shots from a one second reduced load lx and pulzones.

I'd be interested too to hear how stonebow's are performing.
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/08/2013 02:11 PM CDT
>I'd be interested too to hear how stonebows are performing.

It's alright. Learns fine, takes a few more shots to kill; but ammo is cheap and plentiful.
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/08/2013 02:44 PM CDT
I find that I seem to learn a bit faster with the stonebow and carved shards vs my sniper's lx and store bought bolts. I haven't done any real testing to prove that but just my impression from using them both. Once tinkering is released and I can carve my own bolts I'll probably revisit, but I'm too cheap to buy quads/pulzones.
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/08/2013 06:39 PM CDT
Stonebows aren't as good anymore. Ranged mechanics favor high RT now - as in, I can nearly lock Xbow because of the 10 sec RT on LOAD while Sling, with less ranks - does about a third as well with the same amount of time invested and the same time spent AIMing.

This would also apply to melee damage since they use the same calcs now, but where can you find a melee weapon with a 10+ second RT?

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/08/2013 06:41 PM CDT
sorry, meant 2/3rds as well. No edit button -_-

Bow has the same problem, it's something I can directly observe since my script outputs training times and such.

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/08/2013 07:24 PM CDT
is there a preferred defense stance set up when xbow training? or is any setting effective.

i.e 60/60/60
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/08/2013 08:52 PM CDT
Well, I'd personally avoid parry, since you can't parry with ranged weapons (and parry sticks are disabled with anything held in your right hand). So probably 100/80 split between evasion/shield?

Pants.
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/08/2013 08:57 PM CDT
I use a hallows eve xbow which is pretty much a foresters with a fancier description. I train in a custom stance evasion 100 shield the rest. I dont use upgraded ammo, even tho that would probably train better. Xbow training is much improved, no issues tbh I train it pretty much on par with the rest of my weapons, it scales well with better stuff, still trains OK with store bought. Don't overthink it. For the record the Arbelast bug of locking in like 20 seconds has been squashed.

- Buuwl
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/09/2013 11:15 AM CDT

I haven't timed it but I am finding HX really pretty satisfying right now- oh I mean Crossbow. I still use my Museum HX and it works fine.

The two important things I believe are:
a) Wait for full aim
b) Make sure you hit

Sounds simple, but I hate- hate- hate missing- wastes my time- still trains- but trains much worse. Do what you need to do to make sure you hit them- I use Cleric wonderfulness.

I don't believe the ammo makes much difference for learning now- learning is not affected by how much damage you do- I believe it is now- whether you hit- full aim- and difficulty of target.

I go with stance shield 100, evas 89 while using my crossbow, this is because Flavius gets a bigger boost to shield than he does to evasion. Shield and HX lock almost at the same time.
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/09/2013 11:48 AM CDT
>> For the record the Arbelast bug of locking in like 20 seconds has been squashed.

Slow loading past a point still seems to train a lot faster. I use an Arbalest and there's a pretty significant gap between it and an LX. From what I've seen, Stonebow and a standard LX seem to perform near identically in XP gain(done runs with both of em). Their RTs are also pretty close, for the record.

Honestly though, all AIMed weapons need their XP per action uptweaked. They still can't compete with melee and the 'fix' to the bug with XP earned turned out to be something of an over-nerf. I think it should be loosened a bit.

Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/09/2013 12:43 PM CDT

Yeah I like the way crossbows train, its my main weapon. If only it would be viable in pvp now I would be very happy. I'm not sure what needs to be done but for a barbarian who was really looking forward to the predator path ( Panther/Eagle/Crossbow/Poach ) for a pvp tactic All of the things this tree was built around are broken. Stealth is so buggy its not worth using at all and full aim with quads and a crossbow lands light hits unless you catch someone laying down with no buffs and you out class them, I hope this is not the model for ranged and if it is I hope the predator tree is changed greatly.
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/11/2013 08:00 PM CDT
>>Bow experience

If folks can readily ML in 8 minutes using ranged weapons, I'm not seeing a problem. Combat has some 200 variables in it, and spending man decades to ensure each one locks in exactly the same number of seconds is a horrible waste of time >:|

Please provide more than offhand remarks to support your stances. If melee is locking in 5 minutes and bows are locking in 10 minutes, well that might be a bit too much. But if melee is locking in 6 and bows are locking in 8, that isn't too far off. Emailing us logs or tabulated data would suffice. But, we just can't go off peoples' gut feelings.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/11/2013 08:07 PM CDT
>>full aim with quads and a crossbow lands light hits unless you catch someone laying down with no buffs and you out class them

What skill. What enemy. How many shots to kill?

Damage message depends primarily on what % of vitality you took away, so the first few hits will always message "lighter" than hits on an already hurt opponent.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/11/2013 10:15 PM CDT

I'll do some testing and send you the logs Mr Kodius
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/11/2013 10:18 PM CDT

Also the fact that to load/full aim with crossbows at the fastest you are looking at 14 seconds per shot. The kind of being damage done and the lack of hitting really does not seem to compensate for such a large downtime. I understand a large value to crossbows is being able to keep one loaded on your shoulder 9 more if you have space ), but still the damage does not seem to make up for the time. As said I'll get some logs and send them to you.
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/12/2013 11:55 AM CDT
The larger crossbows have a 200% (or more) damage bonus to compensate for the longer load times. Swinging a sword can take 3-4 seconds, and does not do 100% for all damage types. If a crossbow takes 3x as long and does 200% for all damage types, they should be coming out about even - especially because harder-hitting weapons penetrate armor more effectively.

A lack of hitting would imply you are hunting something too difficult for your skill. If you have offenses = to your enemy's defenses you should be missing about 3 out of 5 shots. This is the same for melee, and was maintained in C3.0 because it resulted in the least disruption of hunting areas. When I tried adjusting it to make more sense - folks kind of freaked out (because it resulted in everyone moving down 2 hunting areas lower!)

With equal skill and full aim you should be missing about 2 out of 5 shots, and with 20% more skill than your enemy's defenses you should be missing about 1 in 5. Your typical ranged buff, or incredible balance OF increase will pop you into this category, which is why it works. Very few folks enter combat without some sort of debuff/buff available to improve their to-hit odds.

The combat system isn't perfect, but we can and will tweak the numbers to balance things out. Enemies teach well even up to 140% of their defenses, so needing 20% more skill than would make sense to hit them isn't as big of an issue.

Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/12/2013 11:43 PM CDT
The problem is not so much with pve Kodius as PVP. I hunt fine with crossbows, it's my main weapon. The problem is in pvp where you can't miss and have a 32 second gap from shot to shot causing you to get destroyed. Gort, myself and a few others were talking about this last night. It seems a few things cause crossbows and some other ranged weapons to be not really viable in pvp, 1 miss rate, 2 the way damage shields work, 3 speed it takes to load, aim, fire. I don't feel crossbows should have the same hit/miss rate as melee, I think it should far harder to dodge a crossbow. I also feel 7 seconds aim should be able to be worked down with skill, 7 seconds is a long time.
From what I know, all the people who have tried to use ranged in pvp were forced to leave it for melee. I asked Gort to help me do some testing but Im not sure what would really show you what is needed other than the fact that ranged/stealth went from being only way to pvp to being not viable at all for the most part. I think we need a happy medium and right now I don't see us as having it. I hope some others can speak up to help shed some light on this subject. Ranged is one of those things that is being hurt by a few different mechanics such as hang back, damage shields, balance not helping "to-hit" like it should. I wish I could nail it down for you and point the finger at what needs fixing but I can't, and as they say the proofs in the pudding..and right now the pudding is being flung from melee and seems useless from range.

Wishful Future Predator Barbarian Heitak
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/13/2013 01:09 PM CDT
>>1 miss rate

I explained that a bit. You need to give me information or else accept that you aren't properly engaging in PvP. If you have 600 LX and your opponent has 600 evasion and shield, prepare to get murdered.

>>2 the way damage shields work

Yes these need adjusting and it is being worked on. However, damage shields block melee just as much as ranged. If a melee attack does 10 damage, and 3 is blocked, and a bolt does 20 damage, and 6 is blocked, the crossbow should still come out ahead.

>>3 speed it takes to load, aim, fire.

Crossbows are slower because they do X% more damage. Eventually the engagement rewrite will assist with players maintaining distance for a short time, but eventually folks will get to melee. It isn't realistic or balanced for a crossbow user to get off more than 1 or 2 shots before someone closes on them. This is no different from using a TM spell...

>> worked down aim time

All weapons are balanced to do approximately the same DPS at the same tier/weight, so if we did this we'd also have to reduce their damage bonus.

One metric that would be helpful is your measurements of DPS. If 2 crossbow bolts take someone down 10% vitality in 24 seconds, and a melee user can take someone down 25% vitality in 24 seconds, then the math needs to be looked at or the factors need rebalancing. I've not seen these numbers from folks, so it is hard to suggest improvements.

Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/13/2013 01:38 PM CDT

Thank you for letting me know what you need to see, I was not sure where to start and this helps. I agree about only being able to get off a few shots with crossbow before melee combat. It seems a bit off that if one person has 600 crossbow vs a target with equal shield/evasion than the crossbow user is toast, I would say most players train shield and evasion and use that tactic in pvp, so right off the bat due to the option of 2 defenses being the standard crossbow becomes useless due to the combination of not being able to hit and long RTs. I buff my crossbow, they buff defense, back to square 1. If this is how bows will work than I feel poach should bypass shield completely and it comes down to stealth being "broken".

Like I said from what I see personally anyone who has tried to use ranged in regards to crossbows mainly ends up losing or being forced to swap to melee to be effective in pvp. I have the day off tomorrow so I will do my best to test and help figure out why this is. It just seems like if it was not a problem, people who have tried it would not be forced to drop it and in the end say this is not working.
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/13/2013 03:26 PM CDT
It's damage barriers and damage messaging that is probably clouding the issue. I've had my share of crossbow rants, but if you currently test it against another character without any buffs up, in leather armor, and gauge vitality hit per shot (that's important -- not damage messaging, not limb damage, but only the % of vit they report lost), then it is pretty clear (at least to me) that crossbow is pretty close to on par with non-special metal 2HE in terms of DPS, using draw and slice on the 2HE.

That said, my well/well light crossbow performs as well or better than my slurbows, double-stringed crossbows, and arbalests, in terms of vitality taken per shot. It may be the case that I was capping OF across the board with the person I was shooting at, but when I switched to pulzones, the vitality hit per shot went from an average of 15% to 26%. That made me think I wasn't capping damage afterall, don't understand how it works, heavy crossbows aren't getting the functional boost they are supposed to get, I had a strange streak of results, or all the above.

Special metal 2HE and numerous HT/LT templates seem considerably better to me. This doesn't really concern me because: (1) we don't have craftable bolts or crossbows yet, much less special material bolts/crossbows, so there should be much improvement there (and Kodius has posted some sweet possibilities for ammo), and (2) it's only a matter of time before hax LT/HT, to the extent they exist, are brought into line (remember old HT logs?). The particularly insane thrown weapons I've seen in action have been tyrium, quest, or auction, so that's probably not a good comparison either.

I think there may be some medium edged templates that can be pretty insane DPS-wise with jab/tyrium, but Gort would have to speak to that probably.
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/13/2013 03:51 PM CDT
>> Crossbows are slower because they do X% more damage. Eventually the engagement rewrite will assist with players maintaining distance for a short time, but eventually folks will get to melee. It isn't realistic or balanced for a crossbow user to get off more than 1 or 2 shots before someone closes on them. This is no different from using a TM spell...

I think the biggest issue here, and the one he is hitting at is MAF + Barrier. Look at it like this:

First off, MAF takes 6 connecting shots to break. It's a barrier that when combined with another damage barrier, can absorb pretty much all of the damage from a shot, no matter how ridiculously high. This alone negates crossbow's damage bonus almost entirely.

Secondly, AIM time for ranged weapons is 7 seconds. Loading + aiming together for pretty much every aimable weapon ends up taking 10+ seconds. So, at the very least, assuming no misses(very unlikely) and that your enemy uses no debil or abilities to mess up your shots(very unlikely), it would take over a minute just to break the anti-damage effect of MAF. Realistically, it would take two to three times as long. There is no compromising MAF, but there are many ways to prevent from being hit.

Third, even after waiting for full AIM, bows require a crapton more time invested then melee weapons, and are still less accurate then DRAWing with a weapon. All of that extra time invested into 'attaining higher damage' means nothing when nothing tends to land.

I observed a spar between Zerreck(Xbow prime) and Liurillas that went on for over 20 minutes. Z could not hit L accurately enough to break MAF, with Z having over 100 ranks more Xbow than L's defenses. After pelting him for what seemed like an eternity, and L recasting MAF ?twice? during their fight, he finally managed to break through it and was landing landing decent shots. Before that, he could not do any damage even with full AIMs + L immobilized. I can't comment on how well buffed they were, but they were both trying very hard. I'd assume they used every faculty at their disposal

Besides MAF needing a downtweak in its effectiveness, my suggestion to make bow more viable would be to bump up the accuracy of FIRE slightly, lower their damage ceiling(it is currently higher than 2HE), and reduce AIM time slightly.

Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/13/2013 04:51 PM CDT
Knockdown/pushback bolts and crossbows would also be neat and helpful. Naphtha bolts that hit and splash multiple body parts...
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/13/2013 08:26 PM CDT
>> Yes these need adjusting and it is being worked on. However, damage shields block melee just as much as ranged. If a melee attack does 10 damage, and 3 is blocked, and a bolt does 20 damage, and 6 is blocked, the crossbow should still come out ahead.

The outlier in the discussion is MAF. It blocks a fixed number of shots and operates differently than normal barriers, and it's effect is something of a time equation that scales very unfavorably for heavy weapons. What exactly is its intended effect when every magic-using guild already has a barrier, and that these barriers are, in your own words, "too strong and slated for nerf"?

Point for point in RT, it takes Crossbow MUCH longer to penetrate it, and considering how easy it is to recast, IMO it's a gamebreaker, particularly for Crossbow. In our testing of BB just by itself, Tenacity was reducing capped damage extremely heavy hits to strong/solid, and our testing has shown MAF to be much stronger than Tenacity, point for point.

Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/13/2013 08:40 PM CDT
>> All weapons are balanced to do approximately the same DPS at the same tier/weight, so if we did this we'd also have to reduce their damage bonus.

I don't speak for the bow-wielding consensus(only 600ish Xbow), but I'd certainly be for that.

Also, sorry in advance for the double-post.

Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/13/2013 08:41 PM CDT
Damage barriers -- magical and non -- need a review, not just MAF, imho. Pretty sure that's what Kodius said was already on the radar, wasn't it?
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/14/2013 07:21 AM CDT
The simple solution is to give long RT attacks damage reduction ignoring properties.

Call bolts armor piercing rounds. Since they were specifically designed as such, it makes sense that they would ignore pretty muh anything in front of them.

Pants.
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/14/2013 08:00 AM CDT
Damage reduction isn't built into the core, and would just be another bandaid at this point. I need to spend a few weeks running numbers and then increase hit points, increase damage, and keep damage barriers/armor where they are now so they have effectively no chance of reducing damage to 0.

A funny thought occured to me with regards to MAF. In other RPGs when you have a spell that ablates, folks find a quick and non-damaging method to take it down. Tossing 5 throwing blades, for example. Wouldn't do much damage but it'd take the barrier out quickly. I suppose the problem in DR is the mage can just snap a new one up, rendering the strategy useless.

Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/14/2013 10:56 AM CDT
>> In other RPGs when you have a spell that ablates, folks find a quick and non-damaging method to take it down. Tossing 5 throwing blades, for example.

The problem here is that because of the skill-centered nature of DR, people tend to commit to their specs a lot more. In most other games, you can pick up a good weapon and (assuming it's not class-locked) roll with it. Indeed each weapon should have its pitfalls, though. I just think what amounts to a blade-turn is a bit of an artificial limitation given how our equivalent of 'Mages' and 'Warriors' tend to be clad in the same kinds of armor with approx. the same buffing capacity.

I'd reckon that DR's Mage types are a far-cry from the classical Mage setup, esp. when considering that armor does not limit spell casting. To me, this is one of DR's staples in it's uniqueness, though.

Anyways, good to know you're looking into it. Thanks.

Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/14/2013 02:35 PM CDT
There's also the non-ablatative barrier issue. For my part, I don't think Cage of Light is impressive in straight physical damage reduction, but I believe Tenacity is pretty awesome. Is that Bard Tears one ablative? Anyway, sounds like you have a good plan to check it all out, thanks Kodius.
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/15/2013 01:47 PM CDT
ab·late (-blt)
v. ab·lat·ed, ab·lat·ing, ab·lates
v.tr.
1. Medicine To excise, amputate, or otherwise destroy the biological function of (a body tissue, for example).
2. To remove by erosion, melting, evaporation, or vaporization.

I did not know that.
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/15/2013 02:53 PM CDT
<< All weapons are balanced to do approximately the same DPS at the same tier/weight, so if we did this we'd also have to reduce their damage bonus.

I'm not exactly sure how the weapon tier works into this equation but i have the best of each weapon available i think.

So, i did a quick update in my scripts and ran just a few samples of each. It's nothing conclusive but i think these numbers illustrate the general state crossbow DPS quite well.

EDIT: re-ran tests with quads, i forgot to close my bag that had bolts in it

Target: Misenseor resuscitant

LE:
weapon - haralun stiletto
skill - 550
method - attack, attack, attack ..

Time to kill Swings to kill
24.751415 9
25.282446 10
34.984001 13

LX:
weapon - any other 9 second load
skill - 600
load - 6 seconds
method - full aim

Time to kill Shots to kill Ammo
76.275763 4 bolts
99.135014 5 bolts
102.833224 5 bolts

Time to kill Shots to kill Ammo
96.778108 5 quads
53.760647 3 quads
55.34473800000001 3 quads
54.298677 3 quads

Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/15/2013 07:11 PM CDT
I may have to bump crossbows up a bit more to compensate for the fact you cannot tinker them yet. Quads and crossbows are more like a tier 3 or 4 than a tier 5 haralun stiletto :(

This weekend I hope to do a little more balancing of combat as time allows.

Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/15/2013 08:13 PM CDT
Thanks Kodius.
Re: best way to learn crossbow 05/16/2013 02:18 PM CDT
Thanks, crossbows could use another look.

I don't know anything about all the PVP issues but even DPS-wise, melee seems to pull ahead by quite a large margin. Lets leave weapons aside, 150 ranks less in brawling (not considering melee mastery) seems to pull better numbers than my crossbow. This is pretty much all the weapons i have in my arsenal and i don't know how everything perform overall, so I'll better leave that to the experts to figure out.