Shield use 01/27/2013 03:13 PM CST
Why, exactly, does it require 50 ranks to 'unlock' the use of a shield with a crossbow? What does it really do, that's fun and better for the game? The rank is just low enough that it's not substantial, but does mean anyone training crossbow from the character generator is probably going to hate it, even more than it's already earned.

Note: this is not a plug for Genie or Elanthipedia or Mars Bars.
Re: Shield use 01/27/2013 03:56 PM CST
Since I typically use my shield on my arm with every new character I make, all that restriction does is cause me to backtrain my crossbow once my shield is at 50 because it's not worth the hassle of jugging my shield or getting my butt kicked every time I have to wear it(if I wear it on my shoulder).
Re: Shield use 01/27/2013 08:33 PM CST
Hmm, probably would make more sense to just give the AIM/LOAD penalty to using a shield until you have 50 ranks, just like bows currently have.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Shield use 01/27/2013 08:38 PM CST
> Hmm, probably would make more sense to just give the AIM/LOAD penalty to using a shield until you have 50 ranks, just like bows currently have.

I'd be thrilled with that honestly. Keeps the 'shield perk' concept, but allows trainability for weapons with double or triple the static load time of a 'standard' stick bow.

Note: this is not a plug for Genie or Elanthipedia or Mars Bars.
Re: Shield use 01/28/2013 01:42 AM CST
>>Hmm, probably would make more sense to just give the AIM/LOAD penalty to using a shield until you have 50 ranks, just like bows currently have.

Make it so!

~The Prydaen~
Re: Shield use 01/28/2013 02:30 PM CST
How do I get my shield to work with my bow? The game still seems to require me to remove my buckler from my arm to even use it. Thanks.

If all I had was a rock I would still learn a way to slay you - Zaka
Re: Shield use 01/28/2013 02:45 PM CST
I don't know how it works in DR3, but in DR2 you needed at least 50 ranks of shield to be able to use your bow without removing your shield.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Shield use 01/28/2013 06:52 PM CST

Can't really test it, but the penalty shouldn't even really exist with light crossbows if it does.

The Light is Crimson through the Darkness.
Re: Shield use 01/28/2013 08:38 PM CST
>>Can't really test it, but the penalty shouldn't even really exist with light crossbows if it does.

Wrong penalty. I gather Krooner recently rolled up a new character and he was trying to use his crossbow with an arm worn shield, which gives you the message that you can't load it with a shield on your arm. That message goes away at 50 ranks and after that you can use Crossbows penalty free.
Re: Shield use 01/28/2013 11:01 PM CST

Thanks for that, honestly Its been a long time since I had a new character I forgot what the penatly was.

The Light is Crimson through the Darkness.