Crossbow exp 01/24/2013 10:32 PM CST
Soooo much better, one of the things I was most excited for regarding 3.0, thanks.

- Buuwl
Re: Crossbow exp 01/25/2013 12:45 AM CST
My young bard adores locking his Crossbows. Very pleasant:)
Re: Crossbow exp 01/25/2013 10:44 PM CST
In plat it's locking in like 3 shots. Think there might need to be some tweaking.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 12:04 AM CST
What skill range are you guys talking about? It is most definitely not locking in 3 shots for me in elder dillos. Lock time is indistinguishable from my 2HE, 2HB, and brawling, when I take stealth training out of those melee cycles (brawling might be a shade faster actually). Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I am waiting for full aim most the time and poaching most the time. Forester's LX.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 12:23 AM CST
>>In plat it's locking in like 3 shots. Think there might need to be some tweaking.

The jig is up!

I've been backtraining it and my Crossbow was going from clear to locked in one shot in Snow Goblins, using my walnut arbalest banded with iron straps. I honestly assumed it was a combination of my Crossbow being 40-50 ranks below Snow Goblins(but hitting because of Missile Mastery), my Arbalest taking 18 seconds to load(ranged weapon exp are balanced around load times now, I believe I read Kodius post a couple days ago) and getting devastating and higher hits fully aimed causing a huge shot of exp. If it still does it while at-level then yeah, something is wrong.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 01:49 AM CST
It does not do anything remotely like that at level for me. Are any of you training it at level or is this maybe a missile mastery issue? I don't even kill a creature in three shots, much less come close to locking it. It seems to be like in backtraining situations, you're getting a huge pile of load time exp that you shouldn't or something.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 02:24 AM CST
I'm training it at level, and in Plat I am indeed locking in 2-3 shots. However a few things:

Weapons teritary

Only 59 ranks of Crossbow

I'm loading, full aiming, using brawl/tactics moves as filler, and shooting. 2-3 shots later I've gone from clear to mind locked. Now that could be as intended as I am seriously low in ranks, and I remember training Crossbows on characters with several hundred ranks and you could never lock it. So I'm sure around the 200-300 rank level there will be a noticeable difference in the number of shots to get locked.

~Player of Dorak
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 02:32 AM CST
The 18 second load time is likely throwing things off. How are you getting an 18 second load time? With 40 ranks of crossbow I am seeing 12/13 second load times?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 02:46 AM CST
I don't know where the Arbalest comes from(got it in a Trader shop for 2 plat and it's not listed on Elanthipedia that I can find), but that's just what it's always been. I only just picked it up a couple days after 3.0 because I was looking into training my Crossbow skill since it's not as painful now and it has a decent Paladin look description. I thought it might be the shield when you said I should be getting a lower RT, so I tried it with the shield on the arm, shoulders, and not wearing it at all. It's being loaded from a soft snowbeast pelt thigh quiver clasped with a curved ivory tooth from the Chris Mass festival with plain old Crossing storebought bolts.

> skill cross

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate fraction
Crossbow: 85 29.54% clear (0/34)

Time Development Points: 176 Favors: 15 Deaths: 7 Departs: 3
Overall state of mind: clear
EXP HELP for more information

> get arb

You get a walnut arbalest banded with iron straps from inside your rucksack.
>
> load

You reach into your quiver to load the walnut arbalest with a crossbow bolt.
Roundtime 18 sec.
R> unload arb

You unload the arbalest.
Roundtime: 6 seconds.
R> stow bolt

You put your bolt in your pelt quiver.
> rem shield

You loosen the straps securing your tower shield and remove it.
> put arb in ruck

You put your arbalest in your rucksack.
> adjust shield
You adjust the straps of your shield, lengthening them so that it can be worn across your shoulder.
>
> wear shield

You sling a steel tower shield over your shoulder.
> get arb

You get a walnut arbalest banded with iron straps from inside your rucksack.
> load

Roundtime 18 sec.
R> unload

You unload the arbalest.
Roundtime: 6 seconds.
R> stow bolt

You put your bolt in your pelt quiver.
> rem shield

You sling a steel tower shield off from over your shoulder, placing it in your left hand.
> drop shield

You drop a steel tower shield.

> guard shield
You move into position to guard a steel tower shield.
> load

Roundtime 18 sec.
R>
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 07:40 AM CST
> The 18 second load time is likely throwing things off. How are you getting an 18 second load time? With 40 ranks of crossbow I am seeing 12/13 second load times?

He's using an arbalest. They're all 18 second weapons. Searching epedia for 'arbalest' should return a few results, but I also think Theren's weapon shop sells them.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 11:08 AM CST
Yeah I guess the model we GMs have for an arbalest isn't quite as bad. I think all-around they could use a RT reduction, but unfortunately it is sold ON the item, making a global-change impossible.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 12:33 PM CST
I don't know if this will help, but I seem to remember seeing arbalests sold in Theren Keep. And yes, those do have wicked RT's!

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 12:46 PM CST
Arbalests are indeed sold in Theren, but I thought the RT was more like 21 seconds. I'll see about getting up that way today because I wanted to pick one up anyways.

~Player of Dorak
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 01:19 PM CST
>Arbalests are indeed sold in Theren, but I thought the RT was more like 21 seconds.

Loading from hidding it's 21 before any reductions. I find a regular HX is more accurate though, it's an aweful long time to wait just to miss. I tested it before 3.0, so it might be out of date.

It would be nice if these plus-size weapons (like staff sling and arbelasts) could fire into adject rooms or off of battlements. It is a seige arbelest after all.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 01:49 PM CST
>It would be nice if these plus-size weapons (like staff sling and arbelasts) could fire into adject rooms or off of battlements. It is a seige arbelest after all.

I'm overall for different advantages/disadvantages for each weapon category (I see categories of weapons being things like arbelast, hx, lx, le, me, not the whole skill that governs their use).

Though Historically Longbows were volley/long range weapons, to me staff slings should have some type of parry bonus, and arbelests should be something like anti-tank/big game hunters. Just suggestions, not sure how that would work mechanically.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 02:13 PM CST
<<to me staff slings should have some type of parry bonus>>

They do. It is called the ability to parry while holding it.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 05:39 PM CST
>>I find a regular HX is more accurate though, it's an aweful long time to wait just to miss.

I'm not using it to actually hunt. Just to train. It's impossible to beat this when you're just trying to train. Although I plan on replacing my Arbalest with the Prison Riot: Aftermath heavy repeater from scrips if I can get a hold of enough, whether it still trains like that or not. I also imagine using it on mobs so far above my actual ranks because of Missile Mastery and backtraining is giving me more exp than it should(assuming, of course, mobs with defenses so much higher than your offense gives a bonus to exp, like defenses lower than your offenses gives a penalty), since people hunting at level aren't having that kind of exp gains.

And Kodius, if you're still monitoring this thread, is this kosher or would it be considered bug abuse? I know nothing about the inner workings of the system and what is supposed to happen and what isn't - especially since 3.0 came out just as I was relearning the old systems from an absence - and from what I gather from your previous response the long load times are messing up the exp formula and I would rather take five minutes to lock my Crossbow with a regular crossbow than get pulled aside by a GM and accused of abusing a bug.

R> aim
You begin to target a mutant togball.
>
> skill cross

Crossbow: 86 11.19% clear (0/34)

Time Development Points: 186 Favors: 15 Deaths: 7 Departs: 3

>
* Moving well, a mutant togball slices wide at you. You barely fail to block with tower shield.
The fist lands a light hit (1/22) to your chest.
[You're bruised, solidly balanced with no advantage.]
>
* A mutant togball swings at you. You barely block with a steel tower shield.
>
* Moving poorly, a mutant togball swings at you. You barely block with a steel tower shield.
>
You think you have your best shot possible now.
>
* A mutant togball bites at you. You barely block with a steel tower shield.
> fire

< Attacking forcefully, you fire a crossbow bolt at a mutant togball. A mutant togball attempts to evade.
The bolt lands a very heavy hit (8/22) that pokes it in a slash from behind.

The crossbow bolt lodges itself shallowly into the mutant togball!
[Roundtime 1 sec.]
>
> skill cross

Crossbow: 86 11.19% rapt (30/34)

Time Development Points: 186 Favors: 15 Deaths: 7 Departs: 3
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 06:35 PM CST
Sorry for the double post, but since there's a shop right outside of Togballs that sells a plain old regular heavy crossbow I went and tried it with a non-arbalest and got similar results, though not as extreme(only jumping up 13 mind states instead of 30). Which would put me on pace to go from clear to locked in three fully aimed shots instead of two(well, one and 1/4).

You sling a heavy crossbow off from over your shoulder.
> skill cross

Crossbow: 86 53.40% pondering (7/34)

Time Development Points: 190 Favors: 15 Deaths: 7 Departs: 3

> aim
You begin to target a mutant togball.
>
The mutant togball closes to melee range on you!
>
* Moving as one fluid extension of power, a mutant togball swings at you. You fail to block with a steel tower shield.
The fist lands a light hit (1/22) to your head.
>
You think you have your best shot possible now.
> fire

< Moving fluidly, you fire a crossbow bolt at a mutant togball. A mutant togball attempts to evade.
The bolt lands a strong hit (6/22) to the togball's left leg.

The crossbow bolt lodges itself shallowly into the mutant togball!
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

R>
You feel fully rested.
>
* Moving in gracefully, a mutant togball bites at you. You barely fail to block with tower shield.
The teeth lands a harmless blow to your right leg.
>
> skill cross

Crossbow: 86 53.40% focused (20/34)

Time Development Points: 190 Favors: 15 Deaths: 7 Departs: 3
Re: Crossbow exp 01/26/2013 07:01 PM CST
i'm pretty sure load, aim time come into play when calculating crossbow experience now from what I've seen. I think some of this might be pretty excessive but I'm liking it in the backtrain sense. I hope if it gets toned down it doesn't get toned down to much.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/27/2013 02:31 AM CST
>> I also imagine using it on mobs so far above my actual ranks because of Missile Mastery and backtraining is giving me more exp than it should(assuming, of course, mobs with defenses so much higher than your offense gives a bonus to exp,

This is what you're seeing. I can lock my sub-100 weapons in only a couple minutes by attacking critters using mastery ranks instead of base ranks. it's not exclusive to crossbow.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 06:20 AM CST
<< My young bard adores locking his Crossbows. Very pleasant:)

The exp gain is nice and all but it seems to come with a price. The 3.0 has been out for a little while now, with all the tweaks and fixes starting to settle down but i don't know if it is just me who is noticing the lack of raw power in crossbows for what they once used to be known for? You may lock in 3 shots but it takes 8 shots to take down your enemy.

It probably takes words from a worthier combatant than me to say this but are crossbows even worth the trouble anymore? From the looks of it, it might be a better idea to just swing away using the heaviest blade you can find and get the job done much quicker.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 09:01 AM CST
Assuming you are just using one non-repeating crossbow, no, the dps will not match up to 2HE. Nothing will though. For my part, I still very much think crossbow is worth the work. Like many weapons in 3.0, you will see gains in performance tied to your stats. Strength matters now.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 09:59 AM CST
>>Assuming you are just using one non-repeating crossbow, no, the dps will not match up to 2HE.

As it should be. You're bypassing parry and engagement distances when using a crossbow vs a 2HE. If they did the same damage there wouldn't be any point in using the sword. As it is now there's benefit in both weapons.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 10:25 AM CST
>>As it should be. You're bypassing parry and engagement distances when using a crossbow vs a 2HE. If they did the same damage there wouldn't be any point in using the sword. As it is now there's benefit in both weapons.

Wrote a long post addressing my thoughts but after re reading this, I think it more or less sums up everything very nicely. Each weapon in 3.0 seems to have a better place in the 'meta'. There are no more 'best' weapons. Light Weapons are easy to pick up and use, deal great damage against low damage mitigation targets. Heavier weapons require more specialized stats and are generally pretty poorly balanced, but deal better with high mitigation targets. Ranged seems balanced the same between low and high rt weapon types, but as a whole ranged does not seem to be as potent as it was in 2.0 where it made melee irrelevant.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 10:35 AM CST
<<as it should be>>

I agree.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 11:44 AM CST
<< You're bypassing parry and engagement distances when using a crossbow vs a 2HE.

I have not yet experimented with any PVP combat myself and i don't even know exactly, can you still keep retreating away as much as you like? I kind of remember hearing something about tactics working against that vs athletics or something?

But if that is not the case and you literally mean vs 2HE then it still sounds like maybe you can pull off one shot and parry or not, you end up with a 2HE in your face, which is going to hurt a lot more than your bolt did. Either that or better yet, i'm sure you're going to run into someone who is clever enough to come at you with a HE and a shield, which i'm sure is just as effective against ranged attacks as parry is for melee.

Or well.. i'm just theorycrafting here, will find out soon enough.

<<as it should be
I would agree but it still looks like crossbow will be the cowardly weapon of choice when you're just hiding it out. I think the lacking damage just doesn't address the real issue here.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 12:24 PM CST
>>I have not yet experimented with any PVP combat myself and i don't even know exactly, can you still keep retreating away as much as you like? I kind of remember hearing something about tactics working against that vs athletics or something?

I'm not sure what happened with the plans for the new engagement system TBH, perhaps they're waiting until after a hangback rewrite.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 12:40 PM CST
>>I have not yet experimented with any PVP combat myself and i don't even know exactly, can you still keep retreating away as much as you like? I kind of remember hearing something about tactics working against that vs athletics or something?

To clarify, the reworked engagement system was not included in the 3.0 release, BUT infinite retreating has been partially kiboshed through a stacking offensive penalty per retreat and a few seconds after ranged/spell attacks where you can't leave the room.

Basically you can still do the non-stop-retreat thing to keep yourself from being hit but you wont be able to use it to keep picking away with ranged attacks while your opponent tries to get to melee.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 12:44 PM CST
> infinite retreating has been partially kiboshed through a stacking offensive penalty per retreat

I remember seeing this in Test, and it showed up when you assessed. I just tried, though, and I'm not seeing it. So either the penalty isn't working, or it's just not showing up in assess. Or maybe it's only when you retreat from PCs?
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 12:49 PM CST
>>I remember seeing this in Test, and it showed up when you assessed. I just tried, though, and I'm not seeing it. So either the penalty isn't working, or it's just not showing up in assess. Or maybe it's only when you retreat from PCs?

Still happening to me, how long did you wait before assessing?

The musk hog closes to melee range on you!
>
>ret
You retreat back to pole range.
>ret
You retreat from combat.
>ass
You assess your combat situation...

You (solidly balanced) are facing a musk hog (2) at missile range.
A musk hog (1: slightly off balance) is flanking you at missile range.
A musk hog (2: nimbly balanced) is facing you at missile range.

(You are also defending against a musk hog.)
You appear to be having difficulty targeting melee and ranged attacks.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 01:38 PM CST

It may vary from creature to creature. I happen to be hunting something right now that dies far faster to my HX than to my HE.

I had thought I was going to give up on HX- and was planning on doing that unless the EXP model was fixed in 3.0- well glory be it is fixed- HX is working fine for me now- I can learn it- and it hits hard.

Now the only question is about damage and ammo. Are player made bolts the equivelant of player made arrows now?
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 01:39 PM CST
>>It may vary from creature to creature

I hope not, I outclass hogs by a lot.

>>Now the only question is about damage and ammo. Are player made bolts the equivelant of player made arrows now?

Players can't make bolts yet.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 02:04 PM CST
> Still happening to me, how long did you wait before assessing?

No time at all.

>retr
ass

You retreat from combat.

You assess your combat situation...

You (solidly balanced) are facing an asaren celpeze (2) at missile range.
An asaren celpeze (1: very badly balanced) is flanking you at missile range.
An asaren celpeze (2: nimbly balanced) is facing you at missile range.

(You are also defending against an asaren celpeze.)
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 02:12 PM CST
The retreat penalty is showing up in my assess too.
Re: Crossbow exp 01/30/2013 02:16 PM CST
Turns out you only get a penalty for moving from melee to pole. You can move from pole to missile all day and be fine.
Re: Crossbow exp 02/02/2013 01:01 PM CST
I just tested and appear to get the proper penalty from retreating in any set of circumstances. Might be some odd bug here, so let me know what you see in practice please.