Ideal Crossbow Training 08/05/2012 03:36 AM CDT
Light Crossbow: 53 09.25% mind lock (34/34)

Time to mind lock using a stonebow and a diamondique stone shard is 7 minutes 52 seconds, and that was when I ran out of targets a couple times and had to spend ~15 seconds looking for new ones.
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/17/2012 07:57 PM CDT

Anyone have any idea how to get to mind lock using a heavy crossbow? I can shoot it for an hour before it gets locked, way too long. I have other weapons at the same rank that get locked out in a matter of minutes, but like i said, when I use HX.. its like it will never get locked.
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/17/2012 09:12 PM CDT

There is no way, welcome to the suck.
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/18/2012 05:40 AM CDT
>>There is no way, welcome to the suck.

To be clear, this comment is not being overly facetious. Training crossbow really is that rough, and an hour to lock it is about right. I can get it down to about 45min if I try REAL hard and don't do anything but pick up spent ammo (like skin, HUNT, appraise, etc).

~The Prydaen~
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/18/2012 07:18 AM CDT
hmm I think I normally would be locked at 20 minutes.

- Are you underhunting? Whats your HX ranks and what critter are you facing?
- What ammo are you using? Quads make a big difference more so at lower ranks, Frog crotch bolts are good too. You need to make every hit a max damage hit.
- Getting a reduced load HX is a must, the dragon one from the museum is good enough. It get's better with each RT reduction you get from ranks.
- I use aim/hide/poach
- find your sweet spot on aim time and don't go over it, if you don't have to full aim to get great hits don't
- Make sure you pick a hunting ground where you don't have to wait for another critter, that exasporates the issue with them alot.
- Don't do any actions that take time inbetween shots, everything you need to do while using HX can be done within your AIM time window.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/18/2012 07:49 AM CDT
Question about the museum reduced load: what's the total end load time? Does the reduction replace the skill based ones? Does the quiver reduction add?

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/18/2012 08:01 AM CDT
>>Question about the museum reduced load: what's the total end load time? Does the reduction replace the skill based ones? Does the quiver reduction add?

It's all cumulative.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/18/2012 05:39 PM CDT

I am hunting beisswurms and my HX is 62 ranks.
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/18/2012 06:58 PM CDT
>I am hunting beisswurms and my HX is 62 ranks.

Beisswurms teach weapons...poorly. And they hardcap weapons at 70 or so ranks.

I found it got a LOT better when I went to blood wolves with 85-90 or so LX (I use a stonebow+carved ammo for training. Seriously). It is however, not my primary weapon, it's more third string behind Brawling/LE/ME and LT. Thief, I use Khri Steady or it sucks (mainly because I'd miss or get grazing shots, Khri Steady lets me get good/strong/hard hits).

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/18/2012 10:47 PM CDT
Using Eagle Dance, a stonebow, and diamondique sling ammo, I can lock LX in about ~9 minutes at 190 ranks. Nothing else even comes close.
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/19/2012 02:51 AM CDT
>>Using Eagle Dance, a stonebow, and diamondique sling ammo, I can lock LX in about ~9 minutes at 190 ranks. Nothing else even comes close.

It must get better later on. Using a Forester's Crossbow and quads, I was not able to do better than 45min to ML at 50ish ranks vs. sand sprites. Dancing eagle. Poaching was not an option because that particular character doesn't hide ever, so I couldn't if I wanted to. I'd hate to think that just poaching would make the difference between 9 minutes and 45 though. A stonebow with diamonique ammo was noticeably slower. Granted this is LX rather than. HX, but still...

~The Prydaen~
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/19/2012 06:11 AM CDT
>Using Eagle Dance, a stonebow, and diamondique sling ammo,

>It must get better later on. Using a Forester's Crossbow and quads,

Well, he's using a stonebow, which has a 5/6 load, along with capped carved sling ammo, so he's getting off twice as many shots per unit time. Especially is he already has an RT reduction.

Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/19/2012 12:16 PM CDT
>> It must get better later on. Using a Forester's Crossbow and quads, I was not able to do better than 45min to ML at 50ish ranks vs. sand sprites. Dancing eagle. Poaching was not an option because that particular character doesn't hide ever, so I couldn't if I wanted to. I'd hate to think that just poaching would make the difference between 9 minutes and 45 though. A stonebow with diamonique ammo was noticeably slower. Granted this is LX rather than. HX, but still...

Stonebow benefits more from mid-underhunting - it's capable of big damage but not as big overall as quads(missing stat). So to maximize potential you aim at the low to mid range(where damage is high and aim time is nix or minimal). And you win from the major RT reduction

There's a sweet spot you gotta find, basically.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/20/2012 01:19 AM CDT
>>Stonebow benefits more from mid-underhunting - it's capable of big damage but not as big overall as quads(missing stat). So to maximize potential you aim at the low to mid range(where damage is high and aim time is nix or minimal). And you win from the major RT reduction

That's more or less what I was assuming must be the case, based on our two experiences. Thanks for clarifying/confirming.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/20/2012 03:26 AM CDT
Gorteous basically has it on the nose. Finding the sweet spot where you can land vicious/massive/apocalyptic hits while still being a challenging critter is the key with the stonebow, though it's well worth the trouble, as it will literally cut your time to ML in half vs. using quads and a reduced load xbow.
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/24/2012 12:54 PM CDT

Stonebow really doesn't apply to the HX scenario though. Training for HX just sucks. No other weapon I train with trains as slow. And I do everything I can think of maximize it- reduced load time HX, cleric offensive commune, superior ammo.

Seriously- if you have only 62 ranks- dump HX and focus on anything else- HT or LX come to mind.
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/24/2012 01:36 PM CDT
Stonebow really doesn't apply to the HX scenario yet though.

FTFY.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/24/2012 02:13 PM CDT
>> Seriously- if you have only 62 ranks- dump HX and focus on anything else- HT or LX come to mind.

+1

If you go thrown, I'd recommend LT over HT. Blades are incomparable in quality to other thrown weapons in their current form - this may change, though. (they were talking an HT version of throwing blades)

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/24/2012 02:16 PM CDT
Keep in mind that HX and LX are combining in 3.0, so it might be to your benefit to train what you feel teaches more "effectively," even though it might not be the class of weapon you really want to use pre-combine.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/24/2012 03:05 PM CDT
>> Keep in mind that HX and LX are combining in 3.0, so it might be to your benefit to train what you feel teaches more "effectively," even though it might not be the class of weapon you really want to use pre-combine.

I don't think there's any argument that HX doesn't universally suck - the load times are absurd even by crossbow standards, the damage isn't really any better than LX since ammo is the primary factor, and it's much harder to train even with all the hax. Quite easily the worst weapon type in the game, all things considered especially with the new forging system.

Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/24/2012 03:17 PM CDT
My point was that if someone really wants to use HX for RP purposes, once 3.0 rolls in they could always use LX for training purposes and HX for RP purposes.

Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/24/2012 03:42 PM CDT
So for any of you Plat players who are testing 3.0: How's crossbow training in 3.0 so far? Is it manageable finally?
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/24/2012 03:58 PM CDT
>>So for any of you Plat players who are testing 3.0: How's crossbow training in 3.0 so far? Is it manageable finally?

I'm not able to speak for crossbow users, but I can hit 34/34 in sling rather reliably now. That was just flat out not happening in 2.0.

Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/24/2012 05:11 PM CDT
No direct experience with it, what I've heard is that it moves on par with other ranged.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/24/2012 06:19 PM CDT
I wonder if there won't be people running around with multiple weapons of a type once 3.0 hits. A short bow for training bows and a comp or long bow for doing damage. A stone bow for training crossbows and a arbelest for damage. Will that be more efficient? Or will the training become more efficient for those things with long load times like the arbalest versus stonebow?

"Sometimes I have parties at my house in Nashville and it's clothing-optional, and we just body-paint each other and run around." -Ke$ha
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/24/2012 08:41 PM CDT
I suspect the former, that the varied templates will be specialized for things, rather than 'everything will train awesome!'.

Sort of like how LE and ME will both be 'light edges' weapons in DR3, but both retain different functions and specialties and backstab stuff.

Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/25/2012 10:01 AM CDT
>>I wonder if there won't be people running around with multiple weapons of a type once 3.0 hits.

I know that I will be. Will use a Nisha bow to train, and probably use a hunter's longbow for PvP.
Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/25/2012 04:44 PM CDT
>> I know that I will be. Will use a Nisha bow to train, and probably use a hunter's longbow for PvP.

It might not be that straightforward - didn't they say damage was going to be the primary factor in experience gain? If you weren't capping or almost capping every shot regardless of what bow you use(which is standard nowadays), damage might end up higher on the priority list - we're still basing our models on 2.0 where speed + moderate damage end up being much more efficient than slower, high end damage.

If bows end up working similar to how blades/blunts are supposed to, high damage hits might teach better. Or it could be the opposite, where dps is tilted in favor of faster weapons. From what I've been told, you get hit a LOT more in 3.0 - and 90% of those hits end up are like, good/solid until your vitality drops below a certain point.

So who knows.

Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/25/2012 04:57 PM CDT
>>It might not be that straightforward - didn't they say damage was going to be the primary factor in experience gain?

IIRC, exp is based on how long it takes you to do X mixed with how well you do it. In other words, 5 hits with a 2 second weapon teaches similar to 1 hit with a 10 second weapon.

>>From what I've been told, you get hit a LOT more in 3.0 - and 90% of those hits end up are like, good/solid until your vitality drops below a certain point.

It's generally light hits for me when hits do land. You do get hit more often, but it isn't really a "OH GOD I GOT HIT TIME TO RUN" situation in 3.0

Re: Ideal Crossbow Training 10/25/2012 04:58 PM CDT

I hope 3.0 solves the HX issue- well it will if nothing else because I can switch to LX though that wouldn't be my preference.

How bad is HX right now? I Mindlocked HE faster last night just by parrying than I do using HX - with reduced loads, Museum HX, cleric offensive commune. I have found a creature which teaches Flavius better HX than anything else recently- but oh so painfully slow even so.