Autostancing parry for ranged weapons/ammo in right hand 01/23/2017 04:51 PM CST

Can this please be a thing? Autostancing out of parry occurs when you are the target of a ranged attack, but not when you're holding a weapon that cannot be parried with.

If you're wearing a parry stick, but holding a ranged weapon or ammo in your right hand, the game treats it as if you're parrying with a weapon that has 0 capability of parrying, effectively nulling out whatever percentage of parry you're stanced into.
So if you're 100% parry stanced, 40/40 shield/evade, you're basically gimping yourself to below half of your combat defenses when you're holding these weapons that can't parry. It's definitely gotten me killed before by creatures that otherwise can't ever touch me, and it's just nuts that you can go from 100% to 0 vit in literally two seconds because the game doesn't autostance this scenario like it does ranged attacks.

If this can't be done, can someone at least explain why? I feel like the code is already in the game, and would be easy to apply to this scenario. I guess if you had to do it for each and every ammo/ranged weapon type that's probably not going to happen, but it just seems like if you were holding some weapon with no parry ability it would at LEAST default to the parry stick on your arm. I mean come on!
Re: Autostancing parry for ranged weapons/ammo in right hand 01/23/2017 05:24 PM CST
This was supposed to be changed to buff shield or evasion I forget which it is, if parry cannot be utilized. Therefor if you are stanced to parry and cannot use it, shield would be used instead, though I thought it was only at 50%. I can't remember exactly how it was implemented after 3.1 and didn't see much information on it when I looked just now. I personally always just switch my stances out of parry presets so haven't really thought about it, even in my "parry" stance I only roll with 20 points into parry. It trains fine that way though and your still utilizing most of your points in shield.
Re: Autostancing parry for ranged weapons/ammo in right hand 01/24/2017 03:48 PM CST
<< I personally always just switch my stances

All it does is make life a little bit easier and save people the trouble of switching between stances all the time.

"Parry stance points will now automatically re-allocate themselves into shield skill if parry skill would normally be bypassed (generally ranged/TM attacks)." -- Kodius

Technically parry skill is being bypassed when you're not holding a melee weapons? This looks like a bug!
Re: Autostancing parry for ranged weapons/ammo in right hand 01/24/2017 04:00 PM CST
> All it does is make life a little bit easier and save people the trouble of switching between stances all the time.

Keep in mind that autostancing isn't reallocating at a 1-1 rate; you're taking a penalty when it happens. So even if autostancing were working here, you'd still be better off manually switching stances.
Re: Autostancing parry for ranged weapons/ammo in right hand 01/24/2017 04:20 PM CST
> Technically parry skill is being bypassed when you're not holding a melee weapons? This looks like a bug!

Auto stance swapping was only intended to take effect when the attack itself is inherently un-parryable. If it's a normally parryable attack and you simply don't have anything to parry with (no weapon/parry stick, holding a ranged weapon, etc.) then auto-stance doesn't activate. The reverse is also true if you stance shield without equipping a shield.

Not to say it wouldn't be handy if auto-stance could be extended to affect these situations, but that's why you're seeing it play out this way.