Prev_page Previous 1
Damage sponges 12/12/2015 03:06 PM CST
Right now PvP combat at-level or even where one person is clearly outclassed feels like a couple of people in fat sumo suits slapping at each other. It takes an age even when it's clear one person is going to win eventually and it is incredibly easy to simply retreat and run away. While I am very glad the one-hit-kill thing is gone, we have swung way too far in the other direction and this isn't fun or interesting, just tedious.

If we're going to keep this whole damage-sponge-thing going can disablers either last twice as long to prevent running away so easily OR could we get a maneuver put in to prevent retreating? Base it on Tactics, have it be usable at pole range for most people and missile for Barbarians and based on Expertise instead.

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: Damage sponges 12/12/2015 04:52 PM CST
What's the 'win' scenario in PVP and why?

Your search-fu is pig dung!
Re: Damage sponges 12/12/2015 10:33 PM CST
>>...it is incredibly easy to simply retreat and run away.

There is already a way to prevent this with the Tactics skill.
Re: Damage sponges 12/13/2015 12:20 AM CST
>>If we're going to keep this whole damage-sponge-thing going can disablers either last twice as long to prevent running away so easily OR could we get a maneuver put in to prevent retreating? Base it on Tactics, have it be usable at pole range for most people and missile for Barbarians and based on Expertise instead.

IIRC, Kodius already said that he was considering putting a system that made it more difficult to retreat based on how much you had attempted to do in a PvP combat. I'm not sure whether that ever made it into the "planned" status, though.

- Saragos
Re: Damage sponges 12/13/2015 05:52 AM CST
>>IIRC, Kodius already said that he was considering putting a system that made it more difficult to retreat based on how much you had attempted to do in a PvP combat. I'm not sure whether that ever made it into the "planned" status, though.<<

Hopefully not. PvP needs more of a player skill component to be interesting and pinning people down / being evasive is a big part of that.

I think damage just needs to go up across the board so that putting your opponent at a momentary disadvantage matters more. The barrier review should help.

Mazrian
Re: Damage sponges 12/13/2015 06:07 AM CST
Presently, all the player skill in the world won't change the fact that a flawlessly executed ambush can be completely negated by the person typing retreat twice and spamming a direction unless they are extremely outclassed, to the tune of hundreds of ranks of disparity. Doing more damage to people would help -- the barrier review is big part of that but far from the whole picture. Disablers lasting longer would help -- I can't even get a single TM spell off by the time my disablers wear off even if I utterly dominate the contest and pump as much mana as I can into the spells. And this is against people with 20 circles and over a hundred ranks of deficit compared to me.

It's just not possible to pin people down right now and there needs to be something to balance the situation out. Being able to tactically use maneuvers to lock someone down for a short time and prevent them from just running away once you've successfully gotten to melee once, even if that maneuver puts you at some other kind of disadvantage (such as a defensive debuff), would be a huge boon. And player skill still comes into play there; do I want to be stuck at melee with this person? Maybe it's a Barbarian and I just did them a huge solid. Maybe the debuff I gave myself was just enough to let them start wailing on me.

I think it'd open up a lot of interesting options.

Thayet
Re: Damage sponges 12/13/2015 06:55 AM CST
>>Being able to tactically use maneuvers to lock someone down for a short time and prevent them from just running away once you've successfully gotten to melee once, even if that maneuver puts you at some other kind of disadvantage (such as a defensive debuff), would be a huge boon.<<

This is what GRAPPLE does, more or less. Advance, disable them so they can't get away while you get to melee, grapple them, then pile on damage until they die. If you outclass them a little and you have the Tactics it'll work.

>>Disablers lasting longer would help -- I can't even get a single TM spell off by the time my disablers wear off even if I utterly dominate the contest and pump as much mana as I can into the spells. And this is against people with 20 circles and over a hundred ranks of deficit compared to me.<<

If you get the highest end success on a single target disable you should have ~25 seconds minus your RT. If you don't have enough time to get a TM spell off you're not winning the contest by as much as you think.

>>Presently, all the player skill in the world won't change the fact that a flawlessly executed ambush can be completely negated by the person typing retreat twice and spamming a direction unless they are extremely outclassed, to the tune of hundreds of ranks of disparity.<<

Not to be snarky, but if your ambush plan didn't take into account something like "I can't hurt this person much before they run away" then it wasn't a great plan and you might have been better off going with something else. =P

Mazrian
Re: Damage sponges 12/13/2015 11:39 AM CST
>>This is what GRAPPLE does, more or less. Advance, disable them so they can't get away while you get to melee, grapple them, then pile on damage until they die. If you outclass them a little and you have the Tactics it'll work.

This. Knock someone off their feet and grapple them and there isn't much they can do to get away. The Tactics skill is one of the most important PvP skills IMO. It is very possible to keep someone from running currently in the game if you know what you are doing.

I was going to paste more of what Mazrian posted but I'll just go ahead and say I agree with everything he said. If you can't kill someone that you should be able to then the problem is with your PvP tactics, and not the system.
Re: Damage sponges 12/13/2015 11:57 AM CST
>>Disablers lasting longer would help -- I can't even get a single TM spell off by the time my disablers wear off even if I utterly dominate the contest and pump as much mana as I can into the spells. And this is against people with 20 circles and over a hundred ranks of deficit compared to me.

Just want to add that neither circle nor rank difference matters when it comes to debilitation. They are all stat contests, which again have nothing to do with circle or rank. At best you may have a TDP advantage over them (but that's not even guaranteed) and it all depends how both of your stats are allocated.
Re: Damage sponges 12/13/2015 12:04 PM CST
I don't think its to bad currently. Some at level combat can take quite a while but as far as ambushing, some guilds just have it a lot better than others.
Re: Damage sponges 12/13/2015 12:06 PM CST
When it comes to ambushing, there SHOULD be guilds that have it better. For some of them it's a call sign.

What it sounds like is people whining because they didn't or haven't trained enough past what, in their eyes, is good enough. Like "I feel like I should be able to do X or Y by now, or be able to fight Z. And when they can't, or don't, or die trying, they get miffed.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Damage sponges 12/13/2015 01:02 PM CST
<What it sounds like is people whining because they didn't or haven't trained enough past what, in their eyes, is good enough. Like "I feel like I should be able to do X or Y by now, or be able to fight Z. And when they can't, or don't, or die trying, they get miffed.

Yes, and also some people just don't know how to properly use tools available to them. Most guilds that aren't that successful ambushing and laying a good deal of damage down right at the start, are better at mitigating damage other ways and work better as a long fight style. For instance, moon mage isn't that good at putting down a ton of damage right away, but they have tools that help situations that do, like WD, Contigency and RF. Bards a more defensive style of play, paladins tank and spank. Clerics are just good both ways. Not saying people don't know how to play necessarily but, more likely people don't like to play the way that plays to guild strengths. I for one don't like using WD or contingency during most fights, but they do work when needed in situations. Honestly I pvp a lot but never really run into people that run over and over unless its in an tournament type setting, in that case its the norm.
Re: Damage sponges 12/13/2015 02:43 PM CST
>> Not saying people don't know how to play necessarily but, more likely people don't like to play the way that plays to guild strengths.

I agree with this. PvP right now is all about playing to your guild's strengths and the more you take advantage of the tools that you have, and learn to put yourself into a situation where you have the advantage, the better you will do. If you want to take some off-beat path for your guild in PvP, and you aren't successful, then you have nobody but yourself to blame.

Kodius has written a very robust combat system that has a ton of tools for everyone. It could use some polishing but as it stands right now if you use all the tools available to you PvP isn't that bad, and definitely not as impossible as the OP is making it sound like.
Re: Damage sponges 12/13/2015 04:36 PM CST
>> Just want to add that neither circle nor rank difference matters when it comes to debilitation.

Let me clarify since I was tired and pretty unclear when I wrote that -- I know how disablers work, I'm saying even when succeeding well at the contest with people it's not helping very much despite also having the advantage of stats and ranks because the amount of damage you can put out in that period of time is very trivial now.

I feel like landing a not small number of extremely heavy+ hits should result in at least a stun and a decent bleeder, you know? To rephrase: how much damage should disablers enable the output of? How should a fight between a person with 200 combats vs. 350 go? I didn't like the one-hit model, but I feel like it's frankly swung too far in the other direction and people are soaking up far more damage than they should probably be able to.

And I've felt this was true on the receiving end, incidentally. I've survived encounters I had no business surviving without so much as a bleeder from people who I know severely outclass me. That seems wrong too.

Thayet
Re: Damage sponges 12/14/2015 06:18 AM CST
Insta-retreat in the context of PvP in particular is dumb. I think everyone would agree that it would be nice if engagement, retreat, and hang back got a review/retweak.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Damage sponges 12/14/2015 08:43 AM CST
Not really, no.

Mazrian
Re: Damage sponges 12/14/2015 08:59 PM CST
insta-retreat is broken, more importantly so is grapple, there are about 10 ways to break grapple that are probably mech abuse but for anyone who's ever pvp'd they could list em out. It is what it is. Dragonrealms is poorly designed for pvp and anyone who claims different hasn't tried it.

If you don't far outclass someone it is literally impossible to kill another person unless 1. they don't know what they are doing, 2. are extremely drunk.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Damage sponges 12/15/2015 06:07 AM CST
>>If you don't far outclass someone it is literally impossible to kill another person unless 1. they don't know what they are doing, 2. are extremely drunk.

Gonna prove you wrong when you're not drunk.
Re: Damage sponges 12/15/2015 04:30 PM CST
PvP is slow, and yes, the barrier review should help. (Just try sparring with someone with no barriers up.) Having to rely on player skill as much as skill ranks is fun, but it's also a little too much hit-and-run right now for my taste, and instant-retreat is silly in a system where engagement is far from instant.

Also, let's not pretend grapple is best answer here. I mean, let's see how easy it is to break a grapple with a 150 circle and over 1k rank disparity and no special guild abilities or spells...

Warbrolus grabs hold of you in a tight grip. You grip back.
[You're winded, solidly balanced with no advantage.]
> flee
You can't do that while grappled.
You realize you're out of your element! You attempt to take the familiar way out by bolting north!
>
You flee like a sniveling barbarian confronted by a powerful mage!

[Obsidian Pass, Mountain Trail]
Cracks in the sides of the pass ooze a darkness flatter than the glassy black of the smoothed walls. The silence here is disturbing.
You also see a thin silverwood branch stripped of its leaves dangling out over the chasm.
Obvious paths: northeast, south.

>
Mapped exits: climb branch with rope

s
ret
You go south.

[Obsidian Pass, Chasm's Ridge]
The mountain trail comes to an abrupt end at the edge of a massive chasm with sheer walls that fall down into darkness. Twin thick cables of some indiscernable substance hang over the chasm, tied off on this end to a rickety platform that looks about as stable as a faenrae reaver on samatak.
Also here: Pack Protector Warbrolus who is shining with a dark golden glow.
Obvious paths: north.

>
Mapped exits: climb rickety platform

Wouldn't it be better if you used a melee weapon?
You are unable to break Warbrolus's grip and can't retreat!
> ret
You are already as far away as you can get!
> grapp warb
You reach out toward Warbrolus but are unable to make contact.
[You're fatigued, badly balanced with opponent in strong position.]
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R> ass
You assess your combat situation...

>
[You're fatigued, off balance with opponent in better position.]

[You're solidly balanced and in very strong position.]
> lie
You relax your body, allowing it to fall, which breaks Warbrolus's grip on you.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

P> stand
ret
ret
Your wounds are making standing more difficult.
You stand back up.

>
You retreat back to pole range.
>
You retreat from combat.

[You're very badly balanced with opponent in excellent position.]
P> kneel
You rise to a kneeling position.

K> lie
Warbrolus prevents you from lieing. Perhaps you should break his grip on you somehow or shove him away!
Roundtime: 1 sec.
KR> lie
Warbrolus prevents you from lieing. Perhaps you should break his grip on you somehow or shove him away!
KR> lie
You relax your body, allowing it to fall, which breaks Warbrolus's grip on you.

PR> stand
Your wounds are making standing more difficult.
You stand back up.

> ret
You retreat from combat.
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 12:47 PM CST
>>Warbie's good post.

I'm going to go say something strong and controvertial.

Not being able to pin someone down and hack at them like they're a mob, at least for more than a short while, is a good thing. If that seems unacceptable then train ranged or develop better timing (spoiler: The timing is the important part).

Hit and run is the only way PvP in DR isn't deterministic wrt your character's traits, and therefore boring, outside of very close matches. Without it even more fights would be one sided and pointless. You'd probably win more, as a Paladin, if people couldn't get away from you. But who would you find who would fight you and how much would you enjoy it? How satisfying would it feel to go:

>REVERSE HANGBACK
>SLICE
>SLICE
>SLICE

Until the other guy went down?

How satisfying would it be to be the other guy, stuck there and mechanically dominated because you can't win whatever contest? Why would you bother? It would be pretty lame. Like "let me go make a sandwhich while this guy kills me, then switch out of PvP Open" kind of lame. Better to crank up the damage and let people really pound eachother in short engagements.

PvP needs more player skill, and needs to be competitive with wider disparities, rather than less. Otherwise it's not fun and people are just not going to bother.

Mazrian
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 01:08 PM CST
I agree with Mazrian. I think even with the barrier review that damage could use an uptick instead of more disablers that keep people from moving. Being forced to sit there and lose a fight isn't fun and would bring less interaction instead of more. This would just turn PvP into a slow, one-sided fight even more than it is now.
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 02:43 PM CST
I've missed good forum conversations like these.

I think we're mostly of the same opinion. I actually don't have much of an issue with hit and run as long as it's not like it is now where people combine it with other tricks to make already long fights last an eternity. I also don't want to give the impression that I think everyone should stay in one room, not hide and stick to melee. Forcing people to fight melee for the entirety of a fight would tip things to the other extreme.

My issue is, and it may be paladin-specific, if someone wants to run away and reset khri timers or whatever, that's a perfectly valid strategy but I need to feel like I can at least make it tough for that person. Not to single out thieves... Rangers do it to reset fights. Moon mages do it. Warrior mages combine hit and run with non-diminishing debilitations to great effect. Clerics... Everyone knows already. You get the idea. On its own, hit and run is a perfectly fine and valid strategy, and you can counter it with debilitations and grapple and all that stuff. Add barriers, non-diminished disablers, stealth and engagement abilities and, well, we get where we are now. It can't be fun as a bow user without stealth, too. It's not as bad for TM, but it's got to be tough for non-stealthy bow users when their disablers are on DR.

The length of fights turned me off to PvP. No fight should last more than 30 minutes and we've all had them, especially with opponents who are familiar with how to counter in PvP. A lot of times, they're long because of damage mitigation and hit and run. When people recast MAF and other barriers, it makes me want to stance down to 0. In fact, I would do that occasionally.

To be clear, I try to be as objective about PvP as one can be as a player with a preferred guild because I like competitive PvP that's entertaining to watch and gives both people a shot even when spells/abilities favor (within reason) certain match ups. I think it's most fun being the underdog in a fight as long as the deck isn't totally stacked against you to the tune of near-one-hit win territory. I like watching other guilds compete as much as I enjoyed competing in tourneys. As fun as twitchy fights can be, it shouldn't entirely centered around hit and run at range or melee. Ideally, both competitors should have tools to help them fight in a way that benefits them most and the player's skill should dictate how the fight is ultimately fought. Disablers aren't the answer because disablers are used to prevent melee as often as they're used to facilitate melee even though nearly half their undiminished duration is wasted actually getting to range in the latter case.
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 02:54 PM CST
As a paladin... with the ability to halt... how can you gripe about that? That's one of the best disablers there is. Since you singled out my guild... Thieves need to run because the best abilities suck a LOT of concentration. If you can't wait them out, sucks to be you. If you can, most Thieves are one pump chumps. It's no different than a mage running out of mana, except mana regen is WAY faster lol. Anyways, you should come to the Wyvern Trials on Monday nights at 9. It's always a lot of fun.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 02:57 PM CST
My point isn't that halt sucks or that thieves are OP. If that's how it reads, then I made a bad post.
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 03:00 PM CST
It's not how it reads.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 04:07 PM CST
That's not how I took it at all, just offering insight into the theifly side of things, and commenting on how awesome your disabler actually is. To hear the complaint about people running from one of the few able to stop that... just seems odd to me.

Monster Elec

Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 04:14 PM CST
Halt has the same issue as every other disabler, namely not really having a super long duration and diminishing returns. I understand why diminishing returns are a thing, but it really feels too...much? Right now. Like it just kind of ramps up too quickly.

And Paladins can't even utilize stealth to get to melee first unseen. Yeah "use a ranged" but that has its own issues depending on which weapon you've got and it would be nice if melee had more value in PvP in general. Actually, being able to control positioning and range more finely would be really useful in general for PvE as well.

Thayet
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 04:37 PM CST
Using a ranged isn't much of an option for paladins, they can buff about everything melee, but crap for ranged. Halt really isn't that bad though. I play a paladin.

Monster Elec

Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 04:51 PM CST
>>I understand why diminishing returns are a thing, but it really feels too...much? Right now. Like it just kind of ramps up too quickly.

I wish they would reduce diminishing returns also. Right now you get one (maybe 2 at the top-end) decent duration, and the next time you use it the duration is so short that it's pointless to use. You just end up wasting whatever resource you use to fuel the disabler.
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 04:54 PM CST
>That's not how I took it at all, just offering insight into the theifly side of things, and commenting on how awesome your disabler actually is. To hear the complaint about people running from one of the few able to stop that... just seems odd to me.

I'm not complaining about halt or any other disabler.

My understanding of the current topic here is:

1. PvP is too long, so damage should go up, barriers should go down, etc.
2. Hit and run tactics and forced ranged combat is avoidable by player skill.

I agree with 1 completely and sort of agree with 2 with a big BUT. Someone who knows how to be slippery and stay at missile isn't going to be easily bested at melee by known tactics. Thieves don't even apply here in active combat since thieves' strength lies in melee abilities and risk versus reward. The only exception is the one I mentioned and now regret mentioning. My issue is the same issue people have taken with OM+Halo. Melee engagement takes long if you don't have Shadowstep and it's not that easy to stay there for more than a couple of hits, usually not even that with stun-hiders and pulsing invis.

Can you please substitute the word "paladin" in my post for "anyone who prefers melee combat and can't hide and khri shadowstep?" I know halt is awesome, and IMO only one thief khri is relatively OP in the hands of a skilled thief at HLC ranks and it isn't mentioned in this thread at all and shouldn't be, frankly.
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 04:59 PM CST
I don't think PVP is too long really, I think it CAN be. If ranks are really close, it's its a scratchfest. But it doesn't take much to tip those scales.

Monster Elec

Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 05:12 PM CST
>> I wish they would reduce diminishing returns also. Right now you get one (maybe 2 at the top-end) decent duration, and the next time you use it the duration is so short that it's pointless to use. You just end up wasting whatever resource you use to fuel the disabler.

Ayep. I'd rather see the rate of diminishing returns go way down myself. At least in PvP (PvE it hardly matters really).

I think being able to lock someone down for, say, a full minute if you're able and willing to spend the mana to keep them there, is not world-ending with the amount of damage that goes out.

Thayet
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 05:30 PM CST
A full minute? That's ridiculous... Why should it take a full minute to kill someone? If it takes you a full minute to kill someone with them unable to move... you are doing it wrong. Not to mention there is something HORRIBLY wrong with a skill/stat contest somewhere.

Monster Elec

Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 05:33 PM CST
Didn't you just get done acknowledging that PvP at-level is a scratchfest? I've been in fights that stretched on for 10 and 20 minutes, even when one party clearly outranked the other. The other opponent not being able to move would have changed nothing of those fights beyond ensuring they couldn't run away.

Thayet
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 08:33 PM CST
A disabler that lasts a full minute is stupid and automatically OP. Again, if it takes you more than half that while someone is disabled, you should be apologizing and leaving abruptly. Keeping someone at melee that long is also a bit crappy since there are plenty of reasons that someone shouldn't have to be stuck at melee.

I think your definition and mine are different. I'm talking about disabled ala Halt. If you just mean not retreating, that's a different story, and I still think a full minute is a good bit much. Why should you get to dictate how I fight? There was a spell that did this previously that I think paladins had? I'm pretty sure that ability is gone from it. IIRC

We are all in agreement that ranges and combat need looked at.

Monster Elec

Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 08:39 PM CST
While I have nothing to say about the philosophical level of this conversation yet, I will say that Thieves right now are uniquely situated for single-target Alpha and that is probably not the best experience to draw from regarding our core expectations.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 08:52 PM CST
>I will say that Thieves right now are uniquely situated for single-target Alpha and that is probably not the best experience to draw from regarding our core expectations

But why wouldn't this be a core expectation? I'm a barbarian and sure I want to uber pwonz everyone in PVP but that isn't realistic or good for game design. Shouldn't we set a baseline of what guilds should be what target-type Alpha/Beta/Omega so that development can move forward from there to some extent. I know it's not as cut and dry as that and I am not advocating that X guild always wins when matched equally (whatever you want that to me) in one-on-one PVP but there has to be a focus otherwise everyone becomes equal, which is what I think this whole thread is trying to dissuade.

OP is one thing but having unique abilities to unique situations is, to me, one of the things that makes this game so fun. I don't like the outcome then I can train to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 09:33 PM CST
Armifer,

I also...

A) Dislike the one trick pony of Thief combat and B)Have and do play several other guilds. Given my history with gaming and the amount of time and money I've invested in this specific game, and others... I seek something balanced. I could care less about GvG whatever. I seek balance, and a better playing experience.

I despise that if I want to be competitive as a thief, I HAVE to pretty much strictly BS. I don't get to use near as many of my abilities as I have. That's boring and unfortunate. I love going toe to toe and using whatever little guild tricks I might have to get by. That's how combat should be IMO. Not just for me, but for everyone. That's what should keep us from "scratch fest". There are a lot of other broken things that need addressed before looking into Thief combat. That cart shouldn't be anywhere near the horse.

You saying that makes it sound like I don't get to throw in my .02 because I main a Thief. Who cares? I don't care if you nerf the crap out of Thieves, as long as everyone gets some balance, and several offending systems get fixed. The issue I have is when one guild gets a nerf and either a project stops or whatever, and the "balancing" stops there. That's crap, and it's happened far too many times.

My sig has my character name because I do not hide behind the forums. I do not care if someone knows who my character is. I do not post as Elec. I post as James. The player. I write it there because I own my crap. Not because I post as a Thief all the time. No one cares what my real name is. When you get mad, you can get mad at Elec, and I'm good with that. Dislike me. I'm an ass to most people. It's ok. But I'm an ass that means well.

Monster Elec

Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 10:51 PM CST
A Thief's alpha strike cuts down time to kill for pvp like no other guild. Barbarians and Paladins should have comparable alpha strike power abilities (for both PvE and PvP). I don't include Warrior Mages because I think they shine in aoe vs single target.

I generally dislike PvP (personally) in DR but I would kill for an alpha strike (as a Moon Mage) as good as thieves have. While I'd love to have it, I don't think Moon Mages should have it.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Damage sponges 12/16/2015 11:00 PM CST
It's an interesting and fair question to ponder "Should all guilds be equally effective in combat, in different but balanced ways, or should there be distinct combat guilds versus guilds that do other things better?" We've tried both ways over the course of DR's lifecycle, and in the semi-recent years have breathed new life into the non-combat aspect of the game.

More pointed, and even more fluctuating stance-wise over the years, is the question of if we should even care about PvP at all, or instead focus strictly on PvE viability and let the PvP thing just sort of be whatever it's going to be. Our opinion there has historically flipped more than once.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Prev_page Previous 1