Spawn Rate 03/18/2015 06:19 PM CDT
Something that's always bugged me is that if there's a hunter in the same area as you and they're simply dancing with mobs, not killing any, it completely jacks the spawn rate up for you. I'm sure this has been talked about before, is there anything that can be done about it on a global scale?
Re: Spawn Rate 03/18/2015 06:32 PM CDT
>>Something that's always bugged me is that if there's a hunter in the same area as you and they're simply dancing with mobs, not killing any, it completely jacks the spawn rate up for you. I'm sure this has been talked about before, is there anything that can be done about it on a global scale?

AFAIK, this depends on the way critters spawn in any given zone (making it sometimes a problem, but not always).

From my experience, there are a few different ways critters spawn:

1) X spawn randomly in the area, regardless of how many players are in the zone. This is the worst situation to be in when others are dancing in the area if that X is a very small number.
2) X spawn randomly in the area in relation to how many players are in the zone. This can be a bad situation, if the X per player is less than four.
3) X spawn in the area, in relation to how many players are in the zone, and they tend to show up where those players are. I'm assuming that these can also sometimes be less than four per player, but I rarely come across a situation like that. I think this is the general way most "new" areas are now set up, at least higher level ones.

I only point out that spawn works differently depending on zone because it's a lot more complicated than changing one global rule. What if areas should have limited mobs for whatever reason? What if an area isn't meant to have 4 mobs per player because it isn't intended for you to tackle 4 at a time when hunting there? Should the area change because the players are using it wrong? Maybe!

I'm all for a steady stream of critters showing up right where I am regardless of who else is in the zone, because it lets me sit my butt down in one spot and not run around like a crazy person every minute or so finding my next mob to kill. But I don't know if we're really intended to do that kind of stuff everywhere all the time.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Spawn Rate 03/18/2015 10:31 PM CDT
I was hoping the boss system would get implemented across the board for critters and would gen a 5th or Nth melee mob in those situations to try and kill off whomever was spending too much time dancing but like Tev said the gen rate is so different from mob to mob it's probably complicated as hell to devise a fix.

It would be great if after dancing without killing after a set time X they'd (the mob) would call for reinforcements to try killing you - Boss(es).

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Spawn Rate 03/18/2015 10:56 PM CDT
It's threads like this that make me miss Call of the Siren.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Spawn Rate 03/19/2015 08:54 AM CDT
>>It's threads like this that make me miss Call of the Siren.

This. I would seriously consider reactivating my bard if this came back.