Prev_page Previous 1
Parry Training 03/21/2013 10:52 AM CDT
Is there any way to tweak parry experience to be a little more generous when your stance is set at 100% parry?

Right now it takes me about 15-20 minutes to lock parry on Assassins dancing with 4. 871 ranks of Parry.

But the method to get learning on parry, at least for me, is like jumping through rings of fire just to train it.

To get my parry to lock in 15-20 minutes, I have to stance evasion to 50% and parry 100%. I get hit more but it works. If I do 100% parry 80-90% evasion I just evade and parry doesn't even train. So it's a situation where I have to deliberately nerf myself just to learn. This is with no defensive buffs either.

What I would like to propose is a little bonus on experience for parry, IF you are stanced to 100% parry. If you are stanced 100% parry, you are obviously attempting to train parry. Every time a critter attacks you you should learn a 'little' parry even if you evade.

Any chance of something like this happening. Training parry is the most annoying part of my hunting routine. I have to stop and dance with 4 critters for an extended period of time. I am bringing this up because there is a discussion on spawn mechanics and people who dance with 4 that screw over other's spawn. I try my best never just to stand there, but for parry I have to :(

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Parry Training 03/21/2013 11:48 AM CDT
Something really does need to be done about the parry training slowness, I agree.

It's pretty much the entire reason I don't hunt in drakes (and I'd really like to hunt in there). Pretty much every time I go there it's just me and one other person hunting at the time, and I become "that guy," (the one who stands there with 4 swinging away at him for 20-25 minutes while the other guy has to make do with 2) which is an untenable situation for me, so I just go back to assassins instead.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Parry Training 03/23/2013 04:42 PM CDT
In comparison how long does it take to ML:

Shield
Evasion
Armors
Weapons
Defending

And at what ranks?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Parry Training 03/23/2013 07:49 PM CDT
I find parry annoying to stance at 100 and train, I just split my defenses to around 90/20/80 evasion/parry/shield and let it tick away like that. Its slow going but it eventually locks for me after a few hours. Though my parry is pretty low compared to my other defenses. At least its an option if you don't want to just take the time out and dance with critters.
Re: Parry Training 03/23/2013 09:15 PM CDT
hey Kodius, they lock in about the same time I guess, armor is alot faster if I am in full 1 armor type etc, pieced out it depends on what body part, whatever is on my chest locks a bit faster, small pieces slower...

I am fine with the time frame actually ~15-20 min is ok, just hate the method of having to reduce evasion.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Parry Training 03/23/2013 09:21 PM CDT
hmm... ok I just did a parry test at 98 evasion and 100 parry and locked in ~16 minutes. So maybe I am off my rocker?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Parry Training 03/23/2013 10:43 PM CDT
I usually teach parry to the wife and her to me instead of relying on combat to teach it if that is any indicator. Stancing to learn it vs evasion is annoying and counter intuitive as you have to make your defenses worse to learn one.
Re: Parry Training 03/24/2013 10:13 AM CDT

>So maybe I am off my rocker?

For me the problem is DP Assassins, not parry.

As the only critter in the game at these ranks that also drops boxes, they are the only thing I want to hunt.

If I want to train parry, I absolutely have to wait for 4 to run out of bolts and come at me with melee, and then I cannot kill any or a new one will spawn and start shooting arrows through my parry. Now this probably wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't Armor tert, but I am, if I wasn't I'd already be in Intercessors/Cabalists full time.

Your OP mentioned you're in Assassins also, so maybe its this "set-up" and "no kill" period that you're really finding annoying.

Honestly since I'm really only doing it for TDPs, I think I'm done training parry. Just gonna spend the rest of my life watching my armor tert shield gains, since that's the only defense worth it.
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 03:38 PM CDT
>>For me the problem is DP Assassins,

The problem carries over into Cabalists as well. Ever since I've moved from Intercessors to Cabalists, parry training has been non existant no matter how I try to stance. It's suicide to take stance points away from evasion or shield and put them in parry (can't parry fire shard/ball, air lash).

For me, it's done.

RIP parry.

Parry Ability: 1467 75% dabbling (1/34) +0.30
Tracking for: 3 days, 9 hours, 35 minutes
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 07:57 PM CDT
So we've been trying to determine what options might exist for addressing the problems players are having while trying to train parry and hunting ranged enemies. It isn't an easy one.

In Combat 2.0 evasion was easily 2-3x better than Parry or Shield, so you really didn't need either of them to be an effective hunter. In some cases they even penalized you (such as in the case of using a large shield). Fixing this has caused another imbalance to rear its ugly head, but some options may exist to fix it... what are peoples' thoughts about this?

Option 1:

Dynamically re-assign Parry Stance to Shield/Evasion when attacked. So if you are stanced 100 parry/80 evasion, and someone lobs a fireball at you... 100 parry changes into +20 evasion stance, and +80 shield stance (or only +20 more evasion stance if you have no shield out).

Pros:

* Reduces the danger of training parry while hunting ranged enemies, if you use a shield
* Avoids having parry skill make you better at dodging or blocking
* This isn't too hard to code.
* Still allows people to stance down for RP/tourneys.

Cons:

* Might be confusing for players to understand. I'm stanced 100 parry, 0 shield/evasion, yet I can still dodge or shield block stuff.
* Parry isn't necessarily made better by this change. Just less likely to get you killed while training it.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 08:04 PM CDT
I like the idea, but how about possibly making the conversion tied into some other skill, like defending, where you're not always necessarily going to get 100% conversion until your skill is higher. My thinking is that yes, a skilled adventurer would definitely be able to juggle their stance mid-combat like this to handle ranged attacks, but some newb who's just picking up a sword and shield for the first time isn't.

Chatter[Sava] well I bled all night and didn't become diseased
Chatter[Tincan] That's what she said?
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 08:10 PM CDT
Definitely pro this.

> * Parry isn't necessarily made better by this change. Just less likely to get you killed while training it.

Parry's already better in the situations where it applies. It doesn't need to be made better; it just needs the drawbacks to be not as killer, which is what this does.
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 08:15 PM CDT
>>Option 1:

>>Dynamically re-assign Parry Stance to Shield/Evasion when attacked. So if you are stanced 100 parry/80 evasion, and someone lobs a fireball at you... 100 parry changes into +20 evasion stance, and +80 shield stance (or only +20 more evasion stance if you have no shield out).

I understand what this is trying to accomplish, but doesn't this make the whole point of defense stances kind of disappear? Basically, shouldn't you always be running 100% parry in this system?

(What is the whole point of defense stances, anyway?)
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 08:19 PM CDT
The details don't really matter to me, so it sounds like a great idea either way. Thumbs up from me.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 08:20 PM CDT
> Basically, shouldn't you always be running 100% parry in this system?

Not if your shield or evasion are higher than parry. Then you'd rather have your points in that other skill even vs melee attacks.

But yeah, it does make stance less important. I'm okay with that.
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 08:35 PM CDT

Please do this!
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 08:36 PM CDT
Well, all it is doing is saying hey, I can't parry so I am going to focus on my other defenses. And perhaps DEFENSE is a good skill to contest for this. Perhaps not.

The alternatives would be to remove stances altogether, or implement ratios similar to magic stancing. Neither of these are optimal. You'll always run into edge cases where holding a shield or weapon actually penalizes your defenses... and I don't think people would prefer that (I know I wouldn't as a a player).

Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 08:43 PM CDT
> The alternatives would be to remove stances altogether, or implement ratios similar to magic stancing.

I'm okay with either of these, too. Sure there are the edge cases you mention, but just like plate isn't always the best choice of armor, sometimes carrying a big hunk of metal isn't the best choice for defense. As long as those situations aren't both common and severely penalizing, it should be fine.
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 08:46 PM CDT
Well, the issue I am talking about is...

You have 1000 evasion, 700 parry and 400 shield. Not uncommon for some of our survival Guildies.

A goblin takes a swing at you, and the system decides to use 100% evasion and 80% parry. Oops, you never learn shield. If we try to make it so you learn shield, you suddenly lose a lot of defense - and you might not want that if doing PvP or hunting a boss. It means you'll have to juggle your shield a lot more than manipulate a stance verb.

Either learning is penalized or defense is penalized. Right now you can decide. By removing this you have to let "the machine" decide for you :P

Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 08:49 PM CDT
> A goblin takes a swing at you, and the system decides to use 100% evasion and 80% parry. Oops, you never learn shield.

Ah, didn't consider learning. Yeah, sounds like current stance points plus dynamic reassignment in certain situations is the best option.
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 09:12 PM CDT
Would it be possible to put it on a switch/toggle? That way when those certain situations pop up we can have the fine tuning ability we need and the rest of the time let it fluctuate dynamically. Also how would this affect learning with regards to the system automatically increasing say... shield when dealing with ranged/magic attacks? Would the learning be based off the pre or post adjusted stances and would it adjust back after the attack is over?

Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 09:18 PM CDT
>> A goblin takes a swing at you, and the system decides to use 100% evasion and 80% parry. Oops, you never learn shield. If we try to make it so you learn shield, you suddenly lose a lot of defense - and you might not want that if doing PvP or hunting a boss. It means you'll have to juggle your shield a lot more than manipulate a stance verb.

If you make it toggle-able and let the players set each stance, I think that could work. It would just be a reactive version of what we already have. Completely optional if someone didn't want to use it, but flexible if they did.

On the topic of PARRY as a general defense, I like the 'devoting your energy to dodging' idea. People who didn't train Shield would suck less, and people who did would still have that advantage. Maybe you could even sell a feat or two for using a weapon to aid in that task.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 09:19 PM CDT
+1

Madigan
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 09:24 PM CDT
>>current stance points plus dynamic reassignment in certain situations is the best option.

I agree with that.

As another, somewhat related thought, what ever came of the idea to have killing critters teach some blanket defensive experience, based on the stance settings of the character? I clearly remember Dartenien floating the idea at one point, and I've always thought it would have been a great cure for many of the problems with how combat training in DR has traditionally worked. I assume it got scrapped somewhere along the way, but I think it should be reconsidered.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 09:24 PM CDT
As long as training parry doesn't mean death if they fire ranged at you, I honestly don't care how you do it.

Make it so!

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 09:30 PM CDT
Throw me in the 'whatever it takes to make parry trainable vs. ranged critters without death.'

The dynamic stance as only applied to ranged and parry situations sounds good to me.

But what about the old stand by, just let players parry stuff at some penalty?

Pants.
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 10:40 PM CDT
I like it.
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 10:46 PM CDT
Sounds like a great idea.

I was trying to think of some weird situations where people always stance parry over shield, but I can't think of one. People will still need to stance to learn shield.

+1 (much better then the old idea of using parry ranks)
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 11:10 PM CDT
>>Option 1:

>>Dynamically re-assign Parry Stance to Shield/Evasion when attacked. So if you are stanced 100 parry/80 evasion, and someone lobs a fireball at you... 100 parry changes into +20 evasion stance, and +80 shield stance (or only +20 more evasion stance if you have no shield out).

Brilliant imo, make it so

I even want to add as a Pro that it makes perfect sense IC. If OOC you set your stance as 80 evasion, 100 parry that means that IC you are attempting to parry and dodge incoming attacks and ignoring the fact that you have a shield on your arm. Now say someone shoots an arrow at you, what would your character actually do? Stand there thinking "derp I can block arrows with my sword oh crap no I can't" (current mechanics), or instinctively react with the shield already sitting there on their arm?

Kodius's idea makes WAY more IC sense than the current mechanics, and it solves a glaring OOC problem - how did no one think of this idea before?

Apu
_
Respect. Integrity. World Domination.
https://sites.google.com/site/apucorpdr/
Re: Parry Training 03/25/2013 11:13 PM CDT
>>how did no one think of this idea before?

Kodius is the Tony Stark of code.

"But sir, it's just not possible with our current combat engine!"
"Kodius coded this with two bags of Cheetohs and a Halo 4 Mountain Dew! What do you mean it's not possible?!"
"B-b-but sir.... I'm not Kodius."
Re: Parry Training 03/26/2013 02:04 AM CDT

Option #1 sounds good to me.

Would this train shield on the attacks for which our parry stance points got reassigned, or would we just learn parry anyway, despite the fact that we technically are now using a shield? Doesn't really matter one way or the other, just wondering.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Parry Training 03/26/2013 05:57 AM CDT
OK, I like it! But (and I usually have a but) how does this solve the problem of TRAINING parry? I understand it would help us not die to ranged attackers (a very good thing), but how does it help move the parry skill? Will I learn a bit of parry when the stances shift? Will I learn parry vs shield or evasion for this dynamic defense shift?

Is an OPTION 2, % chance (increasing with parry skill) to Parry all rangeattackerses thus learning parry for defending against the attack off the table? Maybe as a feat?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: Parry Training 03/26/2013 06:02 AM CDT
> OK, I like it! But (and I usually have a but) how does this solve the problem of TRAINING parry?

It lets you stance for parry in an area that includes ranged attacks. Then you can learn parry from the melee attacks in that area without dying to the ranged attacks.
Re: Parry Training 03/26/2013 06:06 AM CDT
OK, I can see this. And maybe auto turn it off when you are in a challenge?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: Parry Training 03/26/2013 06:09 AM CDT
> OK, I can see this. And maybe auto turn it off when you are in a challenge?

Why would you want this? If you're trying to give yourself a handicap, just leave those stance points unassigned. The idea is that only points which have been actively assigned to a defense will reallocate themselves.
Re: Parry Training 03/26/2013 07:13 AM CDT
>>Why would you want this? If you're trying to give yourself a handicap, just leave those stance points unassigned. The idea is that only points which have been actively assigned to a defense will reallocate themselves.

"Here were my options: A: Quickly duck sideways, dodge the claw and take out with a spinning back kick. B: Take the claw in the face, then roll on the ground and die. Hmm, should have gone with A.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrdtUDxiDn4

That's all I could think of when I read the quoted text.

Samsaren
Re: Parry Training 03/26/2013 01:08 PM CDT
One thing that would need to be remedied is stancing down attack to 0 in reflexive stances to exploit the extra 20 points. I don't think it's a huge issue, though. A portion of the PvP crowd use it actively, but I don't think it would have a place in reflexive stancing.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Parry Training 03/27/2013 01:31 AM CDT
I am seriously considering removing bonus points from stancing down. It is silly, and unbalancing.

Re: Parry Training 03/27/2013 01:45 AM CDT
>> kodius stance points

Probably best to fix the bug that grants +20 stance points first?
Re: Parry Training 03/27/2013 02:05 AM CDT

> I am seriously considering removing bonus points from stancing down. It is silly, and unbalancing.

>> Probably best to fix the bug that grants +20 stance points first?

I'm not purposefully being obtuse, I've posted it numerous times so I figure you have seen it by now.

There is an extra 20 points given. It should be a total of 200 + defense points. This is repeatable.

> stance set 3 100 100 0
Setting your Evasion stance to 3%, your Parry stance to 100%, your Shield stance to 100%, and your Attack stance to 0%. You have 20 stance points left.

> stance set 23 100 100 0
Setting your Evasion stance to 23%, your Parry stance to 100%, your Shield stance to 100%, and your Attack stance to 0%. You have 0 stance points left.
Prev_page Previous 1