Special Attacks 01/23/2013 01:03 AM CST
I was hunting Wir Dinego(Which I surpass by hundreds of ranks) and was one-shot destroyed by it's special attack. I'm thinking these probably should get looked at, as I'm under the impression we should only be receiving one-shot deaths from things that totally outclass us, not the other way around.

A wir dinego draws a bone fragment from its rotten satchel and hurls it at you!
You try to dodge, but the fragment lands an extremely heavy hit to your head, stunning you!

The fragment explodes into powder under the force of impact.
Your Alamhif dayblade falls to the ground.

Your death cry echoes in your brain as it quickly dawns on you that you have just died! Already, you feel the tug of eternity upon your soul and you struggle to remain tied to this world.

A chill takes the seat of your soul as your remaining spiritual strength bleeds away steadily. However, you are comforted that you have curried the favor of your god, which will greatly improve the course of your resurrection or reincarnation.
Re: Special Attacks 01/23/2013 03:39 AM CST
Just to add, in case there may not be enough information; My shield was out and I was stanced for it. I had actually blocked several of these attacks until this one insta-destroyed Ventuul's face.
Re: Special Attacks 02/26/2013 12:32 PM CST
Since we are raging over stuff like this, I have been set on fire multiple times in the shalswar hunting grounds, and put to sleep by that arrow attack. This while properly stanced for shield (and blocking), light to no burden and repaired armor. Roughly 700 ranks outclassing them. No stats under 90.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Special Attacks 02/26/2013 12:39 PM CST
But...that's such a great way to get bleeders for first aid training!

We need a burn unit in Raven's Point.
Re: Special Attacks 02/26/2013 12:46 PM CST
>>Since we are raging over stuff like this, I have been set on fire multiple times in the shalswar hunting grounds, and put to sleep by that arrow attack. This while properly stanced for shield (and blocking), light to no burden and repaired armor. Roughly 700 ranks outclassing them. No stats under 90.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Combat_3.0#Damage

Relevant portion:
>>In addition, all attacks have a small chance to both miss and hit, regardless of any difference in skill between the attacker and defender.
Re: Special Attacks 02/26/2013 01:42 PM CST
We know about that change. It still doesn't mean that a special attack (from a critter you outclass by hundreds of ranks) that can 1 shot kill you is A-OK. See the post about wir dinegos and their bone shard special attack.
Re: Special Attacks 02/26/2013 05:39 PM CST
>>We know about that change. It still doesn't mean that a special attack (from a critter you outclass by hundreds of ranks) that can 1 shot kill you is A-OK. See the post about wir dinegos and their bone shard special attack.

<3 you, Binu.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: Special Attacks 02/27/2013 01:23 PM CST
Combat will not be changing to address the occasional critter with an overpowered special attack. We've just not had the resources to fix these critters yet.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes