open rolls again 07/15/2011 10:21 AM CDT
last time this was even discussed was like 2 years ago..do we have ANY advice on what to hunt that seems to open roll less? in the 700-1k range? everything i hunt that will teach will one shot me at least 2x a day..sometimes as much as 5x in one day..obviously anyone who has ever tried to hunt super celps feels this pain..i have more agil/reflex more defenses..more everything than some of my friensd who might get open rolled once a week..yes i fix my armor regularly, yes i have my stances set right, no i don't sweep, and yes i know what an open roll looks like..seriously my opponent can't trip into killing me 5x a day..any advice on how to have this happen less would make me happy
Re: open rolls again 07/15/2011 10:22 AM CDT
omg they're not called open rollz!!1

In general, what you want is to avoid a critter with a natural charge attack. If they use weapons, that tends to end up not doing the one-shot kill as much.

- Tyr, player of

Grolig exclaims, "Silly Paladin!"
Re: open rolls again 07/15/2011 10:23 AM CDT
>>last time this was even discussed was like 2 years ago..do we have ANY advice on what to hunt that seems to open roll less? in the 700-1k range?

No, bad rolls happen to everyone in the high range. The only thing I can suggest is that you raise stamina and wear heavier armor, but in the end it still won't matter too much until it's all fixed. I went for like 2 months without dying, then suddenly I died 3 times in 2 days. It's really weird and can be discouraging but you just gotta keep going.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: open rolls again 07/15/2011 10:36 AM CDT
if its not called an open roll whats it called? will stamina actually help? i might misunderstand, regardless of which character im on..weither i have 70 stamina or 40..when i get the "sorry you lose because our system is broke" message..it results in a capped hit..i only survive if it hits a non vital area..even if it only does a "heavy" hit..it still crits the area which still kills me..with 90% vitality
Re: open rolls again 07/15/2011 10:37 AM CDT
Heh, I will share with you a superstition I have which has worked fairly well for me.

Creatures will target your least protected body parts(with regard to armor) more so than your highly protected body parts. As an example, I wear chain on my torso and leather legs/hands and most of the death rolls(I'm calling them death rolls from now on) I get are on these non-vital body parts. So I end up living, albiet with a severed leg or hand.

Also, train reflex/stamina and underhunt as much as you can. I've gotten to the point where I can survive adult armadillo death rolls to my vital body parts now, miraculously. This is with 8-90s in stam/refl and high 8-900s in defense skills and NOT gimping my defensive stances because of the lovely defense EXP change Dart put into place. <3

Good luck brother.

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: open rolls again 07/15/2011 10:38 AM CDT
Stamina doesnt help. I have 99+ courage boost and they still get me. I posted same deal yesterday in the creatures folder, nothing helps.
Re: open rolls again 07/15/2011 11:01 AM CDT
i guess im just more wondering how this isnt fixed yet? i understand its complicated..but this is the single most broken element of any game i've ever seen..and its been discussed for years...this should have taken priority over anything thats been released in the last 2-3 years
Re: open rolls again 07/15/2011 11:02 AM CDT
IIRC, vitality (and, in turn, stamina) doesn't matter in most end-game attacks that get past your defenses.

Fictional numbers follow, but they still give the gist of what is going on.

Sure, increasing your stamina with TDPs and spells to 99+ gives you over 9,000 Hit Points. Sadly, your body parts all still have 50 Hit Points, which is the same amount they had when you came out of Character Creation.

With high end combat rolls giving a (once again fictional numbers) 1,000 attack score, even if you block 95% of the strike you'll still get your body part exploded.
Re: open rolls again 07/15/2011 11:12 AM CDT
given those fictional numbers, wouldn't the easy solution be to give your body parts a percentage of the whole in HPs? I have 100 HP, my chest is 25% of my body, so it has 25 HP, I have 1000 hp, my chest is 25% of my body, so it has 250 HP...

Illimin
Re: open rolls again 07/15/2011 11:30 AM CDT
I actually do what Leilond does. I don't know if it's just luck, but I keep HP/LP on torso/head/hands and all my lower armors get swapped as leg protection. I lose legs ALL the time, but very, very rarely deal with one-hit deaths.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: open rolls again 07/15/2011 12:06 PM CDT
>>>Stamina doesnt help. I have 99+ courage boost and they still get me. I posted same deal yesterday in the creatures folder, nothing helps.

>>Sure, increasing your stamina with TDPs and spells to 99+ gives you over 9,000 Hit Points. Sadly, your body parts all still have 50 Hit Points, which is the same amount they had when you came out of Character Creation.

This is correct. My bad on the stamina suggestion.

As Leilond said your best bet would be underhunting. I think high reflex helps big time too.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: open rolls again 07/15/2011 02:45 PM CDT
>given those fictional numbers, wouldn't the easy solution be to give your body parts a percentage of the whole in HPs? I have 100 HP, my chest is 25% of my body, so it has 25 HP, I have 1000 hp, my chest is 25% of my body, so it has 250 HP...

The GMs have said this is something that is not an option. I suspect it's more "we can do it but it would break the game in ways we can't predict and would likely cause problems for years to come," but I hardly begrudge them the difference.

The last plan I heard was that body part damage would be capped based on how low your vit is.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance Sheet:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: open rolls again 07/15/2011 10:49 PM CDT
I think your issue was your jacked up damaged armor tfpaladin.

Madigan
Re: open rolls again 07/16/2011 12:00 AM CDT
Yea, going to try it again tomorrow.
Re: open rolls again - armor repair 07/17/2011 11:36 AM CDT
All good now. I just came back 2 months ago and totally missed this armor repair. All my weapons/Armor were totally destoryed. Thanks for all the inputs. Now I am having fun again.
Re: open rolls again 07/18/2011 11:56 PM CDT
>>given those fictional numbers, wouldn't the easy solution be to give your body parts a percentage of the whole in HPs? I have 100 HP, my chest is 25% of my body, so it has 25 HP, I have 1000 hp, my chest is 25% of my body, so it has 250 HP...

Unfortunately the body part "hit points" are hardwired. An oddity of the very early design choices.
Re: open rolls again 08/01/2011 03:52 PM CDT
They could just revamp how much attack you gain from skill / weapon vs how much defense you gain from skill / armor. Body part health, while an issue, isn't the biggest issue per se; the fact that at-level damage continues to get higher and higher is already clearcut sign that offense v. defense isn't scaled properly.

But that's what 3.0 is for. Hopefully.