Re: engine tangent 08/20/2009 06:42 PM CDT
<<I actually have wondered that myself. Make copies of everything on file. Then update to a new game engine
Probably not as straightforward as your thinking it is.

-Stayn
Re: engine tangent 08/20/2009 10:07 PM CDT
>My understanding is there is the base engine... Then there is a scripting language...

This is basically correct. The scripting langauge is, I believe, called GSL (after gemstone)? The following is probably too long winded to be true:

Simutronics games are more like MUSHes than MUDs in the sense that development almost never touches the system that runs the game, only the game itself. Only some aspects of the game are part of the system itself, like inventory, equipment slots (feature-altering stuff are probably a hack), what is a player and what is an object, ect. Kind of like the hardcode is an OS and the softcode is an executable or ... some better analogy. Softcoded is generally more stable.

When you start working in the hardcode, you're talking a different level of programming and legal access.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: engine tangent 08/20/2009 11:40 PM CDT
So, DR 3.0 then?
Re: engine tangent 08/21/2009 12:05 AM CDT
Speaking of the combat changes, any other gnome primary guys feeling anxious about being a little hosed over the changes?
Re: engine tangent 08/21/2009 05:43 AM CDT
>>Speaking of the combat changes, any other gnome primary guys feeling anxious about being a little hosed over the changes? <<

Yup. 100th circle gnome barbarian and I'm a little nervous about the coming changes, especially to fatigue, but like everything else, I'm going to wait and see what the end result is, and then learn to live with them.

Stop being wrong and people will stop telling you that you are wrong.

- Simon
Re: engine tangent 08/23/2009 01:14 AM CDT
I keep hearing about coming changes, are we talking days, weeks, months, or years?
Re: engine tangent 08/23/2009 07:45 AM CDT
The impression I've gotten is that it's in the weeks-months range. It's Simu though, so that could easily become years.

[21:34] Your mind hears Mujaki thinking, "You are never too young for liquor."
[21:34] Your mind hears Kalnean thinking, "You don't have any kids, do you."
[21:35] Your mind hears Mujaki thinking, "I hope not."
Re: engine tangent 08/23/2009 08:00 AM CDT
Definitely beyond the weeks range, although we could see parts of it at any time I suppose.