Leather for good? 06/27/2014 12:57 PM CDT

I have some questions about armor choices. I've trained light armor (leathers) to 250. I'm happy with leathers and don't want to train anything heavier, but I'm wondering if I might get into trouble as I hunt monsters that are bigger and meaner. Will I be able to hunt anything I want at level using leathers all the way?

Woaden

Circle 49 Gnome Barbarian
Re: Leather for good? 06/27/2014 01:10 PM CDT
YYMV but I've hunted everything up through black apes in cloth armor and have yet to see a reason to switch.
Re: Leather for good? 06/27/2014 02:56 PM CDT
So...back in 'the day'...cloth was garbage. Literally better off being naked.

That changed with nu-crafting whenever Kodius whipped that out.

Leathers are now good, but cloth seems to be comparable and you've got rare cloth you can make rare material armor out of. I compared a suit of generic burlap to a same size suit of lava drake (I think, might have been another high-level critter) a few months ago.

They were pretty much the same, the burlap was lighter, and the leathers had 1 stat better at thermal protection, which really only matters if you're fighting a very, very, small subset of critters.

Honestly, can't go wrong with cloth armor if you want to stick with Light.

Depending on whether or not you use stealth, as a barbarian, I'd totally recommend doing a mix, throwing some chain in there at least (gloves/head) for the extra TDPs. If you don't do stealth at all, I'd say get a shirt, some greaves, and do a Light/chain/brig mixture.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Leather for good? 06/27/2014 03:14 PM CDT
[quote]Depending on whether or not you use stealth, as a barbarian, I'd totally recommend doing a mix, throwing some chain in there at least (gloves/head) for the extra TDPs. If you don't do stealth at all, I'd say get a shirt, some greaves, and do a Light/chain/brig mixture.[/quote]

I don't stealth, but my vision for RPing my little Barb Gnome was to stay kind of 'naturalist' in leathers. I think I'm willing to give up some protection and stick to leathers as long as I can keep climbing the critter ladder, and not eventually be forced to backtrain chain or plate. Sounds like leathers will work. Reading through the forums I noticed there are different types of skins for crafted leather armors that provide different bonuses to stealth or protection. Is mammoth skin the best type for protection?
Re: Leather for good? 06/28/2014 08:19 AM CDT
IDK how important it is to you, but I also like to keep an aesthetic feel for my characters, a good work around is item hiders. That way you can still wear chain brig and even plate for the TDPs without sacrificing you're characters aesthetic.

This fest has some non magical simple hider options like a the tunic for example.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Leather for good? 06/28/2014 10:47 AM CDT
>>I don't stealth, but my vision for RPing my little Barb Gnome was to stay kind of 'naturalist' in leathers.

I like to keep with a theme on my characters and it was why I never trained multiple armors for TDPs, but now my Paladin hides his random assorted mess of armor with a sleeveless white silk tunic belted with a steely grey sash from the fest. The only armor that will show through is your gloves, helm and shield.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Hide_and_Seek has a selection of non magic body(generically "worn" items - including gweths -, chest, belt, wrist, thigh) hiding items themed for most guilds, as well as some magical items that hide gweths and bundles.

But as for an actual answer to the question, I'm pretty sure leather is fine all the way up until the end game.
Re: Leather for good? 06/28/2014 11:36 AM CDT

>>But as for an actual answer to the question, I'm pretty sure leather is fine all the way up until the end game.

When you say 'until' end game, does that mean I may need to back train another armor to face the toughest end game critters? Or did you mean that leathers should be fine against end game critters?
Re: Leather for good? 06/28/2014 11:41 AM CDT
I'm not as qualified to give an answer as other people around here but the only armor I have ever heard that is bad at high ranks is a non Paladin in plate, because at some point the benefits of the extra protection stop outweighing the massive hindrance penalty. As a non stealth user your "best" choice is probably chain if you're super worried about what armor is the best at the high ranks, but you will not be insta-gibbed at any level just because you're wearing leather on a Barbarian.
Re: Leather for good? 06/28/2014 11:44 AM CDT
This basically. The only change I'd make is that I'd remove the "at high ranks" part of it, heh.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Leather for good? 06/28/2014 12:11 PM CDT
DR is not a graphical MMO.

You will not 'have' to wear the most protective armor in the world. Light armor (leather or cloth here) has a much lower hindrance penalty than chain. Chain has more protection. You can craft (or have crafted) leather armor which competes with chain for protection, it will just be more hindering than armor made for low hindrance. Chain and light armor are pretty equitable, so you'll do fine in either.

If you step up to brigandine, you'll need to be more careful; get some armor made for low hindrance. If you go even further and use plate, you'll need to eek out every bit you can get probably should really step back down the ladder regardless. But any armor is doable, in DR. There is no right/wrong way to do things like you would see in WoW or EQ or FF etc. There are, of course, recommended paths of least resistance, but DR is a skill based game, you can do pretty much anything.

If you're going to stick with light armor, I'd suggest training stealth at least a bit. It's a really powerful tool. But I'd also suggest using cloth instead of leather, especially at low levels, if you're going full light armor.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Leather for good? 07/03/2014 04:26 PM CDT
<< Will I be able to hunt anything I want at level using leathers all the way?

Yes, as long as your ranks are on par with the monster level, why shouldn't you? The fundamentals of combat shouldn't change throughout levels and if that were the case, this is something for the developers to work out.

But technically when talking about defensive ability in general, you should bear in mind that armor isn't the only factor. As i understand it, the lower your armor hindrance is in comparison, the bigger impact your evasion will have. As long as your evasion and parry/shield don't lose their momentum, you should have nothing to worry about. And if anything, the critters at higher level tend to have all kinds of magic tricks up their sleeves, so most importantly make sure you always carry a shield and you should be fine.
Re: Leather for good? 07/03/2014 08:25 PM CDT
It's not terribly difficult to train them all? You can move light armor and chain to high mind states while training stealth and then just swap greaves or another accessory for brig and plate skill. Doesn't hurt to have them all since armor may change at some point in the future to add benefits for heavier armors. That's been alluded to, anyway.

If TDPs and future options are no concern, I'd stick with light armor and chain like has been suggested in this thread. Chain is the best mix of hindrance/protection if stealth is a secondary concern. If stealth is a primary concern, light armor, cloth or leather, is fine to late game but you really feel that low absorption. Right now, you can do no wrong if you have either of those two as an option and barriers make the choice even easier.

It's important to note that armor ranks do mean more now. You'll notice things tend to hit a lot harder when armor skill isn't up to snuff.
Re: Leather for good? 04/12/2015 03:29 PM CDT
I'm revisiting this old post I made because I have a new question along the same lines. I'd like to get into some pvp now and then, but am wondering if leather armor is viable in a competitive situation. I've heard from a few players that chain is a must. Someone had commented that leather armor can be crafted to nearly the same level of protection as chain. If this is the case, seems like leathers in pvp are an option?
Re: Leather for good? 04/12/2015 03:56 PM CDT
Light armor is fine in pvp. There's some real high end cloth that's good too.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Leather for good? 04/12/2015 04:05 PM CDT
Thanks.