Hindrance 03/08/2014 10:46 AM CST
It's been a long time since I've had to worry about this but I get asked this question a lot.
At what rank of your preferred armor would you need to train down the armor hindrance to your lowest possible if you are an armor tert guild? I thought it was 100 but I am told that is not enough. Anyone know?

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Re: Hindrance 03/08/2014 12:42 PM CST
>>Saxxin: At what rank of your preferred armor would you need to train down the armor hindrance to your lowest possible if you are an armor tert guild? I thought it was 100 but I am told that is not enough.

This isn't the right question in 3.0. Instead, you must keep your armor ranks around the same as your evasion. (The range is generous, because a lot of people have lower armor than evasion.)

"Also, the assumption that you will be going from 25% to 33% is inaccurate, as is the assumption that x% will even mean the same thing. Hinderance as a whole is going down substantially, with the caveat that you will no longer reach a point where you have permanently minimized it -- to keep it down you will need to keep training armor." --DR-DARTENIAN (3/31/2009)

"(2) No guild can work hindrance down to 0%. This means that you do not need to worry about getting to the point where you have 0% hindrance -- you just need to get to your minimum. Let's assume for a moment that the minimum hindrance on your leather armor is 10% (made-up number; keep in mind the minimum hindrance is skillset based). That means as long as your leather armor skill is within 20% of your evasion (10% padding plus the fact you can't get below 10% hindrance), you are at the lowest hindrance you can possibly achieve. The higher the minimum hindrance of your armor, the more wiggle room you have to maintain minimum hindrance. However, keep in mind that HP may be reducing your evasion by, say, 40% compared to that 10% the leather is reducing it, so don't just assume that having more wiggle room means the heavier armor is a better choice for you." --DR-DARTENIAN (12/23/2009)

"Right now it is possible to permanently minimize hindrance by achieving X ranks in the appropriate armor skill. In the very near future, this will be changing. The next phase will eliminate the ability to do this, and require that armor skill be roughly in line with your other main combat capabilities (evasion, in particular) to maintain minimal hindrance. It has never made sense that you need 500 ranks of defense and offense to fight Critter X, but only 50-150 ranks of armor. That will no longer be true. The maximum hindrance is a means by which folks who do not want to invest the time in keeping their armor skill close to their overall combat level a few options that will let them still be effective -- it just means they'll need to stick to the lighter armors and rely more on their other defenses. For armor to be a viable defense, you'll need to keep it relatively close to your combat level, just like you would your other combat skills." --DR-DARTENIAN (7/1/2010 12:53:35 AM)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Hindrance 03/08/2014 03:12 PM CST

That was very detailed answer. Unfortunately I have no idea what the hell you just said. Layman's terms please. Mine is fine. It's the lower leveled mages that it concerns. I seriously doubt their evasion is leaps and bounds higher than their armor at their point. You said it's possible now to get X ranks. That's all fine and dandy if you know what X equals. Which basically was my question. What does X equal?
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Re: Hindrance 03/08/2014 04:45 PM CST
Two relevant points:

1) hindrance penalizes all three defenses (evasion, shield, parry) in various ways

2) The maximum hindrance is double the minimum hindrance for tert guilds.

>>What does X equal?

>>what skill ratio will land a cap on best protection, or is there even such a concept?

>[snip] If you have armor ranks >= your opponent's offenses, you are going to get the most bang for your buck. This is a weighted system so armor terts aren't entirely screwed for having armor ranks much below their defensive ranks. Still, the intent is to have armor primes be the best at using their armor when hunting at-level, or slightly harder, enemies.

IE: Keep your armor as at-level as possible.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Hindrance 03/08/2014 06:13 PM CST
>>Layman's terms please.

1. Keep your armor skills as near as possible to your Evasion to minimize your hindrance. There is a large-ish range for this to work, but we don't know exactly how big.

2. Your minimum hindrance is based on both the armor (heavy plate is always going to be more hindering than cloth) and your Armor skillset placement. If you're tert you will not work it down as far as secondary or primary.

3. If the armor's minimum hindrance is pretty high (like plate), you don't have to keep your armor skill as close to your Evasion to keep it at minimum.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Hindrance 03/08/2014 06:32 PM CST
I may not be making myself clear so I'll do it this way. One of the smaller mages that wanted to know stats and hindrance:

Shield Usage: 102 45% clear (0/34) Light Armor: 100 62% clear (0/34)
Chain Armor: 75 53% clear (0/34)

Evasion: 98 37.73% clear (0/34)
Parry Ability: 93 73.33% clear (0/34)

All cloth with shield:
an insulated mask
some insulated gloves
an insulated hood
a somber black shield
a padded heavy burlap hauberk with a reinforced design

You feel certain that a padded heavy burlap hauberk with a reinforced design appears to impose great maneuvering hindrance and fair stealth hindrance, offering:
very high protection and good damage absorption for puncture attacks.
high protection and very good damage absorption for slice attacks.
great protection and good damage absorption for impact attacks.
moderate protection and low damage absorption for fire attacks.
fair protection and somewhat fair damage absorption for cold attacks.
moderate protection and somewhat fair damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing a padded heavy burlap hauberk with a reinforced design your maneuvering would be fairly hindered and your stealth would be lightly hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently somewhat hindered and your stealth is somewhat hindered.

The question is this. What does it take for the guy to get his hindrance down to it's minimum? Lightly I think is the lowest for armor tert guilds.

Re: Hindrance 03/08/2014 06:35 PM CST
It's somewhere around 200ish ranks. BUT, as everyone said, you can be over that and still not be at minimum possible hindrance based on a lot of other factors.

- Starlear -
Re: Hindrance 03/08/2014 06:37 PM CST
>>The question is this. What does it take for the guy to get his hindrance down to it's minimum?<<

Don't arm wear the shield.

M@c ~]X!j % %AN_rrWB5z4%p rBa =jZb*h[mp,0;pv` knIM%aJ|
WARNING: You are carrying an extremely large number of items on your person.
Having a very high number of items can cause character corruption or
Re: Hindrance 03/08/2014 07:09 PM CST
Thank you Starlear

~Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Re: Hindrance 03/08/2014 07:22 PM CST
Best advice, TRAIN all armor it's easy to do no matter the skill set. This game changes a lot. If all your armor is the same you can pick the best armor for that particular phase of the game. 97 is different from 2000 is different from 2005 is different from 2014.

- Buuwl
Re: Hindrance 03/08/2014 08:32 PM CST
>Best advice, TRAIN all armor it's easy to do no matter the skill set. This game changes a lot. If all your armor is the same you can pick the best armor for that particular phase of the game. 97 is different from 2000 is different from 2005 is different from 2014.

Eh, I disagree. It depends more on your intent. Chain has always been a good, solid, choice. Plate (and Brig) have always been mediocre choices for non-Paladins, and leather (cloth/bone) have always been less ideal than chain for protection but less penalizing to stealth. The specifics change, obviously. But your logic can extend to say 'train every skill in game, because something might make you less min/maxed at some point'.
Re: Hindrance 03/08/2014 11:26 PM CST

<<-But your logic can extend to say 'train every skill in game, because something might make you less min/maxed at some point'.>>

I see how you can take it there, but in regards to armor or it's super easy just to move em all/swap out some greaves or gloves.

Buuwl
Re: Hindrance 03/09/2014 04:14 AM CDT
>-But your logic can extend to say 'train every skill in game, because something might make you less min/maxed at some point'.>>

This has always been my impression of what a good number of (often very vocal) people would, at least ideally, like to be doing.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.