Chain vs Leather 01/12/2014 10:28 PM CST
My character is a moon mage who has about 100 ranks each of light and chain armor. I want to upgrade what I have and be able to hide without removing my armor in combat. I've been looking at what is being offered in the crossing plaza and all of the leathers seem to give a lot more movement hindrance than the (admittedly crappy) chain robe I'm using but the protection is much higher and the stealth hindrance is lower. How much will that movement hindrance hurt me in combat?
Re: Chain vs Leather 01/13/2014 12:54 AM CST
>>Drakonic: How much will that movement hindrance hurt me in combat?

It depends in large part on which defenses you're relying on most. Evasion seems to be the most affected by hindrance, and shield the least.

Hindrance can be reduced with armor skill, but as an armor-tertiary, you can only do so much.

The best way is to test it. You may be able to find a Trader who will be willing to accept a return or exchange if it doesn't work out. (Unlike the real world, used items in DragonRealms aren't devalued.)

DR-KODIUS (02/23/2013)

After some digging this is what we currently have:

Evasion: Takes overall hindrance (armor + shield) and this value penalizes the stat bonus to evasion skill by a large amount, and evasion skill by a smaller amount.

Parry: Overall hindrance penalizes skill bonus from weapon balance and stats, shield hindrance penalizes parry ranks.

Shield: Shield hindrance penalizes stat bonus to skill.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Chain vs Leather 01/13/2014 08:42 AM CST
As a moon mage, you are not going to be able to hide consistently at level in LC after a certain point in time. If you're really intent on not taking off your armor to train stealth (not sure why you're intent on this), you will have to go with leathers or cloth. Even then, you will probably still come across situations where you're going to have to take your armor off to train stealth for certain gaps.

Base hinderance in the appraisal has almost nothing to do with how effectively hindered you will be between armor classes. It's entirely possible, and actually seems to be the case most of the time, that leathers with a much higher base hinderance are actually less hindering than light chain stuff when you put them on (look at the "But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently..." hinderance line). There's some great cloth stuff out there too. Burlap and silk sets are both excellent non-rare cloth options.
Re: Chain vs Leather 01/13/2014 08:58 PM CST
Thanks for the info.

As far as not wanting to take off my armor I figured that being able to hide wearing it would train better than training without it. Not the case?
Re: Chain vs Leather 01/13/2014 11:56 PM CST
<<As far as not wanting to take off my armor I figured that being able to hide wearing it would train better than training without it. Not the case?>>

Not the case. Unlike regular hunting, adding artificial challenge to the stealth contest won't help you learn better. You'll learn best by getting the maximum success you can. I personally recommend wearing a light chain shirt, cloth head coverage and gloves, and your choice of swappable greaves. Experiment some and see if you can survive swapping out brig and/or plate greaves. If you can't, go with cloth or leather greaves too. Then you should be able to just remove the chain shirt and still hide pretty well. No matter what, you'll probably just have to test for yourself how much armor you have to lose to get your ultimate hiding performance.

By that, I mean you should generally be able to hide, stalk, and ambush at melee over and over without a problem. I think that will be your optimum stealth training.

If you don't need shield for the critter you're training against (i.e., it's not a ranged attacker), try putting away the shield too during your ambushing if you're still having problems getting seen.
Re: Chain vs Leather 01/14/2014 09:24 PM CST
If I was you i'd get used to the idea of swapping out armors. Personally I'd train all armors if I were you. Get a mixed set to use while not training stealths, and a set of light armor for stealth. Its a good investment and you might as well start asap. If your hinderance is to much starting off i'd just do 1 piece at a time until you get a few ranks in the skillset to drop it down a bit.
Re: Chain vs Leather 01/15/2014 02:46 PM CST
I'd try to chain both chain and leather if you can. One of Kodius' planned projects is to make armor weight effect stealth hindrance as well, which will hopefully make chain slightly more possible an option in the future. (Though I can't say how far in the future that may be...)
Re: Chain vs Leather 01/18/2014 10:05 AM CST
If I am going to train both chain and leather and taking it all off to train stealth anyway, is there a best mix of the two on body parts to balance the experience gain?
Re: Chain vs Leather 01/18/2014 12:15 PM CST
I've gone with shirt of one and greaves, gloves, and cowl of the other and that seems to be close.
Re: Chain vs Leather 01/18/2014 02:48 PM CST
Thanks