Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/10/2013 11:34 AM CDT
I currently wear some perfect storm bull leathers, a lumium mail balaclava, lumium mail gloves and a gargoyle hide target shield. My overall hinderance and stealth hinderance has not moved from fairly/fairly for quite some time and i'm wondering if i've maybe just hit the best i can get with this armor combo.

Shield app:
You are certain that it imposes insignificant (1/15) maneuvering hindrance.

Everything else:
If you were only wearing some pitch-black leathers your maneuvering would be insignificantly hindered and your stealth would be insignificantly hindered.
If you were only wearing a lightened mail balaclava your maneuvering would be barely hindered and your stealth would be minimally hindered.
If you were only wearing some mail gloves your maneuvering would be barely hindered and your stealth would be barely hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently fairly hindered and your stealth is fairly hindered.

I know the storm bull leathers are from the old crafting system, so kinda wondering if it may be time to update. I've also tried using Khri Dampen to lower the hinderance even more, and also Skulk and both still result in fairly/fairly hindered. Any suggestions? Wondering if maybe i need to just do away with the full leather suit and start piecing together smaller pieces of armor. Someone showed me some lava-drake scale robes which were extremely light and unhindering, but i dont know how these compare to everything else.
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/13/2013 11:25 AM CDT

You're getting hit by the armor class mixing penalty. That's where 99% of that hindrance is coming from.
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/13/2013 01:12 PM CDT
Ah, was not even aware of that, must have been one of the many things that changed while i was gone and i overlooked. Should i probably just start carrying a few changes of armor around and switch entire sets out instead of mixing now?
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/13/2013 01:32 PM CDT

I don't think that's really the answer the devs want you to have, but if you don't want huge amount of hindrance, yeah.

Me, I just stopped training more than one armor, just not worth the hassle.
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/13/2013 01:40 PM CDT
Yeah, i just feel i'm wasting something when armor locks so fast compared to everything else and then just stays locked for the duration of my hunting trip. Having two armors seemed to be more efficient to me.
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/14/2013 01:15 AM CDT
i thought they got rid of armor mixing penalty? i could be wrong on this but i was pretty certain i had read somewhere they got rid of it? i play a necromancer (armor tert) and i train light, chain and plate at the same time and dont really have much of an issue.

Light Armor: 215 08% nearly locked
Chain Armor: 174 52% enthralled
Plate Armor: 156 41% ruminating

and setup:

a mail cap (chain)
a mail aventail (chain)
a crocodile-skin buckler
some mail gloves (chain)
a heavy plate mask (plate)
some rugged leathers

maybe im just not high enough up the ladder for me to notice it in combat yet, but i can hide just fine also. havent tried ANY of this in pvp mind you.
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/14/2013 05:24 AM CDT
If anything the mixing penalty with armors got worse with 3.0. It did not disappear.
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/14/2013 01:29 PM CDT
I dont really notice the hinderance too often, but it depends on the critter i think. I can hide on raiders just fine, but as soon as i try playin in geni, geni can see just about everything i do unless i have khri skulk up. And as far as i remember, geni are lower on the totem pole than raiders are...
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/15/2013 10:28 PM CDT

You could just sport all leather and swap out kinds of greaves as each armor locks. When you do your stealth training be in all leather with leather greaves, then as you train other weapons just use chain till its locked, then swap into brig, then plate. Also now a days training with no shield is all but not an option and the shield adds hinder too, I would like to see some kind of shield/buckler made that does not add to stealth hinder, maybe a camo shield that would help stealth if anything. I'm not asking for a shield that bonuses stealth but one that did not work against it. Would be a cool crafting item for rangers, if shield was not so majorly important than we could just not use one when firing but right now as it is, if I'm in my area and I'm in parry stance and I accidentally bust out my crossbow, I'm not only getting hit but I have been stunned and died before I had a chance to swap into shield stance. And this is in an area I'm getting ready to move out of so It's not like I'm over hunting. It's just that right now for us to defend me must be using 2 skills.
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/18/2013 08:35 PM CDT
I'm trying to get this armor mixing penalty figured out still. As i understand it, if it all trains the same armor skill, it shouldnt be causing a penalty? For example, with a set of armor that all appraises as chain armor, but consists of MAIL gloves and balaclava, RING shirt and greaves...all chain, just different variations of chain styles. This shouldnt be causing a penalty right? I'm confused because of this...

> inv armor
All of your armor:
some lumium mail gloves
a lumium mail balaclava
some lumium ring greaves
a lumium ring shirt
If you were only wearing some lumium mail gloves your maneuvering would be barely hindered and your stealth would be barely hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is moderately hindered.

and then...

> inv armor
All of your armor:
some coarse lava drake-hide gloves
a lumium mail balaclava
some lumium ring greaves
a lumium ring shirt
If you were only wearing some coarse lava drake-hide gloves your maneuvering would be barely hindered and your stealth would be minimally hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently fairly hindered and your stealth is somewhat hindered.

unless the hinderance levels on elanthipedia.org are incorrect, i just went DOWN one range of overall stealth hinderance even though the gloves are now leather and have one range higher stealth hinderance than the mail gloves. Is this working as intended...or should i bug this?

I think skill levels might be worth considering here as well...currently 196 chain and 229 light armor...not much of a difference, but skill definitely leaning towards leathers. Armor tert as well
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/18/2013 08:47 PM CDT
Missed the word stealth. Nevermind.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/20/2013 10:52 AM CDT
I'm just wanting to know if this armor hinderance thing i'm seeing that i posted above is completely wonky or if there's something i just dont know about. Trying to get my stealth hinderance down as much as possible with my 200ish ranks, but when i see the appraisals i posted above, it makes me feel like i'm already being hit by the armor mixing penalty even when i'm wearing all chain armor.
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/20/2013 12:51 PM CDT
Let me see if I have your question correct?

"You want to know why your chain stealth hinderence is high?"

If I'm assuming correct, It is because you are wearing chain armor.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/20/2013 02:58 PM CDT
>> i just went DOWN one range of overall stealth hinderance even though the gloves are now leather and have one range higher stealth hinderance than the mail gloves. Is this working as intended...or should i bug this?

It seems odd to me that leather gloves would have more stealth hinderance than chain gloves. Material and weight do not affect stealth hinderance as it's based solely on armor type, light < chain < brigadine < plate (unless Kodius made a change he didn't announce or I missed). Maybe you are reading the hinderance scale wrong and the drake gloves actually have less stealth hinderance than the mail gloves?

>>I'm just wanting to know if this armor hinderance thing i'm seeing that i posted above is completely wonky or if there's something i just dont know about. Trying to get my stealth hinderance down as much as possible with my 200ish ranks, but when i see the appraisals i posted above, it makes me feel like i'm already being hit by the armor mixing penalty even when i'm wearing all chain armor.

If you are in chain armor with only 200ish ranks then I wouldn't expect anything wonderful, though I don't think it gets too much better (if any) after those ranks. Some advice would be to drop the mail pieces and use only non-weighted lumium ring pieces if you want to go with chain. In the end if you are worried about your stealth hinderance, then drop chain and use only light armor. Chain is usable for a stealth character but is not at all optimal.
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/20/2013 04:59 PM CDT
...i'm wondering why my stealth hinderance when DOWN when i mixed my armor types if there is some form of penalty for mixing armor types. I tried to be pretty clear with the appraisals...wearing all chain armor, i was moderately hindered. switching out the chain gloves for leather gloves and my stealth hinderance went down to somewhat.

This is assuming SOMEWHAT hindering is less hindering than MODERATELY hindering and BARELY hindered is less hindering than MINIMALLY hindered.

I would be surprised if i saw lower overall hinderance from chain armor than my leather armor, but something here does not add up. My issue is not with chain being more hindering than leather. My issue is the apparent discrepency between what i am seeing in the game vs the only somewhat reliable information resource online other than these forums. Either the posted hinderance scales on elanthipedia are not in the correct order, or there is a bug with hinderance.
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/20/2013 10:17 PM CDT
use perfect fire-cat leathers (2.0 tanned leathers) if you want lower armor and stealth hinderance.
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/21/2013 12:58 AM CDT
dymascus, i wish i could answer your question man. nobody on here is actually answering you. i feel your frustration
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/21/2013 01:11 AM CDT
Armor was basically absent from the 3.0 release notes, and I can't recall -- or find -- any other explanations on how hindrance, stealth or otherwise, should be functioning. Did anything change? Should anything have changed? I'm not sure anybody has any answers here.
Re: Perfect Storm Bull Leathers Hinderance 06/21/2013 05:29 AM CDT
If I had my guess, it would be that stealth hinderance is not effected by the mixing penalty. It ignores many other factors that figure into maneuvering hinderance so it wouldn't surprise me if it also ignored mixing armor types. It's not really a big deal though as it works out in your favor. A rewrite of how stealth hinderance works has been mentioned though it's not the highest priority right now. In the end stealth hinderance is completely odd in how it works but also very predictable. If you want lower hinderance then use lighter armor types, if you don't care about it then go after the heavier armor types. Trying to min-max is pointless as it's static across all armors of each type, and only changes when you change your armor type.

If you want low stealth hinderance use light armor. If it's giving you lower stealth hinderance while mixing armors and it works out in your favor then enjoy it while it lasts. It will be rewritten to make more sense eventually.