Returning after a few years 01/22/2013 05:19 PM CST

I've been trying to catch up on all the changes with 3.0, and there seems to be quite a volume to get through.

Any pointers with regard to leather armor? last I was here it was crafted azure scale, storm bison, or gargoyle hide leathers that took top marks, though now I'm not quite so sure.

I keep seeing waxed things.

is there any advantage to leather vs. light chain now that it's all one skill?

thanks in advance.

-Leuc
Re: Returning after a few years 01/22/2013 05:27 PM CST
>> is there any advantage to leather vs. light chain now that it's all one skill?

Do you mean leather and bone? I had thought light and heavy chain were combined into a single skill, and leather/bone/cloth into another.
Re: Returning after a few years 01/22/2013 05:32 PM CST
Ah, you're right.

Sorry, as I said, just returning
Re: Returning after a few years 01/22/2013 05:34 PM CST
>>Sorry, as I said, just returning

Just in time to join the rest of us old newbies! ;)

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Returning after a few years 01/22/2013 05:39 PM CST
It's an odd feeling to have been puttering around the crossing since it was a free AOL game, then come back and not know whats what
Re: Returning after a few years 01/22/2013 10:23 PM CST
A waxed xxxx is not a type of armor. Waxing is simply a modification you can apply to armor, sort of like how you can temper or balance a weapon.

I'm not up enough on leather armor-making since the changes to recommend you a type, but generally speaking leather is still the best bet for light armor, assuming you can't get your hands on some of the rare quest/auction-quality stuff. Chain hasn't changed much either. Both are very nice armor types, with chain being a little more hindering to stealth,
Re: Returning after a few years 01/28/2013 05:39 AM CST
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Crafting

That's the over view page of the new crafting system that is still being worked on. Leather armor making is under the Outfitting skill in the Tailoring discipline so look there for some info.

For some quick info on what leathers are good now, sharkskin leathers are the least hindering/protecting, shalswar is the most hindering/protecting, and gargoyle is a common middle ground for both.
Re: Returning after a few years 04/03/2013 03:43 PM CDT
>>For some quick info on what leathers are good now, sharkskin leathers are the least hindering/protecting, shalswar is the most hindering/protecting, and gargoyle is a common middle ground for both.

Also keep in mind that Light Armor includes Cloth, Leather, and Bone. Cloth is going to be lighter and less hindering than leather, and bone is more protective but less absorptive than leather (i.e. good at soaking lighter hits, worse at the big hits).

If you're in Crossing there's a shop called RKM Outfitters (or something close) that sells light armors. Some of the light armor crafters I know of are (I think) Kasrendyr, Danoryiel, and Shenae.

My advice: If you're low circle and weight is a problem, wear cloth for a while if you can afford it. You can eventually move up to the heavier stuff. If you'd rather make one purchase now that will last you for a long time, you might try garg leathers.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Returning after a few years 04/17/2013 12:41 PM CDT
People make sharkskin armor? It has the lowest durability of any leather material in the game, and is the second lightest. I can't imagine anyone using it for armor.

Shalswar is the best combination of high density, high physical, and decent durability. You will have insignificant to no stealth hindrance with a full set of shalswar leather, and still have pretty respectable protection.
Re: Returning after a few years 04/17/2013 01:04 PM CDT
> People make sharkskin armor? It has the lowest durability of any leather material in the game, and is the second lightest. I can't imagine anyone using it for armor.

I think it's great. I don't know why people are so concerned about the durability issue; I hunt for hours at a time, and never find myself suffering from it.
Re: Returning after a few years 04/17/2013 01:47 PM CDT
Can you give an appraise of your leathers then? For comparison;
This is a coat, but I wear shalswar greaves, gloves, and cowl.

You feel certain that a rugged shalswar-hide coat with fitted seams appears to impose high maneuvering hindrance and light stealth hindrance, offering:
great protection and very good damage absorption for puncture attacks.
high protection and very good damage absorption for slice attacks.
very high protection and very good damage absorption for impact attacks.
moderate protection and somewhat fair damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and somewhat fair damage absorption for cold attacks.
good protection and somewhat fair damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing a rugged shalswar-hide coat with fitted seams your maneuvering would be insignificantly hindered and your stealth would be barely hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is insignificantly hindered.

I can swap in burlap greaves and gloves which reduces my hindrance to insignificant, and has nearly identical protection/absorption.
Re: Returning after a few years 04/17/2013 02:11 PM CDT
I wear some Kanton drop leather on my torso, but otherwise sharkskin. I'm open to the idea that I could do better, but this has worked fine.

You feel certain that some coarse sharkskin greaves appear to impose light maneuvering hindrance and insignificant stealth hindrance, offering:
high protection and good damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very high protection and good damage absorption for slice attacks.
very good protection and good damage absorption for impact attacks.
fair protection and low damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and low damage absorption for cold attacks.
low protection and low damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing some coarse sharkskin greaves your maneuvering would be barely hindered and your stealth would be barely hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently insignificantly hindered and your stealth is lightly hindered.
Re: Returning after a few years 04/17/2013 02:49 PM CDT
Hmm. My Shalwar greaves:
You feel certain that some thick shalswar-hide greaves with fitted seams appear to impose fair maneuvering hindrance and insignificant stealth hindrance, offering:
high protection and very good damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very high protection and very good damage absorption for slice attacks.
great protection and very good damage absorption for impact attacks.
fair protection and somewhat fair damage absorption for fire attacks.
good protection and somewhat fair damage absorption for cold attacks.
moderate protection and somewhat fair damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing some thick shalswar-hide greaves with fitted seams your maneuvering would be barely hindered and your stealth would be barely hindered.

So... not bad I suppose. I guess for younger players who are worried about weight or maneuvering/stealth, sharkskin might be a good way to go until they can train off the hindrance a bit more. My biggest concern on my necro was stealth; I'm at insig hindrance for it.
Re: Returning after a few years 04/19/2013 01:50 PM CDT
>>I guess for younger players who are worried about weight or maneuvering/stealth, sharkskin might be a good way to go until they can train off the hindrance a bit more.

This. It was fantastic for noobs during the window where Cloth and Leather were separate. Now I mostly recommend cloth. However, sharkskin is on the spectrum as a possibility depending on the level of hindrance/weight you want to deal with.

-- Player of Eyuve