Best leather armor? 10/12/2010 03:26 AM CDT
I'm making to switch from HC to Leather with LC accesories on my Barbarian and training up my stealths. What is the best capped leather armor?

I just came back like a month ago and when I left tanning and forging were still in their infancies. The leathers from Shard, or the ones from Wolf Clan if you didn't mind them being so heavy, were still pretty much the best readily available leather armor so I'm pretty clueless as to what to look for.
Re: Best leather armor? 10/12/2010 07:29 AM CDT
If you intend to train stealth, Firecat leathers are a compromise between protection (2nd or 3rd best, not by a large margin), and hindrance (least hindering).

The most protective is probably storm bull, followed by gargoyle. I don't think I've ever seen someone make buffalo, but that might actually be better if someone did.

Generally, the trader shops are not going to sell bad gear.
Re: Best leather armor? 10/12/2010 08:27 AM CDT
Do Barbarians still train leather down to zero hindrance? I've been gone a very long time. If so I'll pick up some Storm Bull.
Re: Best leather armor? 10/12/2010 10:05 AM CDT
>Do Barbarians still train leather down to zero hindrance? I've been gone a very long time. If so I'll pick up some Storm Bull.

No one can train any armor down to zero hindrance now; not even Paladins. You will always have to make a trade-off between hindrance and protection.

I don't play a Barbarian, but I believe that the effect of hindrance on Dances has also changed a lot since you last played. I think that low hindrance is no longer as vital as it used to be, but I will leave it to your guildmates to enlighten you.
Re: Best leather armor? 10/12/2010 11:13 AM CDT
It's not zero, but the effect of hindrance is minimal. Right now with a LC helm, arm worn buckler, HC gloves and full body leather, I'm at this:

If you were only wearing some perfect firecat-skin leathers your maneuvering would be minimally hindered and your stealth would be insignificantly hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently insignificantly hindered and your stealth is lightly hindered.

With that, I do get the message for being slightly hindered while dancing, but it's not really noticeable.
Re: Best leather armor? 10/12/2010 11:32 AM CDT
Thanks a lot. I've actually got some perfect firecat-skin leathers that I'm using on my Moon Mage that I may just transfer over to my Barbarian and use. Right now I'm using a capped augmented (HC) hauberk.

The only thing is, I'm using a capped Crocodile Skin Shield. Is that really a big difference, hinderance wise, from a capped Gargoyle Hide shield(which I hear is the lowest hinderance; I may be mistaken)? If so I'm sure I can find one pretty easy.
Re: Best leather armor? 10/12/2010 11:37 AM CDT
If I remember correctly, the garg hide shield is insignificantly hindering. I'm using a croc skin buckler as well so haven't had a chance to test yet.
Re: Best leather armor? 10/12/2010 05:45 PM CDT
>If you intend to train stealth, Firecat leathers are a compromise between protection (2nd or 3rd best, not by a large margin), and hindrance (least hindering).

A couple things.

First, there are quite a few tanned leather armors that protect better than firecat leathers (azures, storm bulls, gargoyles, bisons, etc). Their appeal is the moderate hindrance, not their protection.

Second, if training stealths is your concern and you want to wear leather armor, it doesn't matter what leathers you use. In terms of stealth hindrance a set of leathers is a set of leathers is a set of leathers.
Re: Best leather armor? 10/12/2010 07:53 PM CDT
Here is a garg shield, I believe they give one higher level of protection over croc and are less hindering

You are certain that it imposes an insignificant maneuvering hindrance.

This shield is small in size.

You are certain that the shield offers rather low to high protection.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/26) puncture damage
no (0/26) slice damage
heavy (9/26) impact damage

You are certain that the shield is decently (6/14) balanced and is poorly (3/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the alabaster white shield is appreciably susceptible to damage, and is in pristine condition.

It appears that the alabaster white shield can be worn on the left arm.
You are confident that the alabaster white shield might weigh a few tens of stones.
You are certain that the alabaster white shield is worth exactly 50 lirums.

Re: Best leather armor? 10/12/2010 08:32 PM CDT
>Here is a garg shield, I believe they give one higher level of protection over croc and are less hindering

I originally went with the croc buckler because my understanding was that they were lighter/less hindering and would still offer arm-worn capped protection.

Is my information from before garg shields were "discovered", or was the post(s) I read narrowly focused on two inferior choices?

For reference, my croc buckler is "low" hindrance but offers the same protection/damage/balance/suitedness and more durability than the garg shield there when hand-held (marginally vulnerable vs. appreciably susceptible).

~ Kougen

The shadowling exclaims, "Boo ya!"
Re: Best leather armor? 10/12/2010 11:41 PM CDT
>>Is my information from before garg shields were "discovered"

I think it is before discovery. My first crafted shield was a croc, cause those skins are easier to get. Then I hunted gargoyles and compared fresh shields of both. The croc ended being a full level less in protection and a level more hindering. I don't remember how much more durable the croc was than the gargoyle, I figured the higher protection and less hindrance were good enough.
Re: Best leather armor? 10/13/2010 09:23 AM CDT
>>First, there are quite a few tanned leather armors that protect better than firecat leathers (azures, storm bulls, gargoyles, bisons, etc). Their appeal is the moderate hindrance, not their protection.

They all sort of blur together, protection-wise, however.

>>In terms of stealth hindrance a set of leathers is a set of leathers is a set of leathers.

Definitely not true; switching from Firecats to Storm Bull pulled me from lightly to fairly, which does impact hiding on creatures.
Re: Best leather armor? 10/13/2010 10:58 AM CDT
>I don't remember how much more durable the croc was than the gargoyle, I figured the higher protection and less hindrance were good enough.

That's probably more true now, but it sounds like you were comparing croc shields and not bucklers which are different, too. Do any of those compendiums floating around have a full comparison of all three, in both hand-held and arm-worn mode?

~ Kougen

The shadowling exclaims, "Boo ya!"
Re: Best leather armor? 10/13/2010 01:13 PM CDT
>Definitely not true; switching from Firecats to Storm Bull pulled me from lightly to fairly, which does impact hiding on creatures.

Any set of leathers gives the exact same stealth hindrance as any other set of leathers.

Evasion hindrance is no longer related to stealth hindrance.
Re: Best leather armor? 10/13/2010 07:25 PM CDT
Just posting here to back up what Rmel is saying. Leathers are leathers as far as stealth hinderance is concerned. Now, a set of leathers will have more stealth hinderance than a leather coat, but that's because it covers more of your body.

If you discover an exception you should file a bug report. But I'm extremely skeptical that you'll find an exception because the calculation is done by armor type, it doesn't check any statistic on the armor itself beyond chain/leather/bone/cloth/plate/etc.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Best leather armor? 10/14/2010 01:01 AM CDT
>>That's probably more true now, but it sounds like you were comparing croc shields and not bucklers which are different, too. Do any of those compendiums floating around have a full comparison of all three, in both hand-held and arm-worn mode?

Yes shields, what's the big deal with bucklers? I guess I can get a gargoyle and croc and make some bucklers.
Re: Best leather armor? 10/16/2010 08:23 AM CDT
I don't know if it has all the compare data you want, but it should have data for bucklers and a few small shields (hanryutanning).

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Best leather armor? 10/22/2010 04:40 AM CDT
IIRC, theres three shields that are top contenders: Garg shields, crock bucklers, and one more I can't remember... maybe blight ogre?

Garg Shields - same protection as croc, less hindering, but less durability so damages quicker.

Croc Shields - same protection as garg shields, more durable, but more hindering.

??? - The third one is supposed to have the same hindrance as garg shields, same durability as croc shields, but has less protection.

For the life of me I cant remember what the third one was, but its not something you find on tables simply because people don't know enough to buy it. Same reason finding a garg shield is very hard.

Although I haven't looked at the tables in like 4 months.

As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton