Best Leather 08/11/2006 07:11 PM CDT
Who is making the best Leathers out there now? LOoking for a complete set including gloves and helm.

Yavus
Re: Best Leather 08/11/2006 09:20 PM CDT
Send me an IM at caitie1103 and I will get you set with whatever leathers you want/need/etc.
Re: Best Leather 08/12/2006 12:32 PM CDT
Best leathers for protection? Or a combination of lower weight and protection? Need to sorta define what is best in your mind.

For the reinforced leathers that I've seen you need to have 30 strength or above to really take advantage of their pluses. (They're usually pretty heavy.)

If you're looking for something that's a combo of strength and lower weight something a bit lighter might work for you better.

Bluefalcon
Re: Best Leather 08/12/2006 02:24 PM CDT
<<For the reinforced leathers that I've seen you need to have 30 strength or above to really take advantage of their pluses. (They're usually pretty heavy.)

If you're looking for something that's a combo of strength and lower weight something a bit lighter might work for you better.

Bluefalcon>>

I currently wear these:

The battle leathers are leather armor.

The leathers look like they offer protection for the following areas:

neck
right arm
left arm
right leg
left leg
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that some muted black battle leathers branded with a silver wolf appear to impose high maneuvering hindrance and offers:
good protection and fair damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and fair damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and moderate damage absorption for impact attacks.
fair protection and fair damage absorption for fire attacks.
fair protection and fair damage absorption for cold attacks.
moderate protection and fair damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only maneuvering in some muted black battle leathers branded with a silver wolf you would be lightly hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered.

You are certain that the battle leathers are moderately strong, and are in pristine condition.

The battle leathers are moderately soft.
You wonder if the battle leathers might weigh several hundred stones. {610 from Mamma's}
You are certain that the battle leathers are worth exactly 53281 lirums.

Elf Moon Mage with 35 strength.

What would you suggest is best for me?

What

Yavus
Re: Best Leather 08/12/2006 02:49 PM CDT
<<The battle leathers are leather armor.

<<If you were only maneuvering in some muted black battle leathers branded with a silver wolf you would be lightly hindered.
<<But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered.

<<The battle leathers are moderately soft.
<<You wonder if the battle leathers might weigh several hundred stones. {610 from Mamma's}

<<Elf Moon Mage with 35 strength.

::Ponders:: You might want to consider either the thick leathers or collared leathers. The thick ones I wear appraise about the same as the ones you have now, but are lighter. (Just cant make the collared to satisfy me yet.) What type of helm are you using? If it doesnt protect the neck I might go with collared, if it does go with the thick. I'd go with garg hides unless you can afford Polo leathers. (Good but usually pricey.)

The reinforced leathers are great leathers if you melee a lot and have the strength to maneuver in them. I personly like to start hunting with no burden, but I am a stealth fighter. You being a moon mage I assume you're not a melee primary person.

Just saying that there are other things to consider besides the best protection. If you use spells to keep you out of melee either thick or collared leathers might be better for you.

Bluefalcon
Re: Best Leather 08/12/2006 04:38 PM CDT
<<Just saying that there are other things to consider besides the best protection. If you use spells to keep you out of melee either thick or collared leathers might be better for you.>>

Thank you Bluefalcon for the advice.

Yavus
Re: Best Leather 08/15/2006 10:17 PM CDT
How do fire-cats rate?

The firecat-skin leathers are leather armor.

The leathers look like they offer protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
right leg
left leg
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that some perfect firecat-skin leathers appear to impose moderate maneuvering hindrance and offers:
high protection and moderate damage absorption for puncture attacks.
high protection and moderate damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and moderate damage absorption for impact attacks.
fair protection and moderate damage absorption for fire attacks.
low protection and moderate damage absorption for cold attacks.
moderate protection and moderate damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only maneuvering in some perfect firecat-skin leathers you would be insignificantly hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered.

You are certain that the firecat-skin leathers are quite hard, and are practically in mint condition.

The firecat-skin leathers are fairly soft.
You are confident that the firecat-skin leathers weighs about 315 stones.
You are certain that the firecat-skin leathers are worth exactly 793 dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Shadowmancer Stolas, Darkling of the Progeny

"Everyone has a plan till they get hit." -- Mike Tyson
Re: Best Leather 08/17/2006 01:53 AM CDT
Firecats are the best protecting/absorbing tanned armor that have moderate hinderance.

Gargoyles and Azures protect better then Firecats, but they are also high hinderance and weigh more.
Re: Best Leather 08/17/2006 10:31 PM CDT
http://www.tanning.tribehawk.com/search.php?critter=All&patt=reinforced+leathers

I am --- Navak
Re: Best Leather 08/17/2006 11:01 PM CDT
Serpents and Green-scale leather should be on the chart too.

serpent 288 stone g/m m/m g/m l/m f/m m/m mod hinder mod strong

green 240 stone m/m g/m g/m l/m f/m m/m mod hinder mod strong
Re: Best Leather 10/06/2006 11:46 AM CDT
how much money do serpent skin leathers and firecat skin leathers go for usually? I have a set of serpent skin leathers that i would like to trade up for something that protects a little bit better.
Best Leather Breastplate 05/26/2010 02:54 AM CDT
Anyone know which skin/hide generates the best leather breastplate, or any leather type that covers only chest, abdomen, and back?
Re: Best Leather Breastplate 05/26/2010 04:06 AM CDT
Depending on what you need it for, it's generally a toss-up between a black goblin brig, a crimson-scale brig or a dark-scale brig.

There's a chart on page 35 that is pretty helpful.
Re: Best Leather Breastplate 05/26/2010 09:55 AM CDT
...okay now you've got me curious, page 35 of what?
Re: Best Leather Breastplate 05/26/2010 10:42 AM CDT
page 35 of this topic.... https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=11&topic=21&message=2134

Wanderer Larze

Your mind hears Aethyrr thinking, "fyrel I can't lick my hips"
Re: Best Leather Breastplate 05/26/2010 01:08 PM CDT
Generally speaking, chest/abdomen/back leather armor is terrible compared to coats that also protect the arms or leathers which add leg protection. I realize people like to mix armor, and that is a definite benefit, but it bears mention.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Best Leather Breastplate 05/26/2010 08:17 PM CDT
Yes, and Kaxis mentions it on that 'page' (I put this in quotes because I have my Post Per Page set to 40, which ends up meaning that this topic has only 25 pages for me, hence my confusion. Referring to 'post 2000ish' is probably better) that chest only isn't the best armor out there.

I think there's a reason you see a lot of croc and garg stuff out there, because it strikes a good balance of hinderance vs. protection. I have gone the same route Kaxis did at that point, and do a mixture of antelope and bison. But that's personal preference plus a little bit of 'I can't hunt black goblins so I don't wear their skin'. Therefore my opinion doesn't mean much. Blah.