Brawling Viability 12/16/2017 02:47 PM CST

I've been gone for a long time and recently came back. With all the changes in 3.0 I'm doing a lot of relearning and switching things about.

So my question is this:

Is brawling a viable primary weapon skill now when compared against other weapons available, or is it still like it's been in the past, basically just a fun way to earn extra tdps?
Re: Brawling Viability 12/16/2017 03:07 PM CST
> Is brawling a viable primary weapon skill now when compared against other weapons available, or is it still like it's been in the past, basically just a fun way to earn extra tdps?

I'm brawl primary, and I find it works just fine. I mostly just use punch and kick.
Re: Brawling Viability 12/16/2017 04:27 PM CST
It's peppy. And grows nicely with physical stats.

Samsaren
Re: Brawling Viability 12/16/2017 09:45 PM CST
Brawling used to come with huge honking fatigue and balance penalties. It's great now! Any more my fighting style is a hybrid of traditional and brawling- and it's a good way to unbalance critters so you can hit them more easily.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Brawling Viability 12/17/2017 04:07 AM CST
I also have a brawling primary character. It's definitely viable, but personally I would not recommend it under most circumstances. Brawling gear is not currently craftable to the same standards as other weapons, the damage does not feel as good as weapon damage, there's not nearly as much versatility as some weapons (especially Staves and Polearms), and the GMs don't often release cool brawling weapons for special events or auctions.

That said, in rare cases it may be worthwhile, such as with an Empath or Warrior Mage, as their only melee weapon buffs are to Brawling.

- Navesi
Re: Brawling Viability 12/17/2017 02:54 PM CST
>>That said, in rare cases it may be worthwhile, such as with an Empath or Warrior Mage, as their only melee weapon buffs are to Brawling.

Warrior Mage's can buff every melee weapon, AND add fire damage to them too.

Samsaren
Re: Brawling Viability 12/17/2017 09:50 PM CST
>>Warrior Mage's can buff every melee weapon,

They can what now? I need to have a talk with Saragos...

- Navesi
Re: Brawling Viability 12/17/2017 11:26 PM CST

It's a trade-off. Pick one...

MOF: +melee weapon (held, pulses), +agility, fire damage for brawling attacks.

AEG: +shield, +Stamina, +Strength
Re: Brawling Viability 12/20/2017 09:08 AM CST
Can buff all ranged weapons, too, without the caveat of no AEG. Unless things have changed during my hiatus, I can't think of a more potent PvP combo for Warrior Mages than bow/xbox + offhand-throw + TM. (Yes you can off-hand throw with a bow... just have to be quick, i.e. macro.) Crazy damage with no weaknesses if you use your disablers and -balance spells right. It's good to train all weapons, but you only really need those.
Re: Brawling Viability 12/21/2017 04:29 AM CST
TM +damage foci have made weapons somewhat obsolete in PvP for WMs - it's like crossbow, except without having to worry about damage reduction. Targeting time is really the only mitigating factor.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Brawling Viability 12/21/2017 10:32 AM CST
>>TM +damage foci have made weapons somewhat obsolete in PvP for WMs

Kinda hope so, having to rely on a secondary offense in lieu of a primary offense seems a wee silly.

Samsaren