Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/24/2013 05:28 AM CST
Kodius -

Would it be possible to have tactical moves auto advance as most other combat moves do? For example:

>punch
>
You aren't close enough to attack.
You begin to advance on a zombie mauler.

>bob
>
You must be closer to use tactical abilities on your opponent.

You say, "Tada."

WHAM
A sudden burst of oily smelling air strikes you in the face.
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/24/2013 09:23 AM CST
I second this.
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/24/2013 09:25 AM CST
Wasn't this just turned off because tactics were teleporting people to melee?

Pants.
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/24/2013 09:30 AM CST
>>Wasn't this just turned off because tactics were teleporting people to melee?

No. You could actually bob at pole range and it would teleport you to melee. Not the same thing.
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/24/2013 09:33 AM CST
>>No. You could actually bob at pole range and it would teleport you to melee. Not the same thing.

I don't think bob ever did that. You could weave at pole and be teleported to melee.

Most melee maneuvers will tell you "You have to be closer" when used at an inappropriate range, but will also start you advancing on the target. I think that's what the OP is asking for.
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/24/2013 09:41 AM CST
>>I don't think bob ever did that. You could weave at pole and be teleported to melee.

Weave was the main one identified, but all tactics move did it IIRC.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/24/2013 09:48 AM CST
Maybe. I remember weave used to be weird, because it would set you at melee with no RT and no messaging.
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/24/2013 10:20 AM CST
>>Weave was the main one identified, but all tactics move did it IIRC.

Bob was the only one that didn't, presumably because it never checked the opponent's stats or position, so it didn't matter what range you were at. But it got turned off along with the other moves.
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/24/2013 05:11 PM CST
I hope to soon deploy some changes, and these changes will allow the use of bob at missile range and circle/weave at pole and melee. I do not them auto advancing because folks may want to use it for missile or pole ranged combat. So, auto-advancing would defeat this.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/24/2013 05:22 PM CST
>>I hope to soon deploy some changes, and these changes will allow the use of bob at missile range and circle/weave at pole and melee.

<3

You the man Kodius! Thanks a million for this :D

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/24/2013 05:23 PM CST
>>You the man Kodius! Thanks a million for this :D

Tactics maneuvers become even more tactical!
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/24/2013 05:31 PM CST
>>folks may want to use it for missile or pole ranged combat. So, auto-advancing would defeat this.

Yeah! Anything to make pole range viable as something other than a buffer between missle and melee!

Since we're talking about auto-advance and stuff, is there any way that you could make it so if I'm advancing with my pole weapon and hit pole range, it won't auto-charge to melee when I swing? I always forget to manually stop advancing and then I charge everywhere all the freaking time. My work-around for this (since I can't seem to remember to stop advancing for the life of me) is just to stand still when something is advancing on me, throw a dazzle or MB out when the mob hits pole range, and then alternate disablers and quarterstaves to the face.

On second thought, I find charge annoying all the time anyway. Any chance there could be a verb that is used only for charging attacks (could be LUNGE CHARGE or SLICE CHARGE or something similar to the old feint commands), and just let other attack commands message that you're not close enough (and then start the auto-advance)?

wow... random post full of a few loosely related suggestions... here's another: Could there be a way to attempt to maintain missle/pole range by forcing the advancer to succeed at a Xskill vs. Tactics check to see if they can close on me? If I've got a big *$%@-off stick meant to hit someone a couple yards away while they're brandishing a pocketknife at me, it seems reasonable to assume part of my fighting style will be keeping them in range of my stick while keeping myself out of range of their knife.

Ok. Just a few ideas that popped into my head. Thanks!
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/24/2013 07:04 PM CST

Will this also fix the bug that prevents tactical maneuvers from working on flying creatures like wasps? The fact that its flying shouldn't keep me from bobbing and weaving.
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/24/2013 08:14 PM CST
Well, for weaving you need to be able to move around the enemy to get it off balance. That is hard to do if the enemy is flying and incapable of being put off balance... I'll have to code up a special set of rules for bob someday. It isn't an easy thing to add.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 02/25/2013 04:09 PM CST
>On second thought, I find charge annoying all the time anyway. Any chance there could be a verb that is used only for charging attacks (could be LUNGE CHARGE or SLICE >CHARGE or something similar to the old feint commands), and just let other attack commands message that you're not close enough (and then start the auto-advance)?

How about a SET !CHARGE to turn off the auto-charge?
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 06/11/2013 01:01 AM CDT
>>I do not them auto advancing because folks may want to use it for missile or pole ranged combat. So, auto-advancing would defeat this.

I thought auto-advancing only happens if it can't be triggered at that range.

Like if I'm stationary and I swing a weapon at pole range that can hit at pole range, I don't try to advance and/or charge.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Auto Advance with Tactical Moves? 06/16/2013 11:35 AM CDT
Maybe? I don't know how long it would take me to test for that, but I don't have time right now to investigate.