brawling stats 01/23/2013 02:42 PM CST
So, according to Elanthipedia, the majority of damaging brawling maneuvers rely on strength. Is brawling worthwhile and effective in the long run for a low strength, agility heavy character?
Re: brawling stats 01/23/2013 03:47 PM CST
>>Is brawling worthwhile and effective in the long run for a low strength, agility heavy character?

Only ~290 brawling but with a 30 strength/60 agility character I'm not really feeling hamstrung. I'm more concerned that I feel like I get hit more often when brawling than using any other weapon.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: brawling stats 01/23/2013 11:42 PM CST
Brawling should have lower defensive penalties in general than normal weapon attacks.. not sure why you'd be seeing the opposite.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: brawling stats 01/24/2013 09:57 AM CST
>>Brawling should have lower defensive penalties in general than normal weapon attacks.. not sure why you'd be seeing the opposite.

It might just be confirmation bias or poorly analyzing my experiences. I'll try to get you some real data tonight.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: brawling stats 01/24/2013 10:05 AM CST
>>Brawling should have lower defensive penalties in general than normal weapon attacks.. not sure why you'd be seeing the opposite.
>>It might just be confirmation bias or poorly analyzing my experiences.

Any chance it has to do with a tweak Plat hasn't gotten yet? Not sure what that might be though. I don't mean that in any sort of veiled passive-aggressive hint. I really have lost track of which changes we have and haven't received yet.

~The Prydaen~
Re: brawling stats 01/24/2013 10:38 AM CST
Oh, yes the Plat sync should be possible this weekend, assuming we can pull another all-nighter to release 3.0 to TF. Probably why you are having trouble :(

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: brawling stats 01/24/2013 08:36 PM CST
I noticed that brawling performed a lot better for me when I switched to just punches and some weaves. It seems like a couple of the default "attacks" like kick and gouge had some heftier penalties (akin to the big weapon swing moves).
Re: brawling stats 01/24/2013 09:01 PM CST
I think MockerJB might be right, it seems gouge at least comes with a hefty penalty. I use gouge in my hiding script for my attack after hiding and seem to get hit in stompers quite a bit when I vastly outclass them.
Re: brawling stats 01/25/2013 12:17 AM CST
Gouge has a hair more defensive penalty than punch. Kick has a larger defensive penalty than punch, but also inflicts a decent amount of additional damage.

Re: brawling stats 01/25/2013 08:09 AM CST
>>Gouge has a hair more defensive penalty than punch. Kick has a larger defensive penalty than punch, but also inflicts a decent amount of additional damage.

Any chance you could provide us an ordered list for the penalties and attributes of the attack/defense maneuvers? No numbers, just ordered comparison, something simple like:

Defense penalty from low to high:
lunge sweep bash etc

Slice damage from low to high
jab thrust chop slice etc.

Balance gain from low to high
etc. etc.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: brawling stats 01/26/2013 01:44 AM CST
Grim, you can tell these pretty well I think from Punch Help Full etc. It's pretty easy to tell from the defensive hit messaging and balance boost or hit how they scale.
Re: brawling stats 01/26/2013 06:02 AM CST
>>Grim, you can tell these pretty well I think from Punch Help Full etc. It's pretty easy to tell from the defensive hit messaging and balance boost or hit how they scale.

I really don't think that's the case. It's not any better than the app messaging, or combat damage messaging, or mana messaging and those are difficult enough to read that pretty much anyone who uses Genie/Avalon has numbered subs for them.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh